Welcome to the Ardal Northern – reports from North West and North East

Porthmadog hat-trick hero Matthew Jones. Graphic: CPD Porthmadog – many thanks



Saltney Town 0
Porthmadog 4 (M Jones 12, 39 & 61 pen; J Williams 34)

Report with kind assistance of Mr Treflyn Jones

New signing Matthew Jones made sure his and Porthmadog’s first-ever match in Ardal North West was a memorable one as the striker netted three times in a 4-0 victory at Saltney.

Former Llannerchymedd, Llangefni Town and Bodedern Athletic front man Jones was a prolific marksman for those clubs, and his display on Saturday suggests he can be the same for Port.

Saltney had the first big chance when Tommy Booth was through on goal, skillfully pushed the ball past advancing keeper Dylan Roberts, but saw it cannon off the post and the follow-up effort was brilliantly blocked by a Port defender.

This woke Port up and soon after summer capture Nathan Craig’s fierce free kick was superbly saved by Josh Cooke.

The visitors went ahead on 14 minutes. Rhys Alun Williams’ close range header came back off the post. However, the move was kept alive by some slick passing and Williams’ low cross was slotted home by the ever-alert Matthew Jones.

In the 35th minute the lead was doubled.

It all started from a superb interception in midfield by Gareth Jones-Evans who relayed the ball to the left from where Rhys Alun`s cross found the returning Julian Williams, just transferred from Colwyn Bay, who volleyed home.

Five minutes before the interval, Matthew Jones turned expertly in the box and guided his shot way out of Cooke`s reach into the left hand corner of the net. Half-time: 0-3.

Both sides had their moments in their early part of the second half before on 63 minutes Dewi Thomas` hard work at last paid off when his mazy run into the box culminated in a clear foul by the Saltney keeper.

Understandably, the responsibility of converting the spot-kick was duly given to Matthew Jones who calmly sent Cooke the wrong way. A memorable Matt-trick.

Llanrwst United 3 (T Jones 36, S Jones 40 & 54)
Llay Welfare 2 (Hughes 70, Taylor 89)

Llanrwst held off a late fightback from their visitors to begin life in the new tier 3 Ardal North West with a win.

The Roosters took a 36th minute lead when Tom Jones sent a powerful header into the bottom corner.

Sam Jones added a second for the hosts before the break with a composed finish.

When Sam Jones bundled in his second and United’s third from a corner nine minutes into the second half, it looked all over, but Llay had other ideas.

Liam Hughes hit back in the 70th minute and when Luke Taylor made it 3-2 on 89 a tense finish was set up, but Llanrwst held on for the points.

Blaenau Amateurs 2 (Jones 4, Roberts 68)
Brymbo 3 (Mohsin 3, Ellia 47, Conlan pen 58)

A good contest at Cae Clyd ended in a narrow victory for the Steelmen.

Yusuf Mohsin headed Brymbo in front from a Nathan Conlan cross after just three minutes.

Blaenau produced a terrific response, Kian Jones making it one-apiece just a minute later.

All-square at the break, but two minutes into the second half a perfectly-timed run from Jimmy Ellia ended with him beating onrushing keeper Robert Jones with precision to edge the visitors ahead again.

Three minutes later Conlan converted a penalty for 3-1, but Gethin Roberts soon hit back for the Quarrymen and the result was in the balance until the end.

Brickfield Rangers 3 (Andy Vale 2, Issac Dawson)
Llanuwchllyn 4 (Joe Williams, Joe Evans, Sam Evans, Tom Watkin-Jones)

Injury-hit Brickfield lost out by the odd goal in seven in a great advert for the new Ardal Northern leagues.

The match stood 1-1 at half time before Llanuwchllyn got the better of things after the break.

Mold Alexandra 4 (Danny Warren 2, Rhys Nash, Joe Ormrod)
Llandudno Albion 2 (Joe Carey Jnr 2)

Although Albion took an early lead through Joe Carey, Mold rallied to be 3-1 up by half time.

There was one goal apiece in the second half, but Michael Cunningham’s home side were much the better for the majority of the match.

Rhostyllen 1 (Lee Mcburney 70)
CPD Y Felinheli 1 (Gavin Lloyd-Jones 1)

Chas Rowland captures some great action from Rhostyllen v Y Felinheli

Visitors Felinheli could not have dreamed of a better start as Gavin Lloyd-Jones put them ahead in the first minute.

Rhostyllen fought back strongly and eventually got the equaliser which earned them a point, Lee Mcburney on the mark.


Nantlle Vale v Denbigh Town (Covid)


Chirk AAA 4 (Thomas 40, 81 pen, Simms 67, Faithfull 90)
Dolgellau AA 0

The perfect way for Chirk to mark their first game in a new league.

Both sides started cautiously so it was no surprise that it was 20 minutes before the first chance when Lewis Clamp fired just wide from the left.

On the half hour Chirk took the lead when Louie Middlehurst squared for Matty Thomas to drill home from 10 yards.

The second half started with both teams determined not to give away possession and a lively, physical battle prevailed until the 67th minute when Chirk midfielder Jake Simms chipped the keeper from the edge of the box to put The Colliers two goals ahead.

The last 20 minutes saw the hosts introduce three substitutes and they had quite an impact. First the lively Alistair Gibson was brought down in the 81st minute and from the resulting penalty, Thomas scored his second goal.

Then another substitute Tom Faithfull notched a last-minute goal to wrap up the points for Chirk.

Caersws 2 (Mitchell, R Davies)
Cefn Albion 2 (Mannion, R Davies OG)

Albion could feel more than satisfied at coming away from a difficult trip to Caersws with a share of the points.

Rhydian Davies handed the Bluebirds an early lead, but a brilliant Callum Mannion effort levelled it before an own goal from home scorer Davies made it 2-1 to the Cefners at half time.

Former Welsh Premier regular Neil Mitchell made it all-square in the second half and 2-2 is how it remained.

Machynlleth 1 (Petrie 48)
Corwen 5 (Day 3, Cordiner 50, S Evans 53 & 57, Crimp 69)

After the disappointment of being knocked out of the Welsh Cup the previous week Corwen bounced back in style in their first league game for 513 days as they triumphed 5-1 at Machynlleth.

The hosts forced an early corner from which they saw the ball cleared off the goal-line, then from the clearance Corwen countered and Kevin Day went it alone to slot past oncoming keeper Thomas Jenkins for the opener.

That was the only goal of the first half, then three minutes after the restart Jac Petrie headed in the equaliser.

This galvanized Corwen, who on 50 minutes were back in front when a great move resulted in Owen Cordiner heading home.

With 53 on the clock Corwen were awarded a free kick from which Scott Evans curled the ball up and over the wall and into the top corner.

It was soon 4-1 when Evans chipped the keeper from the edge of the box.

The away side made it five goals for the afternoon as Oliver Crimp sent a low shot at goal from a tight angle, which just crept under Jenkins and into the back of the net.

Penycae 3 (Thomas Edwards 30, Austin Owen 80 & 89)
Welshpool Town 3 (Ryan Knott 15, 70 & 78)

A courageous late fightback from Penycae earned them a point against an impressive Welshpool.

Ryan Knott gave the Lilywhites a 15th minute lead, but Thomas Edwards made it 1-1 on the half-hour.

When Knott struck on 70 and 78 minutes an away win looked very much on the cards, but Austin Owen replied twice in the closing stages to salvage a point for the Wrexham area hosts.

Other scores

Bow Street 3 (Iolo ap Dafydd 2, Llyr Davies) Kerry 1 (Ethan Holloway)

Carno 3 (Joe Morris, Ioan Humphreys, Jack Orbell) Four Crosses 2 (Paul Bache, Chris Dyke)

Llanfair United 4 (Josh Astley 4, 1 pen) Penparcau 1 (Ryan Edwards)

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: