North East Wales League – giant-killers Connah’s Quay Town into final, Halkyn and Flint Mountain edge derby

Tom Burrows of Halkyn and Flint Mountain (white and black) in pursuit against Greenfield. Pictures: MATT JOHNSON


Mike Beech Memorial Trophy quarter-finals

Greenfield 0
Halkyn and Flint Mountain 1 (Hughes 88)

Charlie Hughes struck the winner two minutes from time to send Halkyn and Flint Mountain into the semi-finals of the Mike Beech Memorial Trophy.

Mountain will now take on FC Queen’s Park at home next Saturday (April 16) for a place in the final, where Connah’s Quay Town await.

Saturday’s all-North East Wales Premier Division tie at the Bernie Williams Memorial Ground saw league leaders Greenfield host a Halkyn and Flint Mountain side who are third in the table, 10 points behind their Holywell-area rivals but with two games in hand.

Sam Jones puts in a challenge for Halkyn and Flint Mountain (white and black) against Greenfield’s Danny Calvert. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

This was Mountain’s third visit to Greenfield this season, having lost there 3-2 in the NEWFA Challenge Cup last August, but enjoying a 2-0 victory on the same ground in the league the previous month.

The hosts had an early chance when Luke Robinson in the Mountain goal was unable to collect the ball, but the resulting shot was put over the bar.

In a fairly tight first half, neither keeper had much to do.

Tom Burrows on the chase for Halkyn and Flint Mountain (white and black). Picture: MATT JOHNSON

After the break, Sam Jones and Hughes both shot over the target for Mountain, while Robinson was forced into a couple of low saves to deny Greenfield, who were enjoying plenty of possession.

In the 72nd minute, Mountain were reduced to 10 men when Pete Martin was sent off for a second yellow card.

Nonetheless, the game remained goalless until the 88th minute when a ball forward was flicked on by Connor Turner into the path of Hughes. He beat a defender to it, knocked it over goalkeeper Andrew Billington, and managed to tap in from close range.

Greenfield thought they had equalised in the last minute of injury time, but the referee had spotted a handball before the net was found.



Andrew Billington
Owen Davies
Dylan Roberts
Sion McHugh
Liam Simon
John Newton
Lewis Williams
Danny Calvert
Ryan Jones
Connor Hughes (Darren Johns 79)
Dean Hyland (Brett Johns 73)

Halkyn and Flint Mountain

Luke Robinson
Tom Burrows
Jack James-Mantle
Alex Goundrey
Pete Martin
Scott Hewitt
Louis Davies
Sam Jones
Alistair Gibson (ConnorTurner 58)
Aled Reece (Stephen Alcock 79)
Charlie Hughes

Mike Beech Memorial Trophy semi-finals

Lex XI 1 (Kidd 74)
Connah’s Quay Town 1 (Hewitt 15)
(Quay won 5-4 on penalties)

Championship side Connah’s Quay Town claimed their fourth Premier Division scalp of the competition as they saw off Lex on penalties to make the Mike Beech Memorial Trophy final.

To win the competition they will need to overcome a fifth higher division opponent as Premier sides Halkyn and Flint Mountain and FC Queen’s Park meet in the other semi this Saturday (April 16).

Having already beaten Chirk Town in the group stage, then New Brighton Villa and Castell Alun Colts in the knockout rounds, next up for the Quay were Lex, who had won their last four games.

Ryan Hewitt put the third-place tier 5 Championship side into a 15th minute lead at Stansty Park.

Seb Kidd levelled for the tier 4 Lawmen on 74 minutes and with no further goals, penalties were required to determine a winner.

It was 5-4 to Town when Dan Cooper saved the final spot-kick to send the visitors through


Lex: Lewis Hallam, Chris Hewitt (N/A 90+), Liam Collo, Jason Edwards, Nicky Chesters, Josh Betteley, Finley Dyer, Ricky Evans, Alan Huxley (George Baxter 46), Seb Kidd, Aron Carter (N/A 46)

Connah’s Quay Town: Dan Cooper, Lee Butterworth, John Leonard, Kyle Amos, Kyle Reid (Callum Woods 90+), Ben Howarth, Will Leonard (Pascal Gomez 51), Lee Reynolds, Jamie Wynne (Sean Williams 79), Ryan Hewitt, Jake Reilly.


Chirk Town missed a chance to return to the summit when they were held 1-1 at home by FC Queen’s Park.

Jack Hanley put the Park in front in the 69th minute only for Jonathan Mitchell to equalise on 80.

Ryan Tierney was a hat-trick hero as Hawarden Rangers triumphed 3-1 at Cefn Mawr Rangers, Perry Shoemark replying.

Benjamin Wilson also netted three times for Llangollen Town in their 4-1 whipping of Mynydd Isa Spartans.

Jake Hayward scored first for the hosts before Wilson took centre stage, Kallum Pierce getting a consolation for the visitors.

Samuel Moffatt’s 64th minute strike was enough to earn New Brighton Villa a 1-0 verdict at Overton Recreational.


Caerwys Reserves kept up their good run of form with a valuable three points on a sunny afternoon in Flintshire, reports Steve Griffith.

Luke Williams gave the hosts a second-minute lead when he tapped in a precision cross from the left wing by Jack Swinnerton.

Swinnerton got himself into trouble with match ref Lewis Greenwood after 20 minutes when he was sent off along with Ben White after White retaliated following a midfield tussle.

The visitors got back into the game and equalised after 35 minutes when Dylan Jones swivelled on the edge of the box before firing into the top right hand corner of the net, giving Jaedon Murie between the sticks no chance.

Keeper Murie got down well a few minutes later to deflect a bobbling free kick over the bar from Matthew Bithell before Caerwys went ahead two minutes before the break.

Lewis Harrison’s free kick from 20 yards out was well placed beyond the reach of Luke Daniels.

After the interval Queen’s Park looked the more likely to score, but just couldn’t find the target with Caerwys limited to rare attacks.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: