Flashback – 10 years ago: Bangor City make it to a fourth successive Welsh Cup semi-final

Dave Morley converted from the penalty spot for City. Picture: Citizens Choice website

Port Talbot Town 0
Bangor City 3 (Moss 48, Morley pen 75, Bull 78)
Welsh Cup quarter-final – February 20, 2011

Bangor were made to battle all the way but ran out 3-0 winners, recorded a 21st straight victory in the Welsh Cup and reached the semi-final stages for the fourth year in a row.

The blank first half saw Port Talbot enjoy a share of possession and force the blues defence, shorn of captain Jamie Brewerton by a late FAW ruling, stand firm to protect Paul Smith.

Bangor’s best chance of the first period came when Les Davies sent Alan Bull clear but on loan goalkeeper David Cornell saved with his feet as an early lead beckoned.

The closest Talbot went to a breakthrough came as Lloyd Grist’s inviting cross from the left was headed cleanly by Luke Bowen but Paul Smith – as often before in the Welsh Cup – pulled off an excellent save and the danger passed.

Half-time: 0-0

With just three minutes of the second half gone Bangor had the lead. Nicky Ward’s corner was fumbled by Swansea loanee Cornell and headed home by Darren Moss for his second Welsh Cup goal in as many matches to the delight of the travelling blue horde.

Liam McCreesh robbed Michael Johnston on half way but the determined centre-back recovered and thwarted the danger with a little help from Chris Roberts.

On 68 minutes, Chris Jones replaced Craig Garside for the visitors.

It got worse for Port Talbot on 74 minutes as Gary Bansor felled substitute Jones as he ran into the box and referee Huw Jones signalled a penalty kick.

Up stepped Dave Morley but his kick flew over – only for Mr Jones to rule that the home defender Grist had encroached and that the kick be retaken.

This time Morley made no mistake. Bansor and goalkeeper Cornell were yellow carded for their part in the dramatics.

Ward sent a deep free kick into the box but Bull saw his header hit the post with Cornell rooted to the spot.

The outcome was still in doubt but not after Bull robbed the dawdling Nicky Holland, cut in from the left and beat Cornell with a low drive to put City three-nil up with 12 minutes to go.

Bangor: Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts, Dave Morley (Sion Edwards 79), Michael Johnston, Darren Moss. Nicky Ward, Craig Garside (Chris Jones 68), Les Davies, Eddie Jebb, Alan Bull (Michael Jukes 83).

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for a fantastic report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: