Flashback – 10 years ago: Prestatyn win first leg v Bangor – but how did it end ?

Lee Hunt had fantastic spells at both Prestatyn Town and Bangor City. In this photo, however, he is representing Bala (red kit – winning header) as we don’t have pictures of him playing for Prestatyn or Bangor. Picture: Naomi Jones, Bala Town FC

Prestatyn Town 3 (Hunt 2, Rogers)
Bangor City 2 (Morley, Hoy)
Loosemores League Cup second round, first leg
September 21, 2010

Ten years ago today Prestatyn Town welcomed Bangor City to Bastion Gardens for a second round, first leg League Cup clash.

Both teams were in the Welsh Premier League at the time, although it was just a third top-flight season for the Seasiders, while the Citizens were founder members and two-time champions.

City had started the campaign on fire, winning their first six league matches and would eventually set a modern-day British record by extending that streak to 15 straight victories from the beginning of a season.

September 21 brought Neville Powell’s side’s first cup tie of the 2010-11 season and it was to end in defeat, although the 3-2 result still gave them every chance of progressing in the second leg.

Blues boss Powell shuffled his pack by resting the likes of Michael Johnston and James Brewerton and bringing in Clive Williams and Chris Roberts at the back, whilst Les Davies and Eddie Jebb started in place of Alan Bull and Jamie Reed.

None of this seemed to put City off their stride though, as they took the lead on 13 minutes when Dave Morley headed home a blistering corner from Sion Edwards.

The visitors could have gone two up when Chris Jones’ header appeared goalward-bound but Jon Hill-Dunt managed to keep the effort out.

Paul Smith was brought into the action to push Lee Hunt’s drive for a corner. Ex-City defender Paul O’Neill then hit the crossbar after Smith did well to deny Dave Hayes.

Home pressure eventually produced an equaliser five minutes before the interval.

Hunt forced his way into the box, tempted a rash challenge from Chris Roberts and referee Mark Petch awarded a penalty.

Hunt stepped up to blast the spot kick emphatically past old team mate Smith.

Half-time: 1-1

The early chances of the second period belonged to Bangor.

First Hill-Dunt did well to keep out Edwards’ dipping strike, then a Chris Jones corner invited a header from leading goalscorer Morley but Gareth Wilson scrambled clear.

With 20 minutes to go some chaos in the Prestatyn defence allowed Peter Hoy to prod home from close range.

Town responded quickly when Steve Rogers headed in a Jack Lewis’ cross to level the scores.

City were now in the middle of a series of substitutions which began with John Owen replacing Chris Jones.

Six minutes later Tom Dix made his bow for Nicky Ward and finally with 10 left on the clock assistant-manager Marc Limbert came on for Craig Garside.

A winning goal on the night was on the cards as both sides pressed and on 80 minutes Hunt nodded home from left winger Dan Evans to cheer the home support.

Prestatyn Town: Jon Hill-Dunt, Kai Edwards, Jack Lewis, Dave Hayes, Paul O’Neill, Gareth Wilson, Michael Parker, Neil Gibson (Chris Davies 90), Lee Hunt, Steve Rogers, Dan Evans.

Bangor City: Paul Smith, Clive Williams, Chris Roberts, Peter Hoy, Dave Morley, Craig Garside (Marc Limbert 80), Chris Jones (John Owen 70), Nicky Ward (Tom Dix 76), Les Davies, Eddie Jebb, Sion Edwards.


The return leg at Farrar Road on October 5 saw Bangor City beat Prestatyn Town 2-1. That meant the tie ended 4-4 on aggregate but City went through to the semi-finals on away goals.

John Owen and Sion Edwards struck for the Citizens, Lee Hunt for the visitors.

In the last four, Bangor lost 12-1 on aggregate to The New Saints, who triumphed 9-0 at Park Hall (City still had a 100% record in the league and had beaten TNS 4-3 at home in the WPL) and 3-1 at Farrar Road.

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice for his help in compiling this report.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: