Flashback – 15 years ago: Lamb chops down Newtown with superb winner

Bangor City 2 (Paul O’Neill 35, Carl Lamb 74)
Newtown 1 (Dan Barton 25)
Welsh Cup fourth round – February 4, 2006

Carl Lamb grabbed a fantastic winner for Bangor

A Man of The Match performance from Paul O’Neill helped see City through to a quarter-final clash with Carmarthen Town despite falling behind to a dubious first half penalty from visitors Newtown.

Bangor might have had a penalty of their own in the opening minute.

Paul Roberts had blasted a trademark free kick low towards the bottom right hand corner and keeper John Rowley was at full stretch to palm away for a corner.

The flag kick came in short from the left and provoked a clear handball in the box by midfielder Alan Hooley, but the assistant refused to signal with referee Dean John unsighted.

When a cross then came in Newtown defender Adrian Moody seemed interested in an early shirt swap with O’Neill but again nothing was given.

Newtown retaliated with a long range shot from the hard-working Gareth Hughes but home glovesman Andrew Price was able to watch as it curled wide of the post.

On 20 minutes the visitors won their first corner. Martin Giles delivered a telling cross which forced a brave block from O’Neill and ended in young striker Sam Pickup blasting over into the St Paul’s End.

Both teams enjoyed chances as Paul Roberts saw his shot deflected for a corner before Hooley won a second flag kick for the Robins on the left.

The delivery cleared the back post and City fans were suddenly faced with a loud appeal for handball against O’Neill which referee John obliged.

Dan Barton converted the penalty with ease and Bangor were undeservedly a goal down.

On the half hour City won a third corner on the right which Layton Maxwell sent over and once again the official seemed unconcerned that O’Neill was clearly having his shirt pulled by Moody.

Then on 35 minutes City were level. A Maxwell free kick from the left was headed home by O’Neill as he rose above the away defence at the back post.

Half-time: 1-1

Bangor took the initiative after the break with Paul Roberts much involved, winning an early corner and then forcing a great save from Rowley following a Carl Lamb header.

On 55 minutes Lamb blazed over from Roberts’ header on the right following a pass forward from the industrious Chris Priest.

Player-manager Clayton Blackmore, calm and composed as ever at right back, picked out Priest on the edge of the Newtown box but he fired over.

With 20 minutes remaining Bangor thought they had a penalty when Martin Beattie was fouled in the box but again referee John waved play on.

At the other end Barton headed off target from a Martin Giles free kick.

Newtown forced a couple of corners and City looked to the competitive defending of O’Neill, Beattie and Kyle Jones to keep it at 1-1.

Then on 74 minutes Bangor took the lead.

A throw in front of the main stand from Kyle Jones set Beattie loose on the left. His curling left foot cross invited the perfect header from Lamb who sent the ball into the top left hand corner and beyond the despairing Rowley.

The visitors fought back. Dan Desormeaux was denied by another brave block from O’Neill who by now was playing on despite appearing injured.

In the closing minutes Craig Williams hit the target with a 20-yard strike but Price caught it cleanly enough.

As the Powys men pressed for a late equaliser O’Neill and Kyle Jones stood firm and finally – after a couple of minutes of injury time – Mr John blew to confirm City’s place in the last eight.

Bangor City: Andrew Price, Clayton Blackmore, Martin Beattie, Kieran Killackey, Kyle Jones, Paul O’Neill, Mike Walsh, Chris Priest, Paul Roberts, Carl Lamb, Layton Maxwell.
Attendance: 220

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for another great report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: