NWCFA Junior Challenge Cup: Llanystumdwy win close-fought quarter-final


Llanystumdwy 3 (I Jones 12, O Pritchard 44 & 46)
Llanfairpwll 2 (C Owen 80, D Williams 82)

Despite a late fightback from their Anglesey visitors Llanystumdwy held on to join Bow and Llandudno Amateurs in the NWCFA Junior Challenge Cup semi-finals.

The outstanding quarter-final between Bontnewydd and CPD Y Glannau is due to be played this Saturday (November 25).

Winners of the Junior Cup for the one and only time in 2005, Llanystumdwy maintained their dream of repeating that success with a narrow victory over fellow North Wales Coast West Division One side Llanfairpwll on Saturday,

Overnight rain meant the Parc Dwyfor pitch was not in the best condition before kick off, especially after the warm up when it was clearly cutting up.

Llanfairpwll started the better, and had a few opportunities, but were unable to create anything bonafide.

The first big chance fell Llanystumdwy’s way on 12 minutes – and they took the lead from it.

An attempted clearance by keeper Calum Andrews led to Iolo Jones being one-on-one. Jones’ original effort hit the post, but he was able to tap in the rebound.

The half continued in the same vein, Llanfairpwll having more of the ball and Llanystumdwy being rather sloppy in possession.

However, a minute before the break, the hosts notched a crucial second goal.

In-form ‘Stumdwy striker Owen Pritchard won the ball on the edge of the area before setting himself and finishing well into the bottom right corner,

Half time: Llanystumdwy 2-0 Llanfairpwll

The very first minute of the second half led to the third home goal. Kyle Williams’ pass was well controlled by Pritchard, who slotted coolly past the keeper for his second of the game.

This goal seemed to take the wind out of the sails of Llanfairpwll, and the game was just petering out until the 80th minute when a shot that didn’t look like it would cause much trouble from Cian Owen found its way under the body of ‘Stumdwy’s keeper Elgan Roberts to hand the islanders a lifeline.

Their hopes of a comeback were given a huge boost just a minute later, when Dylan Williams’ cross found its way into the back of the net.

A nervy 10 minutes followed, which included a big slice of added time, but with no real chances either side, the game finished 3-2.

Llanystumdwy manager Sion Parry said: “The first half was strange for us, it was almost a complete opposite of the last few weeks. We’ve played well and created a lot of chances but haven’t scored, yet today we were way off our best on the ball, but we had 2 chances and scored 2 goals.

“I said at half time the positives were we’re 2-0 up and we knew we could be much better, but we also had to be wary that Llanfairpwll had the better of the first half, and to expect them to come out even stronger in the second.

“We knew the next goal was huge in this game, so to get that third within 30 seconds of the second half was pleasing, and we then managed the game very well…until a crazy few minutes late in the game meant it was a more hectic end to the game than I would’ve liked.

“But in the end, just delighted to get the win against a good side, and I want to wish them all the best in their huge FAW Amateur Trophy game on Saturday away to Ruabon, as the last side in our league still in the competition. I hope the same is true come Saturday night!”


Bow 6 CPD Gaerwen 1
Llanystumdwy 3 Llanfairpwll 2
Llandudno Amateurs 5 Blaenau Ffestiniog Amateurs 0
Bontnewydd v CPD Y Glannau (playing Nov 25)

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.