Ardal North East – how did the game of the season finish up?

Chirk AAA (red) take on Cefn Albion. Picture: CHIRK AAA FC


Chirk AAA 2 (Williams 59, Middlehurst 63)
Cefn Albion 1 (Latham 53)

The game of the season so far in the tier 3 Ardal North East saw Chirk boost their 100 percent record to nine straight wins with a narrow success over arch-rivals Albion.

Seeking revenge for a 2-1 FAW Amateur Trophy loss to the Cefners earlier in the campaign, the Colliers achieved their mission.

It was a feisty and tight affair at Holyhead Road with a large contingent of Albion supporters making the short journey to Chirk.

Both teams battled it out in the first 30 minutes with the Colliers having the majority of possession without creating any real chances.

Cefn carved out the first real opening through Callum Mannion but he shot wide from a good position.

Chirk continued to press and had a header cleared off the line just before the interval.

The second period saw more of the same with AAA’s continuing to dominate possession but it was Cefn who went in front on 53 minutes when Mike Latham took advantage of a defensive mistake to majestically chip keeper Josh Newell from 20 yards – a brilliant goal.

Cefn’s Nic Jones (5 – blue) rises highest in the box. Picture: CHIRK AAA FC

Cefn’s lead was short lived as defender Matty Williams pulled Chirk level on 59 minutes when he shot home from close range.

Things got worse for Albion minutes later when Mannion was shown a second yellow – then a red – on the hour mark.

Chirk’s numerical advantage was immediately exploited when Louie Middlehurst fired them ahead minutes later following a goalmouth scramble.

Cefn tried in vain to get back level, Chirk were not for giving up their lead and comfortably held on to make it nine out of nine.

It was Albion’s first league defeat but they are a strong team and will be challenging for honours at the end of the season.

Man of the match with a brilliant display was Chirk forward Dale Davies.

Josh Newell, Adam Williams, Ryan Williams, Jake Ellison, Matty Williams, Ryan Davies, Jake Jones (Liam Sklenar 79), Ashton Williams, Dale Davies. Nathan Lavender, Louie Middlehurst (Lewis Clamp 67).

Josh Roberts, Jamie Foulkes, Tyler Wilkinson, Nathan Williams, Nic Jones, Andrew Watkin, Kien Morris, Dion Gibbins, Mike Latham, Ryan Kershaw, Callum Mannion.

Caersws 5 Corwen 2

Corwen celebrate Tom Williams’ equaliser. Picture: GAVIN BILLINGTON


Three Caersws goals in seven minutes in the latter stages sank Corwen.

For the second match running, Guy Handscombe’s team were beaten and conceded five in the process.

The hosts broke the deadlock in the 10th minute when William Thomas’ long-distance effort was saved by goalkeeper Josh Williams, but Neil Mitchell was first to react to the loose ball and found the net.

Seven minutes later it was 1-1 when Kevin Day fed Owen Cordiner, who turned and finished from close range.

On the half-hour Corwen lost the ball on the halfway line, allowing Nefen Savage to find Thomas. He played in Luke Mumford, who unleashed an unstoppable shot into the far top corner.

Corwen almost levelled when Oliver Crimp’s cross into the box hit a defender and smacked against the crossbar.

Half-time: Caersws 2 Corwen 1

The visitors were fast out of the blocks for the second half, Tom Williams seeing his shot saved by Edward Harding.

Owen nodded over the bar before Williams’ header was clawed away by Harding.

In the 69th minute Ryan Billington found Williams, who lobbed over the advancing keeper and into the back of the net to make it 2-2.

Cordiner’s header was saved and Corwen looked capable of going on to win before three goals in seven minutes won it for the Bluebirds.

Thomas fired into the far corner before two minutes later, Mumford’s corner was headed in by Rhydian Davies.

It was game, set and match in the 78th minute when Thomas played the ball across the box into the path of Mitchell, who made no mistake.

Rhos Aelwyd 4 Dolgellau 0

Scott Reeves struck twice for a Rhos side who produced some outstanding football.

Reeves broke the deadlock after 10 minutes and then James Rumsey finished at the back post on 25.

Before the break, Reeves completed his brace after chasing a loose ball when everyone had given up on it and slotted past the keeper.

The Aelwyd continued to dominate in the second half and Ian Hughes had a tap in with minutes to go after a great ball by Ed Neale found him clear at the back stick.


Penycae on the attack against Carno. Picture: BRIAN PRYDDEN

Penycae and Carno played out a 3-3 draw at The Riverside.

Jaden Jones and Austin Owen (2) provided the home goals, Joe Morris (2) and Sean Wild having put the visitors 2-0 and 3-1 up.

Joe Haycock (2), Craig Pearce and Richard Davies guided Berriew to an impressive 4-1 triumph at Bow Street, Sion Ewart replying.

Ryan Knott hit all four for Welshpool Town in a 4-0 pounding of Penparcau.

Kerry recovered from 2-0 down to pip Four Crosses 3-2.

Tai Jones (2, 1 pen) and Daryl McWatt turned the tables after Jordan Gerrard and Ben Simms put the visitors in seeming control.

On Friday night, Llanfair United were 4-2 winners at Machynlleth.

Tom Gregory, Josh Astley and Max McLaughlin (2) made up the second-place team’s tally, Richie Evans and Dillon Browne with an unreal strike providing the Mach replies.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: