Match reports – JD Cymru North (Dec 17-18)

Great action from Llandudno v Llanrhaeadr. Picture: MATT JOHNSON


Ruthin Town 4 Colwyn Bay 2

An outstanding contest saw Ruthin edge up to fourth in the JD Cymru North table after making it four straight wins.

The game marked the official switching on of the floodlights at the Memorial Playing Fields and the hosts certainly made a bright start.

Sam Rickett put the Vale of Clwyd team ahead in the seventh minute with a free header from a corner and Wil Owen made it 2-0 on 22.

Jamie Cumming added a third for Town in the 37th minute before Lewis Sirrell pulled one back for the Seagulls prior to half time.

James Kirby missed a penalty for the Bay on 69 minutes, smashing his effort against the bar, and this proved crucial as soon after Matty Hill all but sealed the points with Ruthin’s fourth.

Sirrell grabbed a second for the visitors on 88 minutes, but this was Town’s day.

Ryan Goldston produced some vital saves at important times for Phil Hudson and Tommy Holmes’ side.

Llandudno 1 Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 0

Jack Robinson breaks down the right for Llandudno. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

While not at their best, Llandudno managed to claim the three points which gave them daylight in second place.

Aron Hughes-Jones scored the only goal on 23 minutes when he was in the right place at the right time to capitalise on a defensive mistake.

Tudno had other chances to extend their lead but failed to take them and the longer it remained 1-0, the more depleted Llanrhaeadr’s hopes of stealing a result grew.

And sure enough it was only a magnificent late save from Shaun Pearson which denied the Powys visitors an equaliser.

Holyhead Hotspur 1 Guilsfield 1

Dean Garmey’s second half equaliser secured Hotspur a deserved point against still unbeaten Guilsfield.

Both sides were missing key players for various reasons, but the third-place visitors are now undefeated in 16 outings.

Guilsfield, who won 3-0 at Llangefni the previous weekend, took a 43rd minute lead through Iwan Matthews.

Ten minutes into the second half, Liam Morris swung in a corner, Guils keeper Michael Jones made a poor attempt at a punch and Dean Garmey was on hand to score.

Holyhead manager Darren Garmey said: “I thought we were excellent today and fully deserved our point. We were again missing players through isolation and suspensions but the battling qualities we have carried us through the game and we are happy with the draw all things considered.

“Guilsfield were also hit hard by covid absences, and showed exactly why they are unbeaten and are one of the top sides in the league. They also deserve a lot of credit to be fair.”

Gresford Athletic 7 Prestatyn Town 0

Simon Smith (No 7) scores from a free kick for Gresford. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Joe Chaplin hit five goals for Gresford against a Prestatyn side which finished the game with nine men.

Town caretaker managers Paddy Hamid and Andrew Ruscoe took a mix of regular and inexperienced faces to Clappers Lane – and it proved a tough afternoon.

The visitors had Kyle Parle sent off for a second yellow on 22 minutes and Ryan Gordon was shown a straight red after 63. The game was not helped by over-zealous officiating at times.

Simon Smith scored Gresford’s other two goals.

Llanidloes Town 4 Conwy Borough 3

Luke Boundford (2), Dafydd Carruthers and Andrew Evans shared the goals which earned Llanidloes a narrow win over Conwy.

Corrig McGonigle (2, 1 pen) and Conor Davies hit back for the visitors.

Penrhyncoch 2 Llangefni Town 1

This clash at Cae Baker stood 0-0 until the closing stages.

A Gari Owen own goal on 83 minutes put Penrhyncoch ahead, then to make matters worse for Llangefni, Kieran Edwards was shown a second yellow card soon after.

Geoff Kellaway’s penalty put the Roosters two-up and although Erhan Hyusmen pulled one back for Cefni in added time, it was too late to save the day.

Bangor City P Airbus UK Broughton P (Bangor City suspended from football)

Bangor are now bottom of the table after a third successive postponement due to their suspension from football meant they have had nine points deducted.


Buckley Town 3 Holywell Town 3

Holywell celebrate a goal with manager Johnny Haseldin right in the middle. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

In the week of his 40th birthday, Holywell manager Johnny Haseldin was denied a dream present of three points at local rivals Buckley by an injury-time own goal.

However, the Wellmen made it six matches undefeated and stay eighth in the JD Cymru North.

Having played with 10 men for more than 80 minutes following the early sending off of Ilan ap Gareth for a high challenge, it was a superb result overall for Holywell.

Bucks took the lead in first half added time when Connor Littler, who had earlier rattled the post, found the net.

Luke Wiltshire levelled for the visitors on 66 minutes with a fabulous 25-yard strike and Danny Andrews made it 2-1 in the 78th after a Dave Forbes shot came back off the keeper..

Asa Hamilton equalised for Buckley in the 80th minute, but when Danny Sullivan put Holywell in front again after 85 with a far post tap-in from a sublime Andrews assist, it looked like an away win was sealed.

However, a calamitous own goal from a Holywell point of view with 95 minutes on the clock ensured honours finished even.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: