Match reports: North Wales Coast leagues – tier 4 and 5 (Wednesday, August 4)

Sports (red) take on Kinmel Bay. PHOTOS: MATT JOHNSON

Prestatyn Sports 3 (Mike Jones 15 & 46, Ryan Brady 28)
Kinmel Bay 1 (Matthew Marsh-Evans 61)
North Wales Coast East Premier Division

Top scorer Mike Jones made it five goals for the season with a double for Prestatyn Sports in Wednesday’s 3-1 win at The Meadows.

A brilliant local derby was on show and credit to Kinmel Bay who started the brightest and put the hosts under real pressure for the first 10 minutes.

Against the run of play, Jones charged down the keeper from a long ball over the defence and won it. The ball went Jones’ way and he finished from close range.

Fantastic view shot from the lens of MATT JOHNSON

This turned the tide and Sports produced a fine passing display for the rest of the half. This resulted in Ryan Brady getting a goal following a great chipped pass from Sam Herd on the left wing.

Half-time: 2-0

Right at the start of the second half Sports made it 3-0 with a goal almost straight from the kick off.

James Witherspoon, on as a second-half sub, delivered a great cross from the left and Jones was there again to finish.

Lots of players and a good few supporters in this corking shot from MATT JOHNSON

A few more substitutions in the second half changed the pattern of the game and fair play to Kinmel they finished the better, displaying some good football down the left.

In the 61st minute, the ball was drilled across the box and Matthew Marsh-Evans was on alert to slot home to the keeper’s right.

Sports stood firm and saw the game out well from there – a good three points in the bag and two league wins out of two at this early stage of the campaign.

Llanfairfechan Town 5 (Tom Croston 8 & 80, Rhys Griffiths 15, Danny Hughes 54 & 90) CPD Llansannan 2 (Liam Jones 10, Steffan Tomos 13)
North Wales Coast East Premier Division

Llanfairfechan were highly impressive winners on Wednesday. Picture: Llanfairfechan Town FC Facebook page

An incident-packed first 15 minutes saw Llanfairfechan reduced to 10 men and both sides score two goals apiece.

Things calmed down – in the goal stakes at least – until the second half, when 10-man Town scored three times to secure a brilliant result.

Llanfair’s Ryan Dodd was red carded within the first five minutes, but Tom Croston soon edged the hosts in front before Liam Jones and Steffan Tomos struck in quick succession to put Llansannan 2-1 up.

However, in no time a 30-yard screamer from Rhys Griffiths made it two-apiece and it stayed that way up to half time.

The second half began with ‘Fechan on the front foot, winger Danny Hughes carrying the fight to Llansannan with skillful runs drawing fouls. And it was Hughes who put Llanfairfechan in front for the first time on the night.

From there on the hosts dug in and after 80 minutes the game was put beyond Llansannan with a moment of outrageous skill from substitute Ellis Jones, who turned sharply and crossed for Croston to bag his second.

Llansannan launched attack after attack in the final 10 minutes, forcing Town to defend resolutely.

With a few block tackles and good saves from Kyle Jones the visitors were kept at bay.

And with time almost up a long clearance forward resulted in Danny Hughes outpacing the opposition centre back and confidently dinking the keeper to confirm a resounding victory for the 10-men.

CPD Llannefydd 2 (Llion Morris 80, Ciran Jones 87) CPD Y Rhyl 1879 2 (Carl Lamb 13 pen, 82)
North Wales Coast East Premier Division

Jared Roberts was Llannefydd’s star player against Rhyl 1879

Rhyl manager Gareth Thomas thinks his team can forget about winning the league if they produce many more performances like this.

Despite leading twice at Llannefydd, the visitors had to be content with a 2-2 draw.

In an honest after-match interview, Thomas said: “We were lucky to get a point.

“We started off well, got a penalty, created a couple of chances, then to be fair they started dominating the play. We went in 1-0, but it wasn’t good enough first half.

“Second half it was like The Alamo. I think we had to defend for near 45 minutes.

“They got one with 10 to go, instead of the lads’ heads going down we scored straight away, but to go and concede again after going 2-1 up in the manner we did is not good enough.

“If we don’t buck our ideas up it won’t be getting us the league.

“We keep saying away from home – that’s where the league will be won and we just didn’t compete with them today, they were the better side.

“Saying that it could be an important point come the end of the season.”

Carl Lamb converted a 13th minute penalty for 1879, and after that the visitors missed a couple of good chances to double the lead.

Llannefydd came on strong in the second half and deserved an 80th minute equaliser when Llion Morris timed his jump perfectly from a corner to head home.

Rhyl hit back straight away through Lamb, but Ciran Jones made it 2-2 three minutes from time.

Gaerwen 1 (Jamie Baker 20) CPD Aberffraw 1 (Richard Roberts 35)
North Wales Coast West Premier Division

Gaerwen’s management: Spud Thomas, Christy Pritchard and Vinny Walker

Having lost their first five matches of the season, conceding 38 goals along the way, Gaerwen stopped the rot in tremendous fashion with a well-deserved point at home to Aberffraw.

In just their second game in charge, new managers Vinny Walker and Spud Thomas witnessed a big performance from their men at Lon Groes.

A message on the club’s social media said after the match: “What a game from start to finish!

“It has been hard for the club the last few weeks and we have all pulled together as a club – players, our new managers and committee.

“We are thrilled to get a point from tonight’s match and hopefully this is a sign of things to come.”

Jamie Baker put Gaerwen in front, but Richard Roberts equalised for Berffro before half time.

Mochdre Sports 4 (Kai Davies 33, Fin Jones 36, Josh Grimshaw 37, Josh Johnson 63) Llandyrnog United 1 (David Lawson-Cooke 24)
North Wales Coast East Premier Division

He’s Fin-tastic! Fin Jones netted for Mochdre Sports

After a loss and a draw in their first two league matches, Mochdre Sports got the outcome they have been searching for on Wednesday night – a win.

They fell behind on 24 minutes at the 4 Crosses Arena – home of Colwyn Bay FC but Mochdre’s adopted base for the evening – to a goal from Llandyrnog’s David Lawson-Cooke.

However, a clinical 10 minutes before the break saw Sports sail into a 3-1 half time lead. Kai Davies, Fin Jones and Josh Grimshaw fired in the goals.

The second half was a tight contest but Mochdre extended the lead to 4-1 with a 63rd minute Josh Johnson strike and saw out the game after a late Llandyrnog push.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: