Ardal North West: Goals galore elsewhere, but none in the match of the day

Mark Roberts (blue) on the attack for Denbigh. Picture: STEPHEN WHITFIELD


CPD Porthmadog 0
Denbigh Town 0

Report: Mr Treflyn Jones

Porthmadog goalkeeper Dylan Roberts produced a man of the match performance to deny Denbigh all three points from Saturday’s top-of-the-table crunch clash at Y Traeth.

Roberts saved a first-half penalty and concocted another stunning stop to ensure Port picked up the draw which ensures they stay at the Ardal North West summit.

The hosts started brightly and as early as the fourth minute missed a chance to open the scoring when Dewi Thomas was thwarted by Town keeper Stuart Griffiths in a one-on-one situation and a defender blocked Rhys Alun’s shot from the rebound.

As the first half progressed, it was the visitors who looked the more threatening outfit.

On 28 minutes, Denbigh were awarded a penalty when Ben Fisher brought down down the tricky Lee Davey.

Jake Walker blasted the spot-kick hard and low to the keeper`s right but Roberts pulled off a remarkable save, parrying the ball out for a corner kick.

In the 35th minute Dylan Roberts was the hero again as he somehow kept out Mark Roberts’ fierce strike.

The second half was barely a minute old when Port produced another half chance.

Nathan Craig found Thomas with a fine pass down the left flank and his excellent cross was headed rather disappointingly off target by the hard-working Paul Lewis.

Then, on 57 minutes, there occurred an incident which could have provided a turning point in the match.

As Port pressed forward, John Littlemore was brought down and, a split-second later, Billy Holmes was adjudged to have stamped on him. Referee Arwyn Griffiths, without a glimmer of hesitation, showed the red card.

Thrilling goalmouth action at Y Traeth. Picture: STEPHEN WHITFIELD

Surely, this was now Port`s big chance to break the deadlock, but it was not to be.

If anything, the second half petered out somewhat and it must be said the absence of Port’s creative duo of Julian Williams and Marcus Banks was sorely missed.

Moreover, credit must be given to Denbigh for defending well and continuing to play positively up front.

Port did have the ball in the net thanks to Rhys Alun, who rounded the keeper before blasting home but was foiled by the unwelcome sight of the linesman`s flag.

Dylan Roberts, Gareth Jones-Evans, James Morgan, Stuart Rogers, Sol Kempster, Dewi Thomas (Cian Pritchard 93), John Littlemore, Nathan Craig, Rhys Alun, Paul Lewis, Ben Fisher (Matty Jones 80).

Denbigh Town
Stuart Griffiths, Stuart Jones, Billy Holmes, Moses Barnett, Sion Jones, Keiron Roberts, Sam Tate, Paul Fleming, Jake Walker (Sam Jones 77), Mark Roberts, Lee Davey (Matty Morris 62).

Brickfield Rangers 3 Mold Alexandra 5

Great action from Brickfield (hoops) versus Mold. Picture: CHAS ROWLAND

Goals from Daf Griffith, Danny Warren (2), Tom Edwards and Paul Linfield secured Mold maximum points at Clwyedog Park.

Andy Vale, Haci Ozlu and Lewis Parry replied for Brickfield, who were always behind in the contest.

CPD Y Felinheli 3 Brymbo 2

Y Felinheli (red) take on Brymbo. Picture: PHIL STEAD

Felinheli fought back from two down to beat 10-man Brymbo at the San Seilo.

Adam Lloyd struck twice in the early minutes for the Steelmen, but Iwan Owen hit back for Euron Davies’ side just before half time.

Gavin Lloyd-Jones levelled early in the second half, after which Brymbo’s Aled Powell was red carded for disputing the decision to allow the goal.

Rhys Parry notched the 56th minute winner.

Llanrwst United 2 St Asaph City 1

Llanrwst had to battle hard to see off a stubborn bottom side at Gwydir Park.

Liam Grayson put St Asaph ahead in the fifth minute, but soon Callum Parry equalised to make it seven goals in four matches.

Sam Jones put the Roosters 2-1 up on 28 minutes, taking on a defender down the left and firing a beauty across goal into the net.

A magnificent save from Luke Jones before the break denied Parry a second.

Parry hit the bar and substitute Kyle Kelly struck the post in the second half, but the hosts could not kill off their opponents.

Llanuwchllyn 5 Llandudno Albion 0

Joe Williams made it hat-tricks in successive games for Llanuwchllyn, who took advantage of fellow title hopefuls Porthmadog and Denbigh Town drawing 0-0.

Second place Llan led 2-0 at half time courtesy of a Dan Dascalu double.

After the break Williams notched a 12-minute treble, including a penalty, leaving Albion a well-beaten side.

Nantlle Vale 2 Rhostyllen 0

Aaron Davies-Thomas and Harri Hughes bagged the goals for Nantlle in what was a fine winning performance at home to Rhostyllen.

Rhydymwyn 1 Llay Welfare 2

Dean Bryan and the in-form Jonny Taylor struck for Llay to seal three points at the Mighty Mornflake Oats Ground.

Rhydymwyn had led through Nathan Mendoza’s first-half net-finder.

Saltney Town 6 Blaenau Amateurs 0

Jake Johnson pocketed a hat-trick as Welsh Cup last 16 qualifiers Saltney hit their league opponents Blaenau for six at Sandy Lane.

Ben Evans, Lee Butterworth and Ryan McCleary, who also missed a penalty, made up the half dozen.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: