Welsh Cup first qualifying round – 35 northern ties on Saturday, 179 goals

Y Glannau ensured FC United of Wrexham’s Welsh Cup debut was not a fairytale occasion. Picture: CPD Y GLANNAU – with thanks


Y Glannau 6 (H Bellis 25, 85 & 89 pen; M Bellis 28, D Jones 50, Beardmore 90+3)
FC United of Wrexham 0

While much of the pre-match focus was on new club FCUW being the first Wrexham team to enter the Welsh Cup in 11 years, Y Glannau were also making their debut in the famous competition – and they certainly made the most of the occasion.

It took the St Asaph-based hosts from North Wales Coast East League Division One a little time to settle, but as soon as they broke the deadlock on 25 minutes they went on to produce some great football.

Michael Bellis played in his twin brother Harrison Bellis, who took the ball around keeper Aled Griffith and slotted into an empty net.

Three minutes later Josh MacGillivray lofted the ball in and Michael Bellis was there to nod home.

Moments before half time MacGillivray hit a free kick from 30 yards out and Griffith tipped it onto the bar and out for a corner.

In the second half Y Glannau took complete control.

Five minutes in, a MacGillivray corner went towards the back post where Joey Fontana fed the ball back across goal for Deio Jones to head home.

Jones soon had another chance but this time his header crashed against the bar.

Ged Burke could have made it four when one-on-one with the keeper but his shot hit the post, and the follow up effort was cleared off the line.

Aaron Dodwell and Harrison Bellis missed further clear opportunities.

Harrison Bellis made up for it on 85 minutes when he smashed home after substitute Corey Williams fed him a lovely through ball.

Four soon became five when Dodwell went on a run down the left, cut into the box and got brought down. The referee gave a penalty and Harrison Bellis stepped up to complete his hat-trick.

Aled Beardmore rounded things off with a lovely strike from 25 yards.

Credit to FC United of Wrexham, they put everything into the game with Jamie Evans their man of the match.


Y Glannau

Bradley Wright, Osian Williams, Michael Bellis, Dafydd Jones, Kyle Hedge (Thomas Jones 79), Owen Boardman (Tawse Cox 76), Tomos Williams (Ged Burke 45), Aaron Dodwell, Harrison Bellis, Joey Fontana (Aled Beardmore 84), Josh MacGillivray (Corey Williams 79).

FC United of Wrexham

Aled Griffith, Kirk Ratcliffe, Osian Jones, Daniel Buck, Aaron Scott, Shane Burke, Jason Ratcliffe, Jamie Evans, David Hughes, Rhys Robinson, Chris Roberts.
Subs: Adam Hughes, Jim Gray, Jamie Downward, Brett Burgess, William Wilcox.

Bodedern Athletic 17 Gaerwen 0

Bodedern scored 200 goals in their 2021-22 title-winning season and they began the current campaign on fire by netting 17 without reply against Gaerwen in the Welsh Cup.

Last season’s 68-goal top marksman Marc Evans scored no less than SEVEN times on his 2022-23 debut, while there was a welcome hat-trick for new signing, former Caernarfon Town front man Mohammed El-Arab.

Another new recruit, former Welsh Premier star Chris Jones, bagged a double, while there were also single goals for Shaun Jenkins, Jordan Taylor, Ry Lees, Daniel Jones and Jenson Rowlands.

Amlwch Town 1 Aberffraw 2

An Aiden Gisbourne own goal and Richard Roberts strike put Aberffraw into the next round at the expense of Amlwch, who replied through Dan Howes.

Barmouth & Dyffryn 3 Blaenau Amateurs 1

Billy Jones, Llion Owen and Luke John grabbed the goals which put Bermo through, Jack Diamond with Blaenau’s consolation.

Bontnewydd 4 Mountain Rangers 0

Meilir Rowlands (2), Alex Kalafusz and Sion Jones split the goals that secured safe passage for Bont.

Bow FC 2 Betws y Coed 2 (Bow won 3-2 on pens)

New team Bow’s first Welsh Cup experience was a winning one as they pipped Betws on penalties at Bastion Gardens, Prestatyn.

Goalkeeper Richard Hillier-Evans was Bow’s hero as he stopped three kicks in the shoot out.

In the game itself, Loui O’Carroll and Richard Hill were the home scorers, Luke Roberts and Tyler Griffiths replied for Betws.

Brickfield Rangers 4 Mynydd Isa 0

Isaac Dawson, Cameron Thomas, Aiden Fox and Andrew Vale were on target for victorious Brickfield.

Caerwys 0 Hawarden Rangers 4

Ellis Jones (2), Luke Crabtree and a late Jimmy Ratcliffe penalty saw Hawarden into qualifying round two.

Castell Alun Colts 1 Corwen 2

Delwyn Jones and Ryan Billington put Corwen two-up early in the second half before an own goal gave losers Castell Alun late consolation.

Home players Jack Jones and Stuart Williams received their marching orders, while Kieran Smith was dismissed for Corwen.

CPD Cefni 3 Menai Bridge Tigers 2

Cefni celebrate a goal. Picture: CPD CEFNI – DIOLCH

Cefni twice came from behind to win this thriller at Isgraig.

Luke Miles (2) and winning goal-scorer Gruffudd Huws clinched it for the hosts, James Burgess and Callum Thomas with the Tigers replies.

Cerrigydrudion 1 Llansannan 4

Dafydd Ifan Jones was a hat-trick hero for victorious Llansannan, for whom Tomos Hughes was also on the mark, Cai Aykroyd having scored first for Cerrig, who had Ynyr Roberts sent off for two yellows.

Coedpoeth United 0 Ruabon Rovers 2

New signing Jimmy Jones struck twice for Ruabon in two first-half minutes, his opener coming via a penalty.

Connah’s Quay Town 1 Flint Mountain 2

Andy Brown and recent recruit Steve Lewis (penalty) secured new-look Flint Mountain a hard-fought win at the TMC Hallcrest Ground, Ryan Hewitt replying from the spot.

Glantraeth 1 Bethesda Athletic 0

JONATHAN ERVINE captures a nice view from Glantraeth v Bethesda

Dion Evans made it a great start to the season for Glantraeth by scoring the 70th minute winner for the Anglesey reds against Bethesda.

CPD Gronant 3 Greenfield 3

(Greenfield won 3-1 on pens)

After trailing 3-0 at half time, Gronant fought back to level with a Matthew Lewis hat-trick.

No further score so it went to penalties, and last season’s North East Wales Premier Division champions Greenfield prevailed.

Connor Hughes (2) and Danny Calvert had put the visitors three goals ahead at half time.

Andy Billington saved two penalties for Scott Beck and Paul Evans’ side in the shoot out.

Llandudno Albion 3 St Asaph City 2

Albion skipper Joel Lloyd battles for aerial possession against St Asaph. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

Dave Maddock banged in the winning goal on 80 minutes to guide Albion through against familiar cup foes St Asaph.

Dean Seager’s first-half double handed the hosts a handy interval lead, but Kieran Garnett-Hughes and Ryan Potts levelled for Saints before Maddock settled it.

Llandudno Junction 2 Meliden 0

Junction (dark blue) go for goal against Meliden. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

First-half strikes from Mathew Jones (penalty) and Jack Williams were enough to send the Railwaymen into the next round at Meliden’s expense.

Llandyrnog United 0 Llandudno Amateurs 2

Goals from Kyle Johnson and Harry Montgomery secured the Amateurs victory in a tie they could have won more emphatically.

Chris Smyth missed a penalty for the visitors, who had Ben Hayward red-carded in the 90th minute.

Dyrny’s Jacob Jones was sent off for a second yellow after 64.

Llanfairfechan Town 4 Llanfairpwll 2

Daniel Hughes, Elliot Croston, Jamie Haggas and Ellis Jones bagged a goal apiece for winners Llanfairfechan, Marquis Holland hitting back with a pair for Llanfairpwll.

Llannefydd 11 Llysfaen 0

Rhys Llwyd led the way with a hat-trick as Llannefydd hit double figures.
Matty Jones 2, Andy Booker 2, Tudur Jones 2, Elgan Roberts and Ciran Jones made up the rest.

Llanuwchllyn 5 NFA FC 1

Tier 3 comfortably saw off tier 5 as Joe Williams (2), Elis Watkin Jones, Mike Pritchard and an own goal delivered a nap hand for Llanuwchllyn.

Ste Falvey notched NFA’s reply.

Mochdre Sports 2 Bro Cernyw 2
(Mochdre won 4-2 on pens)

The home side needed penalties to see off a stern challenge from visitors Cernyw.

Carwyn McFadden put the away side one-up and it stayed that way until early in the second half, when Charlie Lloyd equalised with a fine header.

Chris Lloyd made it 2-1 Sports on 70, but eight minutes into added time Aron Davies levelled to force a shoot-out, which Mochdre edged.

Mynydd Llandegai 3 Gwalchmai 5

Cup joy for Gwalchmai with a Connor Owen hat-trick, plus goals from Tom Kelly and Gwion Thomas guiding them to victory at Penrhiw.

Osian Jones (2) and Kane Roberts (pen) kept Llandegai in the hunt.

Nefyn United 4 Pwllheli 1

Ifan Jones was a hat-trick star as Nefyn came out firmly on top in this Llyn derby.

Tomi Evans added a single for the Penwaig, Rhys Williams with a late response for outgunned Pwllheli.

Penmaenmawr Phoenix 2 Llanrug United 4

Osian Williams and Kevin Lloyd both struck doubles to clinch a win on the road for Llanrug.

Kyle Robb and Alfie Caldecott responded for the home side.

Penrhyndeudraeth 1 Caergybi 1
(Penrhyn win 4-2 on pens)

Underdogs Caergybi were unfortunate to go out on penalties at Maes-y-Parc.

The tier 5 visitors pushed their T4 hosts all the way. Huw Quaeck handed Penrhyn a 23rd minute lead, but James Ryan levelled five minutes later.

Sion Thomas received a red card for Caergybi in the 89th minute.

Pentraeth 1 Talysarn Celts 4

Aled Llyr Jones, Tomos Usher, Jac Pearce Jones and Sion Prysor scored a goal apiece for winners Talysarn, Kian Abbott with Pentraeth’s solitary reply.

Penycae 3 Saltney Town 2

Penycae (light blue) take on Saltney. Picture: BRIAN PRYDDEN

Ben Buley (2) and a penalty from new signing Nicky Williams sealed a narrow victory for the home side.

Steve Chiocchi and Tommy Booth scored for Saltney to keep them in this all-tier 3 tussle.

Booth was shown a red card eight minutes from time.

Prestatyn Sports 6 Rhyl All Stars 1

Mike Jones struck three times for a dominant Sports outfit at The Meadows.

Ian Griffiths converted two penalties and Adam Wright also found the net for the hosts, while Joseph Smith replied for the All Stars.

Club captain Smith later needed hospital treatment for a nasty ankle injury which manager Robert Cunnah hopes will not turn out too serious.

Prestatyn Sports (red) and All Stars fight for the ball. Picture: DAMON MEAD

Cunnah added: “Today we weren’t good enough from the off, we made life very easy for them, and allowed them to play around us.

“We gave them too much space to play into, and they spread us across the pitch well. We knew today was going to be tough, but ultimately we weren’t good enough and should have been much better.”

Rhostyllen 3 New Brighton Villa 3
(NBV won 4-3 on pens)

Tier 4 Villa were overjoyed at Saturday’s giant-killing as they eliminated T3 Rhostyllen on penalties.

Scott Davies (2) and Matthew Robinson struck for the visitors in normal time, Lee McBurney, Will Roberts and an own goal making up the Ardal North West side’s responses.

Rhydymwyn 0 Rhos Aelwyd 6

Aelwyd’s James Rumsey was another of Saturday’s Welsh Cup hat-trick heroes, carrying on his fine form from last season.

Daniel Roberts got his tally going, Declan Molyneux marked his first appearance for the club with a goal and a header from Daf Robertson completed the rout.

Rhyl Dragons 2 Caer Clwyd 3

Craig Lavery grabbed all three goals to deliver Caer Clwyd victory at Belle Vue.

An all-tier 5 tussle was settled by Lavery’s 93rd minute decider.

Harri Griffiths and an own goal made up the Dragons replies.

Sychdyn 0 FC Queen’s Park 7

There were no dramas for the Park as Liam Davies (2), Leroy Ngema, Dylan Jones, Adam Roberts, Matthew Bithell and Callum Williams shared the goals which put them in the hat for qualifying round two.

Trearddur Bay 3 Nantlle Vale 1

Asa Thomas marked his competitive return to Trearddur Bay with a double as his team progressed with a fine win at the expense of tier 3 Nantlle Vale.

Marcus Bell scored a single for the Bay, but was also sent off for two yellows, while Alwyn Roberts provided Nantlle’s late consolation.

Y Fali 1 Llannerchymedd 5

Tomos Jones (third left) smiles broadly after a Llannerchymedd goal at Y Fali. Picture: JOHN ELFRYN OWEN

A brilliant day for Llannerchymedd saw Mark Jones score twice and new goalkeeper Shane Owen save a penalty.

In the first half, Dion Owen, Tomos Jones, Mark Jones and Lewis Connor made it 4-0 to the Medd.

After the break, Mark Jones grabbed his second, while Jac Jones replied for Y Fali, who had a late Marc Wilson spot-kick kept out by keeper Owen.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: