North Wales Coast East League – Sports and Llanelwy lose 100 percent records

Meliden (orange) on the attack against Llandudno Junction. Picture: TONY HARRISON



Llandyrnog United 2 (Jones 11, Lawson-Cooke 90)
Prestatyn Sports 2 (Kemp 37, Middleman 90+5)

David Lawson-Cooke put Llandyrnog 2-1 up in added time

Llandyrnog halted the 100 percent record of a Prestatyn Sports side which needed a last-gasp equaliser to salvage a point at Cae Nant.

Arriving in the Vale of Clwyd with eight straight wins behind them, Sports were firm favourites to beat a Dyrny outfit on a poor run of form.

However, the hosts started brightly and took the lead after a brilliant Matthew Griffiths cross found the head of Craig Jones, who powered his effort into the net.

The visitors appeared a little stunned and soon after Craig Jones found the net again, but the referee ruled it out as he felt there was a push from Les Brophy in the build up.

Sports almost found themselves 2-0 down, but for another goal to be disallowed, this time for an offside call against Nathan Rose.

It was a very tight decision, the hosts felt hard done by.

This rallied Sports into action. Simon Fawcett went on a tremendous mazy run from his own half and won a free kick 25 yards from goal. Up stepped Tom Kemp, who rifled into the top corner.

Sports won a penalty in first half stoppage time, but Ian Griffiths’ strike was superbly saved by Dylan Jones.

Half-time: 1-1.

The second half started with Dyrny soaking up pressure well.

Club stalwart, 54-year-old Derry Morris, along with Brophy and Jamie Jones in the heart of the defence managed to win a lot of key battles against a very dangerous Sports front-line.

The hosts managed a counter attack, Craig Jones was scythed down from behind – penalty.

Sean James took it, but had his effort saved by Ryan Jones.

Chances were few and far between for Llandyrnog until in the 90th minute, a long ball from Dylan Jones found David Lawson Cooke, who burst through the defence and made it 2-1.

Sports now threw everything at the stubborn hosts. With 95 minutes on the clock, captain Shane Middleman slammed a shot beyond the reach of Dylan Jones to secure a draw for the leaders.

Llandyrnog manager Jimmy McNally said: “I felt we competed well in the game, and I genuinely thought that we could have taken all three points. Every single one of my lads ran themselves into the ground, and they feel gutted not to win the game.

“I have to give credit to Prestatyn Sports for their fight and willingness to ensure they came away with something right at the end of the game, that’s why they’re fighting for the title at the end of the day.

“But I feel the two goals we had chalked off should have stood in all honesty, but that’s my viewpoint on it, and at the end of the day, the ref has difficult judgement calls to make without any support.

“All in all, I’ll settle for a point. It’s a positive for us to take into our next game, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t gutted in the end not to take all 3. Best wishes to John (Hargreaves) and his boys for the rest of the season, they’ll be hard to stop.”

Llandudno Junction 1 Meliden 5

Match report by Ron Squire
Photography by Tony Harrison

Man of the Match Sam Haddon struck twice for a Meliden side which scored three late goals to make it five wins out of six.

The breakthrough came in the 21st minute.

A quickly taken throw-in by Paul Welburn landed nicely for Ashley New to play Sam Duffy in. The striker then skipped past a couple of defenders and placed the ball into the net.

Meliden could have been well clear by the break, but Railwaymen keeper Connor Murphy was outstanding.

Junction’s George Roberts chipped his own keeper and the ball came off the underside of the crossbar, but did not land over the line.

It was not until the 70th minute that the visitors scored again, Haddon on target.

From the restart, Junction attacked and were awarded a penalty which Mathew Jones converted.

On 77 minutes, the goal of the game saw Rhys Dowinton’s bicycle kick make it 3-1.

Haddon turned the ball into the net from a corner before substitute Lucas Edwards cut in from the right and shot past the keeper to complete the scoring.

CPD Y Rhyl 1879 3 (Lamb 63 & 90+1, Fairhurst 90+4)
Kinmel Bay 2 (Marsh-Evans pen 53, Hulse 55)

Rhys Fairhurst’s 35-yard rocket clinched a dramatic derby in 1879’s favour.

Rhyl trailed 2-0 in the second half only for a stunning comeback which included two added-time goals to seal them maximum points.

The first half ended 0-0 with Kinmel keeper Luke Wilmot in fine form.

Bay started the second period strongly and within 10 minutes were two-up courtesy of a Matty Marsh-Evans penalty and brilliant Ryan Hulse strike.

The hosts started to come alive with 30 minutes left, firstly gaining a penalty which saw Nick Jones sent off handling on the line.

However, Carl Lamb blazed over, and the home fans must have thought it was not to be.

Minutes later, though, Lamb made up for it with a classic header to make it 2-1.

Lamb fired into the top corner in the 91st minute after which visiting keeper Wilmot saw a second yellow and was given his marching orders for unsporting behaviour.

Then the coup de grace, Fairhurst’s long distance rocket to win the game.

Glan Conwy 2 Llanfairfechan Town 2

Three players were sent off in this drawn encounter at Cae Ffwt.

Anthony Gustafson was shown a red card and Jamie Jones two yellows for Glan Conwy, while Ben Seager was dismissed for the visitors.

Gustafson scored one and provided the assist for Matthew Williams to notch Glan’s second, but a Robin Roberts goal for Llanfairfechan and Elliot Croston’s late equaliser ensured a 2-2 ending.

CPD Llannefydd 2 Penmaenmawr Phoenix 1

Second-placed Llannefydd edged past a Phoenix side in good form.

Jack Davies and Llion Morris netted for the hosts, Chris Quinn replying.

Mochdre Sports 5 Bro Cernyw 1

Chris Lloyd was a hat-trick hero in this emphatic triumph for Mochdre.

Alex Williams and Ben Evans added singles for the hosts, Robin Hughes the Bro Cernyw marksman.

Evans’ goal from 45 yards was an absolute stunner.

Rhuddlan Town 3 Llansannan 3

Josh Brown scored five minutes into added time to secure a share of the points for Rhuddlan.

It was Brown’s second goal of the game, Mathew Beach also on the mark for the hosts.

Rhidian Edwards, Joe Maguire and Steffan Tomos responded for Llansannan, who took a 93rd minute 3-2 lead.


Llandudno Amateurs brought an end to Llanelwy Athletic’s 10-match winning streak with a 2-1 victory.

Joe Jones and Luke Nichols bagged the away goals, Dan Porter with an added time reply for the hosts after Liam Rowland-Jones had missed a penalty.

Abergele saw off Y Glannau 3-1, Zack Lawrence (2) and James Lloyd on target, Gerard O’Malley replying.

Cerrigydrudion moved four points clear at the summit after Tomos Tryfan Jones’ first half goal booked a 1-0 victory at NFA.

Craig Lavery and Jason Hession put CPD Caer Clwyd 2-0 up at Penrhyn Bay Dragons, but the hosts battled back to earn a 2-2 draw with goals from Jamie Ricketts and Scott Kearney.

Rhos United took the honours 3-1 at Rhyl All Stars, Phemmy Allison, Ray Lee and Scott Court the away hitmen, Macauley Lewis for the hosts.

Henllan were surprise 2-0 winners at Rhyl Dragons, Alex Thomas and Harry Nash both scoring in added time.

Colin Sargerson was red carded for the Dragons after 23 minutes.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: