Ardal North West – Llay stun Denbigh to end unbeaten record, first win for Saints, Mold shine again

Llay defended superbly against Denbigh Town (red). Picture: ROY GUNTHER


Llay Welfare 5 Denbigh Town 1

Big shock at The Ring as Denbigh’s unbeaten run in the league came to an abrupt halt at the 11th hurdle with a crushing loss away to mid-table Llay Welfare.

The hosts were well worthy of the points in a feisty game which ended with both teams having a player dismissed.

Denbigh started with the same 11 which had comprehensively beaten Felinheli 6-0 in their last outing two weeks earlier.

Playing into a strong wind in the first half, the visitors fell behind after eight minutes.

From a Town corner, Llay broke away upfield and forced a throw-in deep into Denbigh’s half.

A quick release led to Tom Wells‘ deflected shot getting past wrong-footed keeper Joe Griffith for 1-0.

Denbigh responded well. A Sam Tate corner created a real scramble in Llay’s six-yard box when twice Town players had chances to equalise, but were thwarted by some stern Llay defending.

Welfare were using the wind to their advantage, inswinging corners putting pressure on Denbigh’s defence. This paid off after 32 minutes when from such a corner, Denbigh cleared the ball only for Adam Davies to send the ball back into the danger area and his cross was met by Ryan Merrill’s head to make it 2-0.

Half-time: 2-0

The second half started with Denbigh capitalising on the wind behind them but they were unable to crack the solid Llay defence with Jack Edwards and Merrill giving the away strikers little leeway.

Denbigh skipper Mark Roberts (red) is kept in check. Picture: ROY GUNTHER

Llay, meanwhile, had their opportunities, Jonny Taylor’s 20 yard free kick rattling the post.

On 71 minutes the hosts had their third. Town lost possession in midfield and Llay broke down the right. A cross to the far post was met by Taylor’s head to give keeper Joe Griffith no chance

Soon after Griffith raced from his goal but his challenge was too rash and referee Martin Trigg pointed to the spot and brandished a yellow card to the keeper. Up stepped Wells to fire home Llay’s fourth.

Sion Jones pulled a consolation goal back for Denbigh with a fine strike from outside the area on 86 minutes, but the game was lost by now.

To add to Town’s woes, centre half Stuart Jones was then red carded for a high tackle.

Llay scored their fifth a minute later through substitute Jonathon Collo. A minute later Collo received his second yellow card for foul language.

A surprise result maybe, but anyone who saw Llay perform so well in defeat at Porthmadog a week earlier might not have been so stunned by Saturday’s outcome.

This result proves one thing – there are some very good sides in Ardal North West and on any given day just about anyone can beat anyone.

Llay Welfare
Owen Raynor, Dean Bryan, Aled Roberts, Jack Edwards, Ryan Merrill, Kian Turton, Thomas Wells, Ryan Goodband, Adam Davies, Jack Mountford, Jonathon Taylor: Subs – Lewis Cole, Michael Wright, Matthew Davies, Jonathon Collo, Luke Taylor

Denbigh Town
Joe Griffith, Sion Jones, Mike Sharples, Stuart Jones, Moses Barnett, Keiron Roberts, Lee Davey, Sam Tate, Sam Jones, Mark Roberts, Jake Walker : Subs – Will Ashley, Paul Fleming, Jacob Barratt, Matty Morris, Owain Roberts.

Porthmadog 8 CPD Y Felinheli 0

Matty Jones scored four times as Porthmadog rattled up an 8-0 victory on Friday night.

Julian Williams (2), John Littlemore and Rhys Alun made up the rest for the hosts in a game watched by 269 at Y Traeth.

Rhostyllen 0 Mold Alexandra 2

Magnificent Mold rose to second after making it nine straight wins in all competitions and 12 games undefeated.

Dom Doherty and Lewis Hopwood notched the goals which sealed three points at The Rec.

Drew Wickens was dismissed for the home side on 77 minutes for two yellow cards.

Blaenau Amateurs 0 St Asaph City 2

Well done St Asaph for securing a first league win of the campaign in their 15th match.

This win at Cae Clyd was enough to lift Saints off the bottom – at home side Blaenau’s expense.

Duncan Midgley (pen) and late on Jackson Brewerton notched the goals that mattered for the visitors.

Less impressive news from the day was the issuing of three red cards for the Asaph management team of Daniel Brewerton, Lewis Hensey and James Brewerton.

The Quarrymen didn’t get off scot free either. Joseph Jukes-Morgan was dismissed for two yellows, there was also a red card for Iolo Thomas and first-aider Christopher McPhail. Six reds! Christmas far too early as far as this game was concerned.

Nantlle Vale 1 Saltney Town 0

Ashley Owen’s 69th minute goal was enough to seal three points for Nantlle Vale over the Bordermen.

Brymbo 0 Llandudno Albion 5

Albion returned to form in style with a five-goal caning of hosts Brymbo.

A Matt Busby own goal put the visitors on their way, Joel Lloyd, Lee Stokes and Jack Atherton making it 4-0 at the break.

Joe Carey made it five in the second half for Albion, whose usual outfield star Dan Evans did a sound job as a stand-in goalkeeper.

Brickfield Rangers 1 Llanrwst United 2

Chris Nicolson’s late winner settled it for the Roosters, who had earlier led through Callum Parry’s goal on the stroke of half time.

Andy Vale equalised on 58 minutes.

Llanuwchllyn A Rhydymwyn A

This match was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch with Llan 2-0 up and looking good for the points.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: