Cymru North – Llangefni denied great win by last gasp equaliser, Ruthin are ruthless, Bay revenge

Stunning action from Lee “The Lens” Douglas at Holywell Town’s home clash with Colwyn Bay (sky blue and white)


Up to and including April 2:

Guilsfield 1 Llangefni Town 1

Llangefni were left heartbroken after Guilsfield forced a 95th minute equaliser at Clos Mytton.

Josh Stanley-Williams had edged the next-to-bottom visitors in front on 83 minutes when he finished off a great move featuring good work from Jack Smith.

It looked like Cefni would hold on for the points until third-place Guilsfield levelled through Sam Litchfield five minutes into stoppage time.

Before the late drama, Stanley-Williams and Gari Owen had forced fine stops from home keeper Michael Jones, while at the other end Steve Sinclair made a marvellous save to deny the hosts.

Cefni are now unbeaten in four on their travels, all games ending in draws at Colwyn Bay, Prestatyn Town, Buckley Town and now Guilsfield.

Holywell Town 0 Colwyn Bay 1

Holywell’s run of five straight home league wins came to an end at the hands of a Colwyn Bay side the Wellmen had beaten comfortably 3-0 away a month earlier.

This crucial clash in the battle for third place saw the Bay take a 21st minute lead.

From a flag kick, Ryan Edwards headed goalwards, Keighan Jones saved, but the ball rebounded out to Kristian Platt, who nodded into the top corner.

Jones denied the Seagulls a second when he thwarted James Kirby in a one-on-one situation.

Holywell pressure towards the end of the first half came to nothing.

The second half was a tight affair.

A great run by Dylan Allshorn into the box saw his fierce drive gathered well by Bay stopper Andy Coughlin.

Town were reduced to 10 men on 73 minutes as Myles Hart saw red for a mistimed tackle.

Holywell pushed for a late equaliser, Jake Cooke’s low shot palmed away by Coughlin at full stretch.

Llanidloes Town 4 Prestatyn Town 0

Prestatyn slumped into the bottom three after being leapfrogged by a Llanidloes side which whipped them 4-0.

Luke Boundford’s penalty was all that separate the sides at half time, but in the second period the Daffs bloomed with goals from Andy Evans, Drew Reynolds and Edward Clarke.

Penrhyncoch 1 Conwy Borough 1

All-square at Cae Baker where a third-minute penalty from Meilir Williams gave Borough a half-time lead, but Geoff Kellaway rescued a point for Penrhyn by providing an equaliser on 79.

Ruthin Town 5 Holyhead Hotspur 0

Third-place chasers Ruthin shone brightly as they saw off a Hotspur team which had been in fine form.

Matty Hill opened the scoring with a fine strike into the top corner from 22 yards just before half time.

Two fine finishes by Hill and Jamie Cumming from counter-attacks put the hosts in total command after the break.

Striker Llyr Morris netted his first league goal since coming back to Ruthin and Harry Owen completed the scoring from a set piece.

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey made no excuses for his team’s below par display and singled out Ruthin’s Hill for special praise.

“We were just not at the races today and deserved everything we got,” said Garmey. “There really isn’t any need to look at it in any other way than that we were beaten by a better side that out-performed us in all departments.

“This will come as a reality check after the good run we have been on since December and we are determined to finish the season as strong as possible.”


Airbus UK Broughton 1 (Brady McGilloway 90+4) – Airbus champions
Llandudno 0

This match was reported on in depth by Grassroots North Wales on Friday evening.

Buckley Town 2 (Connor Littler 22, Aled Bellis 90+1)
Gresford Athletic 1 (Rhys Lloyd 52)

Alex Bellis’ last-gasp strike secured the points for Bucks at The Globe.

Connor Littler handed the hosts a first-half lead, but Rhys Lloyd levelled seven minutes into the second period.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: