Amlwch victorious on the road but nine-player NFA have keeper sent off and crash at Welshpool

Emma Roberts scored twice for Amlwch. Picture: GETHIN JONES


Holywell 0
Amlwch Town 5 (E Roberts 2, Ridges, L Thomas, T Hughes)

Emma Roberts struck twice for an Amlwch side which maintained their strong finish to the season.

Already assured of a top-four finish, the Anglesey side started the game with just nine players on the field due to travel disruption.

Eventually the visitors got up to the full complement and set about earning the three points.

Coach Emma Roberts, fresh from an enlightening visit to Cardiff to take part in the ‘BE Football: Mentoring for Her’ project with the FAW Trust, gave Amlwch the lead direct from a corner.

Emily Ridges doubled the advantage for the islanders with a good run followed by a low driven shot which the keeper was unable to stop.

When the ball took an awkward bounce in front of the keeper, Tesni Hughes was able to capitalise and score her 18th goal of the season.

Half time 3-0

The second half saw Town add two more goals.

Lowri Thomas made it 4-0 with a powerful strike which went in off the bar.

And Emma Roberts, daughter of former Bangor City player Steve, rounded things off with a looping strike from outside the area.

Amlwch coach Mo Eynon said: “Thank you to Holywell for the welcome and a good game, played in the right manner by two hard-working sides.”

Amlwch Town

Ceri Pritchard, Emily Ridges, Catrin Thomas, Emma Roberts, Anna Roberts, Joanna Bramwell, Meinir Thomas, Tesni Hughes, Lowri Thomas, Caitlin O’Neill, Laura Eynon. Subs: Cerys Gadd, Carol Lewis, Sara Furlong.

Welshpool Town 4 (Thorpe 12, Adams 23, B Jones 35, Walker 81)
NFA 2 (Benjamin 54, Windsor 63)

After making the long journey to Powys with just nine players the last thing NFA needed was their goalkeeper sent off inside the first five minutes.

Unfortunately that is the fate that befell the Rhyl visitors with Courtney Ingram dismissed for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Rachel Lloyd took over between the sticks and even with eight NFA still battled hard and tested their hosts.

However, by half time Welshpool had a handy 3-0 lead courtesy of goals from Madeleine Thorpe (12 minutes), Jasmine Adams (23) and Bethan Jones (35).

Into the second half and NFA made a real go of things, pulling one back on 54 minutes through Sade Benjamin before Stella Windsor made it 3-2 after 63.

Unfortunately, the equaliser never came and Town made sure of the points with an 81st minute strike from Shannon Walker.

NFA can still finish runners-up if they take a point in their final game at home to Amlwch Town.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: