Flashback – 20 years ago: Porthmadog hit four in convincing win at Halkyn

Gareth Caughter controls the ball for Porthmadog. Caughter scored twice in a 4-0 win at Pant Newydd. Picture: Iwan Gareth

Halkyn United 0
Porthmadog 4 (K Roberts 17, G Caughter 55 & 85, C Owen 68)
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League – February 17, 2001

On this day 20 years ago Porthmadog gained their fourth successive away win and thereby completed the double over league newcomers Halkyn.

This was a game the visitors dominated from the start but once again it looked as though they would find translating possession into goals a problem.

Steven Pugh, showing good form in midfield, crossed after five minutes for Carl Owen to head just over the bar and soon after Kevin Roberts’ firm 25-yard drive was tipped beyond the bar by Alan Tyrrell.

After 17 minutes Martin Jones thundered the ball against the bar from long range and the rebound fell to Kevin Roberts, who saw his gentle shot slip through Tyrrell’s hands and into the Halkyn net.

This rather fortunate goal was all Port had to show for their opening half superiority.

Half-time: 0-1

The second half, however, gave Port the kind of reward their good play deserved.

After 55 minutes, Gareth Caughter broke in from the left, cutting into the box, beating the last defender before driving high into the net from 15 yards.

Halkyn’s lack of control in midfield and a tendency to give the ball away restricted  their chances when going forward, but midway through the half Steve Alcock put in the home team’s best effort when his 25-yard attempt had to be touched over the bar by the ever-alert Kenny Dixon.

In the main, Dixon was well protected by an efficient Port defence in which Mike Foster was again outstanding.

Two-goal star Gareth Caughter (red) in action for Port against Caernarfon. Picture: Iwan Gareth

On 68 minutes came, perhaps, the best goal when Pugh collected a stray pass on the right of midfield and gave a perfectly weighted delivery over the home defence for Carl Owen to run on to and finish with an accurate lob over Tyrrell.

Owen went close again after 80 minutes after combining well with Caughter.

A period where both sides indulged in some over vigorous and flying tackles which went unpunished by the referee, came to a head when Carl Owen was brought down on the edge of the area resulting in Halkyn’s Julian Jones being given his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

From the ensuing David Evans free-kick the ball was blocked only to Campbell Harrison on the left. Harrison carried the ball to the by-line before cutting in and his accurate low cross was touched in by Caughter.

Halkyn: Tyrrell, Powell, K Davies, Scott, Jones, Clayton, Wild, Johnson, Sweet, Taylor, Alcock. Subs: Acott, Bryce, Horne.

Port: Kenny Dixon, Martin Jones, Danny Hughes, Mike Foster, Campbell Harrison, Dafydd Evans, Steven Pugh (Neil Roberts), Lewis Coady, Gareth Caughter, Kevin Roberts, Carl Owen. Subs not used: Stuart Williams, Owain Tudur Jones.

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for another great match report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: