Morawelon FC – Memories of a debut season treble

Morawelon celebrate winning the 2011/12 NWCFA Junior Cup

Morawelon 4 (D Murphy 2, Woolgar, Dewett)
Talysarn Celts 1 (Griffiths)
NWCFA Junior Cup Final 2011/12

To win the North Wales Coast FA Junior Cup is quite an achievement, but to do so in your very first season of existence is downright magnificent.

That is what Holyhead club Morawelon managed to pull off back in 2011-12.

In their first season in Saturday football, the Anglesey League side lifted the biggest knockout trophy available to them.

Derek Thomas and Ian Hughes’ team thrashed Caernarfon and District League outfit Talysarn Celts 4-1 in the final at Bangor City’s Nantporth.

After the game joint-manager Thomas said: “The Junior Cup is the biggest trophy we can compete for at our level, so to win that in our first season is incredible.”

Goals from Dale Murphy (2), Jon Woolgar and outstanding skipper Chris “Skank” Dewett secured the cup, while the man of the match award went to goalkeeper Nick Murphy, who rounded off a tremendous performance by saving an injury time penalty.

Morawelon started strongly and it was no surprise when in the 10th minute Dewett picked out Woolgar whose unstoppable 20-yard effort flew into the net.

Talysarn came into the game and Nick Murphy was forced to make a great double save from Damien Jones before Gerwyn Williams was found in loads of space by Adrian Griffiths but somehow missed.

Morawelon went two-up on 24 minutes when Dewett’s perfectly delivered corner, assisted by the wind, curled directly into the net.

To their credit Celts hit back after 33 minutes when Griffiths burst into the box from the left and fired home from an angle.

Soon after came a crucial turning point when Nick Murphy pulled off a fine stop.

Seconds later the ball was up the other end and Dale Murphy’s shot proved too good for keeper Davies, making it 3-1 when it could easily have been 2-2.

Right on the stroke of half-time Rocky Thomas’ daisy-cutter free-kick from 45 yards came back off the upright.

Half-time: Morawelon 3 Talysarn Celts 1

Morawelon began the second half strongly and within four minutes of the restart Gary Jo Owen hit the post and Dale Murphy looked certain to put the loose ball away only to be denied by a tremendous Gavin Usher tackle.

Nick Murphy then tipped over a long range free-kick from Paul Thomas, brother of Bangor City midfielder Neil, and did well to smother Aaron Humphreys’ effort.

Morawelon put one hand firmly on the trophy in the 56th minute when Davies could only push Thomas’ free-kick straight into the air and Welsh Colleges international Dale Murphy headed in his second and the Holyhead side’s fourth.

After that it was mainly all Talysarn pressure, but the Morawelon defence was rock-solid.

And in the 89th minute the islanders almost added a fifth when Owen’s superb effort came back off the bar.

Deep into injury time Celts were awarded a penalty for an alleged pull-back in the box but Griffiths’ fierce kick was fabulously saved by Murphy.

Morawelon went on to win the Anglesey League title and Bet Fred Trophy at the first attempt to make it a stunning treble for the Holyhead lads.

Morawelon: Nick Murphy, Ryan Roberts, Chris Dewett (c), Marc Williams, Colm Foley, Sean Murphy, Gary Jo Owen, Ricky Thomas, Dale Murphy, Jordan Murphy (Mark Loughran 79), Jon Woolgar. Other subs: Simon Thomas, Mike Murphy, Aled Roberts, Dean Royle.

Dave Jones – My memories of that day

Nick Murphy was man of the match for Morawelon

I arrived at Nantporth to watch a final between two teams from the bottom rung of the Welsh football ladder.

What I saw was nothing resembling that at all. This was a fantastic advert for Anglesey League and Caernarfon League soccer.

Both sides produced tremendous, skilful football, with Morawelon in particular displaying a footballing style worthy of a higher level.

Goalkeeper Nick Murphy deservedly won man of the match as without him the final score could have been a lot closer.

There were so many class acts out there though: Gary Jo Owen’s technical ability was a stand-out as was the tremendous all-round play of Chris Dewett and the quality up front of Dale Murphy.

After the match the atmosphere among the Morawelon lads was fantastic – they truly knew what they had done – the Junior Cup in their first season, and it must have been a great night of celebration back in Holyhead.

Interviewing winning managers Derek Thomas and Ian Hughes outside the dressing rooms was something to fondly remember too.

These lads had put a real smile on the face of Holyhead.

And a mention for Talysarn too. They played a full part in a great final and on another day who knows…..

But as a Holyhead-born lad, to see these young players produce a display like this ranks among the highlights of my reporting career.

Morawelon FC

Formed as a Saturday team in 2011, Morawelon lasted just three seasons before disbanding in 2014.

Their first season, 2011-12, was their greatest as they landed a treble of Anglesey League title, NWCFA Junior Cup and Bet Fred Trophy.

In 2012-13 they were Anglesey League runners-up but retained the Bet Fred Trophy.

Then in 2013-14, the Holyhead side finished second in the Anglesey League again.

Morawelon scored a remarkable 315 goals in 66 league games across their three seasons in Saturday football.

The club fielded some outstanding players, including goal machines Asa Thomas and Gary Jo Owen, as well as the five Murphy brothers.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: