Flashback – 10 years ago: City make it a lucky 13 straight league victories

Bangor City's Alan Bull battles with HJK Helsinki's Mikko Sumusalo (left) HJK Helsinki's Berat Sadik (right) celebrates his goal with Alexander Ring during the UEFA Champions League Second Qualifying Round match at Farrar Road, Bangor. (Photo by Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images)

Bangor City’s Alan Bull battles with HJK Helsinki’s Mikko Sumusalo. Bull scored a hat-trick in City’s 5-0 demolition of Carmarthen on November 21, 2010. (Photo by Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images)

Bangor City 5 (Bull 29, 31 & 61; Morley pen 73; Edwards 83)
Carmarthen Town 0
Welsh Premier League – November 21, 2010

City equalled a famous feat set by Reading FC as they swept aside Carmarthen on this date 10 years ago at Farrar Road.

The Royals’ record for the number of successive league wins at the start of a season – 13 at the beginning of the 1985–86 Third Division campaign – still stands today as a Football League best.

However, this day saw Bangor match it on their way to a then modern-day British record 15 consecutive victories from the opening fixture of the 2010-11 season.

This was a swashbuckling performance by Neville Powell’s men which reasserted that 13-point lead at the Welsh Premier summit.

In the opening two-thirds of the first half, however, chances fell at both ends with the Old Gold giving as good as they got.

There were 29 minutes on the clock when Les Davies and Jamie Reed combined on the left, the ball came in at the near post and although Chris Jones missed out Alan Bull stabbed home from close range for the opener.

No sooner had the applause died down than it started again two minutes later as Peter Hoy slid in Bull to double his tally with a calm finish.

It so nearly became a four-minute hat-trick moments later when Bull shot goalwards but his effort hit Chris Jones and was thumped clear.

On the stroke of half time the west Walians almost pulled one back as Darren Griffiths rounded Paul Smith only to see his low shot cleared off the line by the never-say-die Michael Johnston, who was roundly applauded.

Half-time: Bangor 2 Carmarthen 0

As the second half got underway Bangor seemed keen to add to their advantage as Davies and Bull went close in the opening minutes.

Ten minutes after the break young Town keeper Shane Earp needed treatment but it was opposite number Smith who was called into action with a smart save from the industrious Griffiths.

City were desperate to add to their advantage and went close again when Davies’ screamer skimmed the crossbar.

Davies and Reed threatened and a third goal seemed inevitable. It arrived moments later as Hoy’s run unsettled Carmarthen, Dave Morley shot and the ball broke to Bull who smashed home his third at the second attempt in the 61st minute.

Bangor won a corner which the visitors half-cleared, young goalkeeper Earp felled Hoy and a penalty was awarded.

Up stepped Morley to cap an outstanding individual performance with a coolly converted kick.

On 83 minutes it was 5-0 as Sion Edwards rifled home from 10 yards after young Earp dropped Morley’s swirling cross.

Bangor: Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts (Sion Edwards 71), Dave Morley, James Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Jamie Reed, Alan Bull, Les Davies, Nicky Ward (Craig Garside 67), Chris Jones (Eddie Jebb 69).

Attendance: 720

Thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for the match report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: