Demanding schedule does not prevent Ynys Môn doing North Wales proud

Lucie Leonard (WA) in action for Ynys Môn against Orkney. Picture: SEAN CORLETT


Day 3: Orkney 65 Ynys Môn 40
(Q1: Orkney 25-12 Ynys Môn; HT: 42-28; Q3: 55-33; FT: 65-40)

Ynys Môn had a tough day ahead of them having played the late game on Wednesday and then the early fixture on Thursday.

The girls did everything they could to recover in the short turnaround knowing it was not going to be an easy game against Orkney.


Gwenan Williams (c)
Kat Hughes
Lucie Leonard (c)
Rhodd Parry
Saran Griffiths
Steff Oliver Smith
Cerys Parry
Alaw Ceris
Elan Gilford
Cerys Davies
Elin Barwick
Jessie Jones

Starting 7

GS – Gwenan
GA – Kat
WA – Lucie
C – Rhodd
WD – Saran
GD – Steff
GK – Cerys P

The girls were in good spirits again on the way to venue and when getting ready in the changing rooms, albeit a little quieter than the day before showing some tiredness was kicking in with it being an early game and day 3 of the tournament.

After another fantastic warm up by Gwenan and Lucie to get the team fired up the girls were ready to go against the Scottish island.

The first quarter Orkney came firing out of the blocks, pressuring every pass, driving hard into spaces and showing a high level of physicality throughout the court. After 5 quick successive goals that woke up Ynys Môn they got back in the game responding with 3 goals.

Orkney continued to put their foot down throughout the game, showing that they were determined to win and use Ynys Môn’s short game turn around to their advantage.

Elin Barwick was brought on after the first quarter and Kat Hughes moving to WA to change up the attacking end for Môn.

Elin was firing throughout the court making fantastic dynamic movements and offering a high shooting percentage with Kat calmly offering an option to the ball carrier and giving some great feeds into the circle. The second quarter ended 17-16.

The third quarter saw some changes from Ynys Môn including Gwenan Williams moving to GK to help disrupt Orkney’s shooting circle. The quarter saw a low number of goals from both teams with the score being 8-5 with 4 minutes left to go. Orkney stepped it up once again with the quarter ending 13-5.

Cerys Parry (GK) and Steff Oliver-Smith defend for Ynys Môn’ against Orkney. Picture: SEAN CORLETT

Ynys Môn were ready to go in the 4th quarter, deciding they were going to continue to fight back and not give up representing North Wales with pride.

With some fantastic shooting from Elin and Kat, lovely passing from Jessie and a number of interceptions from Rhodd the team were back firing. An injection of fresh legs in the last 5 minutes from Alaw Ceris and Elan Gilford saw another uplift in the team. The quarter ended 10-7.

Coaches comments – Simone Gould

“Unfortunately, today didn’t go the way that we wanted it to or intended.

“Tournaments like this are always gruelling; the physical, emotional and mental pressure the girls are under is so high and with a short turnaround between games you do as much as you can to get ready but it is really tough on the girls’ bodies and minds.

“I’m proud of the girls for being able to show their grit and resilience in fighting back particularly in the second and last quarter of the game.

“It was also good for us to try out some different combinations and mix up our playing style.

“We’re now glad of the longer recovery time until the next game on Friday. The girls all got together this evening after being able to reset and have some downtime.

“They watched good luck and positive messages from family, friends and clubs back home which has really spurred them on. We’re thankful of all the support and positivity please keep it up!”

Report on Ynys Môn’s Friday match against Jersey will follow.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.