Ardal North West – top three Mold, Porthmadog and Denbigh all win, Felinheli and Saltney edge thrillers

Denbigh Town’s Josh Davies (red – 9) wins a penalty after being brought down in the box. Picture – Denbigh Town photography is produced by STEPHEN WHITFIELD and ROY GUNTHER


Latest table up to and including March 12:

CPD Porthmadog 3 (Rhys Alun 61 & 79, Julian Williams 65)
Llandudno Albion 0

Report: Mr Treflyn Jones

It took Porthmadog more than an hour to break down a stubborn Albion defence, but once the hosts had achieved their aim they went on to win quite comfortably.

Uncharacteristically, Port started somewhat sluggishly and it was not until the ninth minute that they produced their first serious goal attempt when Julian Williams fired a low left-footer wide.

Soon after, Paul Lewis did well to get a strike on target from the edge of the box as keeper Louis Williams gathered safely.

On the 20-minute mark, it was Albion’s turn to threaten.

Following a misplaced pass, Ricky Jones was sent through on goal only for Paul Pritchard to save the day by blocking a strong point-blank shot.

This was a wake-up call for Port as Albion showed their intent to break quickly whenever possible. 

On the stroke of half time, Rhys Alun again sent in a dangerous low cross only to be thwarted by a courageous gather by Louis Williams.

Both teams started the second period with greater urgency, Marcus Banks dragging his attempt wide when well-placed.

Just before the hour mark, an attempted defensive header back to keeper Pritchard fell well short of its target, but the Albion attacker put his gentle shot wide when it seemed easier to score.

A big let-off which the Albion would bitterly regret a minute later when a spirited solo run by Rhys Alun was rounded off with the sweetest of strikes from outside the box into the corner of the net.

On 65 minutes, Port extended their lead when after excellent work by Cai Parry and a pin-point pass by Lewis, Julian Williams calmly side-footed home his 15th goal of the campaign.

It was all Port now, Louis Williams producing an excellent double save from Rhys Alun.

However, five minutes later, Rhys Alun completed a deserved brace with a close range side-footer – his 14th first team goal this term.

Credit to the Albion they nearly got a consolation in the 90th minute when Dave Maddock`s delicate chip over Pritchard was kicked off the line.

Llanrwst United 0 Mold Alexandra 2

A fifth league win on the bounce for Mold kept them three points clear at the top.

The visitors took a 25th minute lead when a great run and cross from Matty Lewis resulted in Danny Warren netting his 35th goal of the season.

Ryan Jones was denied by a Gwydion Owen save before Rhyss Nash’s delivery was finished off by Joe Ormrod to make it 2-0 at half time.

Llanrwst rallied in the second half, Callum Parry heading a good opportunity wide before Dion Lloyd was through on goal, but missed the target.

The hosts had Cai Kearney sent off late on.

Rhydymwyn 0 Denbigh Town 1

Denbigh’s Jake Walker (red) takes on the Rhydymwyn defence at the Mornflake Mighty Oats Stadium. Picture – Denbigh Town photography is produced by STEPHEN WHITFIELD and ROY GUNTHER

Report: Gareth Jones

Town remained in touch with leading pair Mold and Porthmadog thanks to a less than convincing win at Rhydymwyn courtesy of a first-half penalty from Kristian Pierce.

Denbigh were almost caught napping after just three minutes when Rhyd broke the offside trap and with only the keeper to beat, Owen Manley’s lob fell agonisingly wide of the left hand upright.

Town were living on their nerves, and on 17 minutes were lucky not to fall behind when Nathan Mendoza shot inches wide after a free kick rebounded to his feet.

After 27 minutes, however, Denbigh’s Josh Davies turned a defender inside and out, before being hauled down in the box, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Pierce stepped up and calmly sent the keeper the wrong way to break the deadlock.

Before the interval Jacob Walker’s audacious overhead kick almost made it two, only for Ethan Evans to pull off a fine save in the Rhydymwyn goal.

The second half failed to get going with a scrappy affair being fought in the centre of the park with no chances of note.

CPD Y Felinheli 4 Llay Welfare 3

A seven-goal thriller was settled by a 93rd minute penalty from Felinheli’s Caio Rhys Hughes.

Gruff John converted a ninth-minute spot kick for the hosts, but Luke Taylor levelled for the visitors and Jack Mountford’s goal after 21 made it 2-1 to Welfare at half time.

Carwyn Dafydd equalised for the home team midway through the second half and the same man put Felin 3-2 up with 71 on the clock.

Tom Wells grabbed a third for Llay after 79 before the travellers had Jack Edwards red-carded in the 90th minute.

With Gruff John having just been substituted, Felinheli needed to nominate someone else to take the stoppage time penalty and the courageous Hughes stepped up to convert.

Llanuwchllyn 1 Rhostyllen 1

Gwydion Ifan’s goal early in the second half put Llanuwchllyn one-up, but Lee McBurney’s 70th minute reply salvaged a point for Rhostyllen.

Nantlle Vale 3 St Asaph City 0

Jamie Jones struck twice in a fine win for the Vale at Maes Dulyn.

Jones put the hosts one-up in the 14th minute and Telor Williams doubled the lead on the half-hour.

And on the hour Jones’ second made sure of the points for Nantlle.

Saltney Town 3 Brymbo 2

Saltney rallied from two-down at half time to beat the Steelmen at Sandy Lane.

Town’s goalkeeper Josh Cooke missed a 17th minute penalty before Luc Bonfrer edged the visitors ahead on 23 and Lewis George soon doubled the away total.

Midway through the second period, it was still 2-0, but then Tommy Booth gave the Bordermen hope by halving the deficit.

Booth struck again on 82 and four minutes into added time Sam Spridgeon concocted the winner.

Brickfield Rangers P Blaenau Amateurs P

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: