Football friendlies: Eight for Bulls and four from Honey as Brickfield hit seven

Aasa Thomas (left) made it back-to-back trebles for Bulls. Picture: Wynne Evans

Trearddur Bay Bulls 8 (Asa Thomas 3, Justin Williams 2, Gary Jo Owen pen, Casey Gregg, Gwion Owen)
Holyhead Hotspur Reserves 2 (1 OG, Cameron Jones)

Asa Thomas made it back-to-back hat-tricks for his new club in what was a tougher test against a young and well-organised Hotspur team than the score suggests.

Justin Williams put the Bulls ahead early on, then five minutes later man of the match Thomas scored from a 30-yard free-kick.

Hotspur battled back really well, an own goal and Cameron Jones strike making it two apiece.

Thomas popped up again minutes later to restore the lead with a fine finish.

Just before half time, Williams was put clear and after rounding the keeper scored from an acute angle.

After the break Gary Jo Owen netted from the penalty spot, then Thomas pounced to make it successive trebles.

At this time the Bulls’ experience showed through and further goals from ex-Hotspur player Casey Gregg and Gwion Owen brought up the eight.

Brickfield Rangers 7 (James 2, Honey 4, MacFarlane)
Lex XI 4 (Baxter, Kidd 2, Gibney)

This was a second meeting of the weekend between these Wrexham-area clubs.

Lex XI fielded another strong side against a more youthful Brickfield team than the one which beat the Lawmen 4-0 on Saturday.

In the fourth minute George Baxter shot over the keeper to hand Lex an early lead.

On 29 minutes Brickfield finally got the breakthrough, equalising through Tom James.

A minute later saw Brickie break quickly and Jack Honey ran through the Lex defence and finished powerfully.

And Brickfield made it 3-1 before half time, a collector’s item as Tom James scored a header from a Jamie Samuels corner.

Samuels was on hand again just three minutes into the second half, feeding a great ball In from a corner right onto the head of Honey who did not need to move and just placed it home.

Lex continued to be dangerous, mainly through the powerful Seb Kidd, and he got his first of the game on 57 minutes to make it 4-2.

Soon after though Brickie regained their three-goal advantage, as Honey completed his hat-trick. Tackled as he was about to shoot, he re-intercepted the ball and on the half-turn buried into the bottom corner.

The Lex keeper saved another attempt before Honey scored his fourth, Max Northall and Charlie Samuels involved in the set-up.

Lex continued to push hard, and notched their third on 73 minutes after James Gibney scored a direct free kick, before Honey again buzzed into the box on 76 and won a penalty.

Jamie Samuels wanted to get on the scoresheet, and stepped up confidently before smashing his penalty on the crossbar. Luckily, Callum MacFarlane was able to finish the rebound in the bottom corner.

In the final few minutes, the hard-working Kidd got his second for Lex.

Next weekend Brickfield’s two squads take on Steve O’Shaugnessy’s Airbus UK on Saturday, while TNS U19’s bring a squad to Clywedog Park on the Sunday.

Games continue to be behind closed doors as per WG guidelines and FAW regulations.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: