Reports from Ardal North West and North East plus NEWFA Challenge Cup – great wins for Rhostyllen, Rhyd, Chirk and Isa

Goalmouth action from Llay Welfare versus Rhostyllen. Picture: CHAS ROWLAND


Llay Welfare 1 (Tom Wells 61) Rhostyllen 2 (Scott Swords 65, Tom Douglas 90+)

A dramatic encounter at The Ring saw nine-man Rhostyllen snatch victory deep into injury time.

After a goalless first half, the match took a major turn on the hour when Drew Wickens and Steven Allman were both sent off for the visitors.

To make matters worse for Rhostyllen, Tom Wells put Llay one-up soon after.

Match-winner Tom Douglas of Rhostyllen on the ball. Picture: CHAS ROWLAND

However, away hopes of an unlikely positive result were lifted when Scott Swords made it 1-1 in the 65th minute.

The match looked to be heading for a draw until in the 93rd minute Tom Douglas applied a cool finish to win it for the nine-men.

Rhydymwyn 2 (Nathan Mendoza 59, Sam Haley 90+) Brickfield Rangers 1 (Harry Massey 90)

Sam Haley plundered a 95th minute winner to deliver all three points for Rhydymwyn in their first Ardal North West fixture of the season.

Visitors Brickfield Rangers had looked near certs to earn a draw after Harry Massey equalised for them in the 90th minute, but there was one last twist to come.

Anthony Weaver and Jordan Parry’s side came into Wednesday’s league opener at the Mornflake Mighty Oats Ground in good form after cup wins over Llandyrnog United and Meliden.

In the first half, Brickie had good chances through Lewis Parry and Issac Dawson, but the game remained goalless at half time.

Following the restart, a Rangers’ free kick hit the left post, but just before the hour mark the deadlock was finally broken.

Rhyd’s Nathan Mendoza headed home a precision free kick from Iwan Rogers to make it 1-0.

The home side went on to control the game, but in the 90th minute Brickfield’s Massey made it all-square after the referee judged the ball to have crossed the line during a scramble in the six-yard box.

The drama was not over, however.

Five minutes into overtime, Rhyd won a free kick which Rogers again struck perfectly and substitute Haley was there to head in the decider.


Corwen 0 Chirk AAA 5 (Matty Thomas 29, 60 & 89, Jack Edwards 34, Lewis Clamp 46)

Hat-trick hero Matty Thomas. Picture: CHIRK AAA FC FACEBOOK PAGE

A Matty Thomas hat-trick fired The Colliers to a second emphatic league win in four days with a comprehensive 5-0 success at Corwen.

Andy Pryde’s men had kicked off their Ardal North East campaign in perfect fashion on Sunday with a 4-0 home thrashing of Dolgellau AA.

Corwen, who had won 5-1 at Machynlleth on Saturday, started strongly and put the Chirk rearguard under pressure from the off.

But the away side stood firm and gradually got a foothold in the game with Nathan Lavender, Jake Simms, Jack Edwards and Lewis Clamp commanding the midfield area.

Thomas got his first on 29 minutes, with Jack Edwards scoring the second on 34 after keeper James Mallon failed to hold a shot from Thomas.

Clamp pocketed his first of the season straight after the restart when he fired fiercely past Mallon.

Thomas notched his second on the hour before completing his hat-trick minutes from time with a powerful header.

Another powerful display from Chirk and they return to Corwen on Saturday to do battle in the second round of the FAW Trophy.


Mynydd Isa Spartans 2 (Sam Reilly 45 pen, Joe Mitchell 89) Hawarden Rangers 1 (Jack Williams 37)

Joe Mitchell

Sweet revenge for Spartans who turned the tables on a Hawarden side which beat them 4-2 in the Welsh Cup last month.

On Wednesday a place in the next round of the NEWFA Challenge Cup was at stake and the first half was relatively quiet.

In the 37th minute a cross from Dan Roberts picked out Jack Williams, who headed in to make it 1-0 to Hawarden.

Close to the interval, Spartans went close through a Jordan Walker free kick which Rangers keeper Jonathan Simpson saved well to his top right.

Going into the second half Spartans knew they had to pick up the pace. The pressure paid off when Tom Swinburne collided with Kal Pierce in the box and the referee pointed straight to the spot.

Sam Reilly stepped up confidently and hit the ball to the bottom right corner for 1-1.

At the other end of the field the defensive duo of Mike Fleetwood and Shaun Thomson were clearing up everything, the latter heading off the line from a corner to keep the scores level.

Spartans made two changes, bringing on Aide Davies and Joe Mitchell going into the final quarter. A red card followed for Hawarden when Ryan Dunn flew into Walker late and had to go.

Mynydd Isa took full advantage and several chances came in quick succession, Jack Aitken playing in Mitchell with a fine through ball, but Simpson saved well.

As the clock ticked down Spartans forced a corner, top assister Joey Jones swung in the ball, it was knocked on and Mitchell rising at the back post nodded into the goal.

The defender sliding in on the line cleared the ball but the referee was perfectly positioned on the byline to see it had crossed the line.

Spartans went into full celebrations. It was Mitchell’s sixth goal of the season, it sent Mynydd through to the next round and the club are buzzing.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: