Wednesday night reports from North Wales football – August 18

Bangor 1876 (blue and white) on the attack against Gaerwen. Picture: DAFYDD HUGHES


Gaerwen 1 (Jamie Baker 57)
Bangor 1876 9 (Tom Clarke 4 & 64, Cameron Barry 37, 76 & 89, Harry Galeotti 45+1. Joe Culshaw 49, Les Davies 61, Ben Owen 87)
Report: Dr Jonathan Ervine

Cameron Barry notched a hat-trick as Bangor 1876 made it five straight Premier Division wins with a 9-1 away routing of Gaerwen.

After three minutes, 1876 took the lead after a Les Davies cross from the left eluded the home defence and appeared to be turned in from close range by Tomos Clarke.

However, the Bangor defender confessed the opener was in fact an own goal and that the ball had crossed the line before he got a touch.

On an evening when there were many positives from a Bangor perspective, a low point came shortly after the quarter hour mark when Gethin Thomas suffered a serious ankle injury following a heavy challenge.

The tackle resulted in a yellow card for home captain Christy Pritchard, who was sent off after 25 minutes for a second bookable offence.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Gaerwen kept things tight for much of the opening period as 1876 sought to build on their early lead. Eight minutes before the break, a second goal arrived as Barry side-footed home a Shaun Lock cross at the back post.

On the stroke of half-time, 1876 scored a third thanks to substitute Harry Galeotti who had replaced the injured Thomas.

The recent signing took advantage of some hesitation in the home defence and netted with a left-footed effort from a tight angle.

Great to see supporters back. Picture: DAFYDD HUGHES

Having scored early on in the first period, 1876 did so again in the second half. Four minutes after the interval, Joe Culshaw curled a free-kick over the wall and into the net from 30 yards.

Conceding a fourth goal so soon after the break didn’t discourage Gaerwen and they got on the scoresheet themselves after 56 minutes when striker Jamie Baker netted with a deft chip from just outside the penalty area.

Five minutes later, 1876 extended their lead to 5-1 when it was Davies’ turn to score with a chip as he found the target from a tight angle on the left-hand side of the penalty area. Clarke made it six after a Culshaw corner was nodded into his path by Davies.

As the match progressed, several further opportunities for Bangor followed although they were denied on several occasions by excellent saves from home goalkeeper Lee Heywood, making his first start for Gaerwen after recently joining from Amlwch.

However, Heywood was unable to prevent a seventh Bangor goal as the match entered the final 15 minutes. He managed to save a Davies shot, but Barry was on hand to turn in the rebound.

Fellow midfielder Ben Owen added an eighth with three minutes left with a curling shot from just outside the penalty area. Barry completed his hat-trick a minute later with a calm finish after an effort from Davies had been saved.


Penycae 1 (Evan Woodall 65)
Corwen 4 (Tomos Williams 41, Kevin Day 45 & 66, Scott Evans 85)
Report: Gavin Billington

Great goalmouth action from Penycae v Corwen (red) courtesy of Gavin Billington

A third win in four league starts edged Corwen up to an impressive second in Ardal North East.

Both sides had efforts on goal in the first 40 minutes, the best coming from Scott Evans who was denied by a tremendous save from Penycae keeper Ben Darlington.

Four minutes before the break the deadlock was broken when the ball was played through to Tom Williams, who slotted beyond the advancing Darlington to open the scoring.

Corwen were two goals ahead a minute before the interval, when Tom Williams’ great touch played in Kevin Day, who applied the finish.

In the 65th minute the hosts halved the deficit, Evan Woodall with a superb first time shot into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the D.

Corwen’s two-goal cushion was restored two minutes later, when Day ran on to the ball and got through on goal, placing it past Darlington.

As the game entered the closing minutes Corwen were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. Scott Evans was brilliantly able to send the ball just beyond the fingertips of Darlington and into the top corner.


Borras Park Albion 0
Chirk Town 8 (Nick Williams 26 & 40; James Williams 46, 58 & 67; Tristan Lloyd 49, 80 & 85)

Tristan Lloyd

The Taverners cruised through to the next round at the expense of Borras,

Hosts Albion frustrated the opposition for the first 25 minutes until a Nick Williams shot from 25 yards put Town 1-0 in front.
It was 2-0 five minutes before the break when it was Nick Williams again with an extraordinary volley from 25 yards.

He let the ball pass over his head and unleashed a scoring shot.

The second half was all Town with impressive striker Jamie Williams netting after 20 seconds after a mix up in the Borras defence,

Tristan Lloyd was among the goals again for 4-0 after being played through by Nick Williams.

Jamie Williams scored with a header from assist king Aaron Davies’ corner and completed his hat-trick minutes later for 6-0.

Tristan Lloyd also made it a treble to share the match ball with Jamie Williams by scoring from just inside his own half and adding another with a low drive from 20 yards,


Penmaenmawr Phoenix 4 (Alfie Caldecott 60, 67 & 83; Daniel Williams 74 pen)

Llandudno Junction 3 (Mathew Jones 5 & 90+, Chris Morris 45+)

Beautiful view shot from Penmaenmawr v Junction from @Leeds_Hopper

Alfie Caldecott was a hat-trick hero as Pen edged victory in a seven-goal derby thriller with the Railwaymen.

Junction controlled the first half, Mathew Jones and Chris Morris both on target with the hosts way off the pace.

Phoenix improved in the second period, Caldecott playing the starring role with three goals.

Young talent Ben Hughes had a major influence, winning the penalty which Dan Willliams converted.

At 4-2 down, Junction rallied and Mathew Jones bagged his second of the night.

Penmaenmawr manager Martyn Jones said: “A really poor opening 45 minutes for us saw us fall two behind at the break, we fell way below the standards I expect.

“Credit to the lads though in the second half, Alfie Caldecott really turned it on and deserved his hat trick. Sixteen-year-old Ben Hughes came in and really changed the game from midfield. He won the penalty (converted by Dan Williams) to give us the lead with 15 to go.

“At 4-2 Junction came at us and the lads stood firm to hold out despite a late scare with a smart finish from Mathew Jones for his second of the night.

“Although we were poor in the first half I think we were worthy of the 3 points with the second half performance.”

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: