Cymru North – wins for Holywell and Colwyn Bay while Gresford fight back from two-down to draw

Holywell’s opening goalscorer Ollie Buckley fires for goal. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Ruthin Town 2 (Cumming 32, Williams 66)
Holywell Town 3 (Buckley 18, Andrews 26, Cooke 46)

Report: Steve Roberts

The Wellmen completed back-to-back league wins for the first time this season and continued their steady climb away from the Cymru North drop zone.

At a ground where they have not had the best of luck over recent years, the Wellmen made a positive start.

The returning Danny Andrews, who missed the midweek Nathaniel MG Cup defeat to Connah’s Quay Nomads, picked up a clearance from keeper Ryan Goldston.

Andrews fired the ball back goalwards as the glovesman was off his line, but the effort fell wide of the post.

Soon after Andrews slid the ball across the face of goal, Miles Hart arrived at the far post to tap home, but the keeper recovered miraculously to save.

Ollie Buckley was also denied by Goldston before Ruthin’s first chance fell just after the 10-minute mark. Jamie Cumming had only keeper Keighan Jones to beat, but dragged his shot off target.

Holywell took the lead with 17 minutes on the clock.

Zebb Edwards played a lovely ball to split the Ruthin defence towards Buckley, who beat the challenge of the defender running back and fired past the advancing Goldston.

Ruthin almost grabbed an instant equaliser. A slip let in Charlie Williams, but he overran the ball and Keighan Jones was forced to kick clear.

Jones was called into action again, saving well from Joseph Sullivan.

Midway through the half, the visitors increased their lead.

Dylan Allshorn went on a run down the left, cut into the penalty area and fed a great ball through to Andrews, who made no mistake.

With 33 minutes played, Cumming lashed a free kick into the top corner to halve the deficit.

Half-time: Ruthin 1 Holywell 2

Brilliant goalmouth action from Ruthin Town v Holywell (red). Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

The second half was only a couple of minutes old when Jake Cooke made it 3-1.

His run towards goal saw him beat his marker and unleash an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

With just under half an hour to go, Ruthin again reduced the arrears. Williams burst forward and slotted past the advancing Jones.

The goal lifted the home side who looked for the equaliser. but the visitors rode the storm.

Zebb Edwards went close to a fourth for Holywell when his powerful header crashed against the crossbar.

Colwyn Bay 4 (McCready 14, Kirby 25 & 44, Williams 50)
Holyhead Hotspur 3 (Summers-Jones 35, Morris 37 & 63)

Hotspur could feel hard done by after being denied a last-gasp penalty which if given would have provided a golden chance to snatch a draw.

In the end Bay survived late pressure to hold out for a 4-3 win.

It was a first league defeat in six outings for Darren Garmey’s side.

Holyhead had the first chance following good play from Jay Gibbs and Liam Morris, but Dean Garmey could not convert.

Then the Seagulls were gifted a goal after Dafydd Jones was caught on the ball at the edge of his box leaving Tom McCready with a free run to slot past the keeper.

Bay went two-up following a James Kirby header from a corner which was deemed by the assistant to have crossed the line.

Holyhead then came to life when an excellent strike from Dylan Summers Jones via a tight angle made it 2-1.

The Holy Islanders levelled following great work from Gibbs, who danced through the defence and had his shot blocked only for Morris to finish under pressure.

Colwyn went ahead just before the half through Kirby following some neat football around the penalty area.

Joe Williams scored a fourth for the Bay from the edge of the area four minutes into the second half.

Jay Gibbs (stripes) impressed again for Hotspur

Kirby struck the bar with a volley, but again Holyhead hit back with Morris scoring their third and his second on 61 minutes.

Bay keeper Andy Coughlin made a fine save to deny Gibbs an equaliser and Morris missed another good chance for the visitors in a tense finale.

In the last action of the game, following more Holyhead pressure, a Morris shot was deflected through to Dean Garmey, who it appeared was pulled back, but the officials waved play on.

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey said after the game: “We gave everything today and never stopped believing we could get something.

“Yes, we gave away some soft goals but the character to bounce back and dominate the last 15 minutes just goes to show the fight we have in this squad.

“We had the second best defensive record going into this game and then to lose both of our centre-halves this week was a massive blow, but the lads adapted to different positions and fought to the very end and fully deserved to take something from the game.”

Gresford Athletic 2 (J Lloyd 45, Chaplin 49)
Conwy Borough 2 (C Williams 9, McGonigle 22)

In their first game back at Clappers Lane for 21 months, Gresford fought back from two-down to earn a draw.

Borough went ahead in the ninth minute through Cory Williams and added another when Corrig McGonigle struck on 22.

Athletic had a chance to hit back through a controversial penalty in the 41st minute, but Joe Chaplin’s attempt hit the crossbar.

However, the hosts finally replied right on half time, as Jac Lloyd tapped in from a Dave MacIntyre flick-on.

The second half started well for Gresford Athletic and in the 49th minute Chaplin scored from long-range to make up for the previously missed penalty.

Boro earned a spot-kick in the 61st minute, but Robbie Williams saved McGonigle’s effort.

The game ended with Gresford substitute Corey Smart being sent off in the 93rd minute for a poor tackle.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: