Welsh Cup: Nomads, Prestatyn, Druids and Flint join Caernarfon in quarter-finals

Macauley Taylor (yellow and blue) in action for Prestatyn at Swansea University. Picture: John Pickles

JD Welsh Cup round four results

Ammanford 0 Caernarfon Town 4
Cefn Druids 2 Pontardawe Town 0
Connah’s Quay Nomads 8 Afan Lido 0
Flint Town United 3 Colwyn Bay 2
Newtown 4 Rhyl 1
Penybont 1 Cardiff Metropolitan 2
Swansea University 0 Prestatyn Town 1
The New Saints 4 Aberystwyth Town 0.

Six Cymru Premier and two Cymru North clubs remain in the JD Welsh Cup following the weekend fourth round ties.

Caernarfon Town, Cardiff Met, Cefn Druids, Connah’s Quay Nomads, Newtown and The New Saints fly the flag for the top flight in the last eight, while tier two will be represented by Flint Town United and Prestatyn Town in Monday’s quarter-final draw.

A report on Caernarfon Town’s 4-0 success at Ammanford appeared on Grassroots North Wales on Friday night.

Remaining reports involving northern clubs

Flint Town United 3 Colwyn Bay 2

Magic Mark Cadwallader. Picture: Flint Town United FC website

On his 100th appearance for the club Mark Cadwallader’s 50th goal for Flint turned out to be the winner in a wonderful Welsh Cup triumph over fellow Cymru North high-flyers Colwyn Bay, reports Nigel Sheen.

A crowd of just under 800 witnessed a thrilling match at the Essity Stadium, which saw the Silkmen twice come from behind to book a quarter-final place.

The game was barely a minute old when Bay took the lead. A failure to cut out a cross proved costly for the Flint defence, as Julian Williams took full advantage to score.

The hosts levelled after they forced a corner on nine minutes. Jordan Barrow’s delivery was powerfully met by skipper Richie Foulkes, who nodded into the top corner of the net.

Flint still looked uneasy, and the Seagulls profited from another defensive error to go back in front on 16 minutes.

Tony Davies, under pressure from Mitch Bryant, played the ball back to keeper Aaron Jones, whose attempted clearance went askew, as he slipped on the greasy turf.

The result was the ball only found Bryant, who raced past Jones towards the byline, and finished from a tight angle.

Flint attempted to rally, but it took them until a minute before half time to equalise through a wonder strike from Alex Titchiner.

After the interval, Niall McGuinness’ side showed far more composure. Just after the hour mark, the hosts grabbed the decisive goal.

Some slick one-touch passing, resulted in Callum Bratley teasing defenders, before rolling the ball into Cadwallader, whose excellent movement created the space for him to have a one-on-one opportunity with keeper Andy Coughlin from eight yards out. Cadwallader needed no second invitation, as he smashed the ball home to make it 3-2 for the Silkmen.

Soon after Flint’s defence hesitated, expecting an offside decision that didn’t come. Instead, Bryant collected the ball, and looked odds on to score, until Jones, atoning for his earlier slip, raced out to meet him and got in a vital block to deny the goal.

Jones had to be alert again on 71 minutes, as he pulled off a good save at his near post to thwart Bryant.

Swansea University 0 Prestatyn Town 1

Prestatyn’s Oli Buckley (yellow and blue) rises for the ball while team-mate Ross Weaver looks on. Picture: John Pickles

Jordan Davies’ long range cracker six minutes into the second half was enough to settle this close-fought tie between teams leading the Cymru South and Cymru North respectively at the start of the day.

Neil Gibson’s visitors started well at Singleton Park, one Davies effort skimming the post before Dan Roberts was not far off target.

Town keeper Jon Rushton made a fine stop from a free kick before the students’ glovesman twice palmed Davies strikes away.

Not much between the sides at the break and all to play for in the second half.

And it was the North Wales outfit who produced the decisive moment, Jordan Davies firing home from all of 35 yards.

Prestatyn continued to create chances, but that second goal eluded them and they were glad to reach the final whistle as the winning side.

Cefn Druids 2 Pontardawe Town 0

Jamie Reed was a two-goal hero for a second weekend in succession as his double put the Cymru Premier favourites through to the last eight.

The former Wrexham and York City front man had delivered a pair of goals on his Druids debut in a thrilling 2-1 win at Bala Town seven days earlier, and it was the 32-year-old who again provided the necessary magic in Saturday’s tricky cup tie.

Despite dominating possession, the Ancients were finding the going tough against their Welsh League Division One visitors, the only remaining third-tier club left in the competition, and come the interval it remained 0-0.

Four minutes into the second half Cefn finally ended the stalemate when Reed converted a penalty.

It was not until the 87th minute that Druids could finally relax after Reed made it two.

Newtown 4 Rhyl 1

Tommy Creamer (white) scores Rhyl’s equaliser at Newtown. Picture: Gareth Hughes

Rhyl exited the JD Welsh Cup at Latham Park – but the result did not reflect the overall nature of the game, reports James Curran.

The Lilywhites gave a debut to recent signing Ilan ap Gareth, whilst Sam Molyneux made his first start since the end of December following injury.

Other additions to the starting XI were returning loanee Arek Piskorski and Danny Sullivan from suspension.

The Cymru North visitors looked nervous early on and an error at the back presented Nick Rushton with a simple chance to give Cymru Premier favourites Newtown the lead inside two minutes.

Eventually Rhyl settled and they began to create space with newcomer Ilan ap Gareth shining in midfield.

In the 15th minute, Tom Creamer advanced through the middle before playing a neat pass to Molyneux. He was able to head towards goal on the Rhyl right and feed a measured ball back to Creamer, who then drew defender and keeper before calmly slotting into the net.

The goal gave Rhyl confidence, Molyneux and Piskorski going close, but it stayed 1-1 after half time.

Molyneux was denied by keeper Dave Jones and Creamer’s powerful shot went over the bar as the travellers began the second half well.

The Lilies had strong claims for a penalty as Creamer was manhandled in the box but referee Kevin Parry ignored the protests.

Newtown hit back and the tie was settled in 13 minutes. Ian Sheridan headed home before a fine solo run by Craig Williams saw him slot past Crowther to make it 3-1.

George Harry put the tie beyond doubt with the Robins’ fourth in the 78th minute.

Connah’s Quay Nomads 8 Afan Lido 0

Mike Wilde and Michael Bakare both grabbed hat-tricks as Nomads caned Cymru South mid-tablers Lido at Deeside Stadium.

George Horan and Jamie Insall were also on target once apiece for Andy Morrison’s men, who led 3-0 at the turnaround.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: