Welsh Cup round one reports – August 14

Cracking goalmouth action from Llanuwchllyn v Denbigh Town (red). Picture: ROY GUNTHER


Llanfair United 2 (Richard Jones OG 49, Josh Astley 85)
Penrhyndeudraeth 3 (Tomos Smith 11 & 61, Cai Henshaw 32)

Three days after suffering a demoralising 7-1 defeat – their first loss of the season – Penrhyndeudraeth produced an amazing comeback to knock higher level opponents out of the Welsh Cup.

Iwan Williams’ tier 4 heroes picked themselves up in remarkable style to overcome a Llanfair outfit which entered the weekend top of tier 3 Ardal North East.

The North Wales Coast West Premier Division visitors led 2-0 at half time courtesy of goals from Tomos Smith and Cai Henshaw.

Cai Henshaw (light blue) scored for Penrhyndeudraeth

A Richard Jones own goal gave the Powys hosts hope four minutes into the second half, but just past the hour Smith made it 3-1 for the Cockles.

Despite a late reply from the very much in-form Josh Astley, it was Penrhyn who advanced with one of the results of the 2021-22 competition so far.

Winning manager Williams, whose team were stunned after that 7-1 thrashing at Llanberis on Wednesday, said: “I thought we were brilliant. A sign of a good team is when you react from adversity. Today we grew as a team and I had men on the pitch that dealt with everything.

“They (Llanfair) are a good outfit, higher opposition and we won’t get the credit we deserve for that today because we were expected to lose, especially after Wednesday night’s shambles.

“My team talk was easy today, but I can only do so much as their manager, they need to do the business and react. Today they did. We were at it in the team talk, the warm up and especially the performance.

“I’m so proud of them all. Not only are they my players, but they are also my friends so it’s always difficult when you feel let down and hurt after a comprehensive loss. Today we vanquished that disappointment and grew as a team.

Can I just say that today our fans were great, they carried us through to see the game out. Our community is back together!”

Bodedern Athletic 5 (Evans 36, Gregg 42, Taylor 47, Thomas 49, Lewthwaite 80)
Llandyrnog United 1 (Williams 32)

It is now nine straight wins and 46 goals for Bodedern so far this season, this latest victory taking them through to the Welsh Cup second round.

Against the run of play, the North Wales Coast West Premier Division side went a goal down to their East equivalents when Paul Williams made it 1-0 on 32 minutes.

However, Marc Evans levelled on 36 minutes with his 13th goal of the campaign and Casey Gregg added a second before half time.

Jordan Taylor and a 13th of the season from Asa Thomas made it 4-1 before five minutes of the second half had elapsed.

And substitute Darren Lewthwaite put the icing on the cake with a fifth 10 minutes from time.

Brymbo 3 (Kearney 10, Ellina 60, Sheriff 90)
Llansantffraid Village 1 (Broadbent 65)

Brymbo needed a 90th minute goal from Alex Sheriff to make sure of their place in round two.

Ben Kearney and Jimmy Ellina put the Steelmen two-up before Ryan Broadbent replied to keep the visitors in the contest.

Buckley Town 2 (Bellis 6, Hamilton 76)
Mold Alexandra 1 (Warren 23)

In a fiercely-fought game at The Globe, goals from Aled Bellis and Asa Hamilton booked Bucks their place in the next round of the Welsh Cup.

Dan Moore’s side were made to fight hard, however, by neighbours Mold, who pulled level in the first half through Danny Warren.

Caergybi 1 (Owen pen 62)
Cefn Albion 4 (Gibbins 44, N Jones 55, J Jones pen 66, Gunson 74)

Tier 5 Caergybi did their level proud before eventually succumbing to a three-goal defeat at the hands of third-tier Ardal North East side Albion.

In a tight first half where the underdogs gave as good as they got, Dion Gibbins broke the deadlock just before the break.

Nic Jones doubled the away score 10 minutes into the second half, but a Gary-Jo Owen penalty put Caergybi back in the contest.

However, a Jordan Jones spot-kick and a further goal from Tom Gunson sealed it for the favourites.

Caersws 2 (Thomas 57, Mitchell 86)
Rhostyllen 2 (Thomas 17, Allman 21)
(Rhostyllen won 5-4 on pens)

After losing a two-goal lead Rhostyllen raised themselves to come through on penalties at the Recreation Ground.

The visitors came out flying, going up 1-0 with a left-footed strike from young winger Cameron Thomas on 17 minutes.

Four minutes later veteran winger Olie Allman cut in from the left and curled a shot straight into the top corner.

Rhostyllen finished the half comfortably and were in complete control.

The second half was a different story with Caersws on the front foot from the off, making it 2-1 just before the hour through William Thomas.

The Bluebirds completed the comeback with four minutes remaining when Neil Mitchell equalised.

The tie went straight to pens with Rhostyllen progressing to the next round with a 5-4 result, which included a great save from debutant keeper Luke Christie.

Rhostyllen’s MOTM award went to left back Kevin Roberts, who worked tirelessly the whole game and was outstanding.

Holyhead Hotspur 1 (Morris 37)
Rhos Aelwyd 0

Liam Morris (stripes) scored for Hotspur. Picture: CHRIS WILLZ

Liam Morris scored the only goal for the Cymru North hosts, who were given a great battle by visitors from a tier below.

First half chances fell for Mel McGinness and Harry Lewis before Morris’ deflected shot found its way into the bottom corner.

The second half saw more of the same with McGinness, Jay Gibbs and Morris going close.

Former Wycombe Wanderers keeper Alex Lynch, on the comeback trail after lengthy injury issues, was solid between the sticks for Hotspur, parrying one fine shot wide of the post.

Winning manager Darren Garmey said: “We actually played a lot better than the scoreline suggests but on too many occasions the final ball or finish was not quite good enough

“I’m not going to show disrespect to the opposition and say how many goals we should have scored because Rhos put up a good fight and battled hard throughout and we’re always only a goal away from having the game taken to penalties.

“The main thing is we progressed to the next round, but the biggest victory of the day for us was Alex Lynch stepping up his comeback, playing 90 minutes and keeping a clean sheet.”

Holywell Town 2 (Andrews pen 30, Ap Gareth 60)
Gresford Athletic 3 (Worrall 63, Smart 89, Hassall 90+6)

Losing two-goal leads has become a depressing trend for Holywell this season – today it cost them their place in the 2021-22 Welsh Cup.

Danny Andrews’ penalty gave the Wellmen a half-time lead, then when Ilan Ap Gareth’s fine shot from 20 yards made it 2-0 on the hour, the hosts looked well on course for round two.

However, three minutes later some marvellous close control and an ice-cool finish from Matthew Worrall gave the visitors hope.

In the 89th minute a left-foot strike from Corey Smart made it all-square, then deep into added time an Aaron Hassall free kick beat the dive of Ellis Allen to seal the tie for a buoyant Gresford.

Llanelwy Athletic 2 (Kirk 22, Porter 50)
Berriew 7 (Evans 9, Haycock 38 & 56, Davies 45, 76 & 79, Rogers 54)

Tier 5 Llanelwy found Ardal North East outfit Berriew eventually too strong at Gronant Playing Fields.

Sam Evans, Joe Haycock (2), Richard Davies (3) and Steffan Rogers brought up the seven away goals, Steve Kirk and Danny Porter responding.

The underdogs made the score 1-1 and 2-3 over the 90 minutes, but the tier 3 travellers pulled away in the second half.

Llangefni Town 0
Ruthin Town 1 (Jones 73)

Joshua Jones settled this all-Cymru North tie with the only goal of the match 17 minutes from time at Lon Talwrn.

Llanfairfechan Town 1 (Croston 6)
Llanrwst United 2 (Lundstram 58, Parry 66)

Callum Parry marked his return to Llanrwst with the winner in a hard-fought cup clash at outsiders Llanfairfechan.

The tier 4 North Wales Coast East Premier Division hosts led 1-0 at the interval thanks to a sixth-minute goal from Elliot Croston.

After missing a penalty in the first half, Benn Lundstram made amends with the equaliser on 58 minutes.

Then in the 66th minute Parry plundered the decider for the tier 3 Ardal North West visitors.

Llanuwchllyn 2 (Evans 32, Williams pen 82)
Denbigh Town 4 (S Jones 9 & 47, P Jones OG 54, Fleming 74)

Denbigh (red) on the attack. Picture: ROY GUNTHER

This all-tier 3 contest promised to be one of the ties of the first round and so it proved with six goals scored and Denbigh emerging as deserved victors.

On a hugely impressive Village Hall pitch, Town made the early running, Rob Dascalu saving well from Stuart Jones and Paul Fleming.

The visitors took the lead when Mark Roberts nudged the ball into the path of strike partner Sam Jones, whose magnificent strike from 25 yards went in off the post.

Llanuwchllyn responded well, forcing Joe Griffith into a fantastic save where he tipped the ball onto the woodwork.

From the corner Joe Evans’ brave header found the back of the net.

The hosts continued to press and Denbigh were relieved to go in at 1-1.

Within a minute of the restart the visitors were back in front.

Kristian Pierce’s free kick was cleared by the defence only to Stuart Jones, whose rocket shot flew into the top corner.

Denbigh’s tempo had increased following the half time team talk and they started to take control of the game. Their third goal came after 54 minutes and once again Lee Davey was involved.

He won the ball in midfield and played the ball across to right back Sion Jones. Jones linked well with Paul Fleming and received the ball back near the edge of the Llanuwchllyn penalty area. Jones sent in a fierce cross which saw Llanuwchllyn’s unfortunate defender Paul Jones slice into his own goal.

On 73 minutes Denbigh had their fourth goal. Midfield dynamo Fleming took the ball in his stride and unleashed a left foot bullet into the net.

Joe Williams’ late penalty was a mere consolation for Llanuwchllyn.

Llay Welfare 2 (Taylor 37, Mountford 50)
Llandudno 4 (Cavanagh 54, 63 & 84; T Jones 89)

Finding themselves two-down after 50 minutes, Llandudno were heading for a shock Welsh Cup exit.

However, a Shaun Cavanagh hat-trick and late fourth from Toby Jones saw the Seasiders through.

Luke Taylor and Jack Mountford had put the tier 3 hosts seemingly in command with a goal apiece to make it 2-0, but the tide turned.

Porthmadog 3 (Thomas 44, M Jones 62, Williams 90)
Llanberis 0

Port advanced to round two at the expense of a Darans outfit buoyed by a shock 7-1 win over previously undefeated Penrhyndeudraeth in midweek.

However, the Ardal North West hosts proved a much tougher proposition, although it took them until the 44th minute for Dewi Thomas to make the breakthrough.

Matty Jones made it 2-0 just past the hour and Julian Williams added a late third.

CPD Y Rhyl 1879 1 (Todd 60)
Rhydymwyn 0

Defender Miles Todd notched the only goal to send tier 4 Rhyl into the next round at the expense of third-tier visitors Rhydymwyn.

Todd headed in off the underside of the bar following a short corner routine on the hour at Belle Vue.

A happy home manager Gareth Thomas said: “Outstanding performance from the lads, depleted with injuries but they were excellent and fully deserved the win. Another game where we learned about the squad especially with the young lads stepping up as the starting 11 had 5 lads under 21.”

Saltney Town 3 (Johnson 34 & 59, O’Brien 90)
Y Felinheli 2 (G John 43 pen, Stead 90 + 5)

Jake Johnson (2) and Jordan O’Brien shared the goals that ensured Saltney advanced to round two.

Gruff John (pen) and a late effort from Ifan Stead provided Felinheli’s replies.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: