Cymru North: Guilsfield and Buckley make the early running

Fantastic goalmouth action from Holywell v Buckley. Picture: TREVOR JONES BTFC


Holywell Town 2 (Andrews 6, Graham 44)
Buckley Town 3 (Jones 67 & 88; Teixeira 70)

Bucks maintained their magnificent start to the Cymru North season as they battled back from two goals down to snatch all three points at Holywell.

With a win over Bangor City, a draw at co-leaders Guilsfield and now a stunning victory at Halkyn Road, it has been a dream start for Dan Moore’s men.

As for Holywell, they have led 2-0 twice this term and been one-up in their other match, yet still seek a first win in three attempts.

Saturday’s clash with Bucks saw the Wellmen take the lead on six minutes.

Ollie Buckley broke into the penalty area, got to the byline and cut the ball back across the face of goal where Danny Andrews tapped into an empty net.

The hosts nearly doubled their lead on 20 minutes when Luke Edwards’ free kick was palmed away by keeper Joe Makaruk.

A great run by Dylan Allshorn into the box saw him lay the ball off for Andrews, but with an open goal in front of him, he was denied by a last-gasp tackle.

In the 44th minute it was 2-0, James Graham rising at the far post to head in to the delight of the home crowd.

Early in the second half, Andrews, Buckley and Jake Cooke all went close for Johnny Haseldin’s side.

Buckley pulled one back on 67 minutes, Ellis Allen’s clearance falling to Joshua Jones, whose looping effort found the back of the net.

The visitors nearly grabbed a second minutes later, a goalmouth scramble seeing Allen saving well, then a Bucks strike flew back off the crossbar.
Buckley made it 2-2 on 70 minutes through sub Ruben Teixeira.

This further lifted the visitors who went looking for a third. That third and winning goal came in the 88th minute, when a ball across the penalty area found Joshua Jones, who slotted home.

Guilsfield 3 (A Jones OG 68, Matthews 70 & 90)
Holyhead Hotspur 0

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey was disappointed his team could not build on a good first-half display where they held table-toppers Guilsfield to 0-0.

An Alex Jones own goal and two from Iwan Matthews booked maximum points for the Powys outfit in the second period.

Garmey said: “The defeat is hard to take and one we will look back on with regret as a missed chance.

“We were very good in the first half and did not look like conceding while posing a threat of our own, so to then concede such a poor goal followed by another a minute later was criminal.

“We will now brush ourselves down and get back to the training ground where I will expect to see a reaction and a group of players fighting for their place ahead of the Llangefni game (on August 10).”

Airbus UK Broughton 1 (Davies 58)
Bangor City 4 (Carty 42, Isla 62 pen, 83 & 90)

Dante Isla netted a hat-trick for Bangor City

Argentine ace Dante Isla Cacciavillani netted a second-half hat-trick to secure a fantastic win for Bangor.

Despite having to play 80 minutes with 10 men following the early dismissal of Juan Torres, the Citizens went on to bank maximum points against the odds.

Airbus suffered a third-minute setback when Adam Davies had a penalty, awarded for handball, saved by Scott Reed.

Torres was shown a straight red card after 10 minutes for a foul on Davies.

The Wingmakers had some close calls before, on the brink of half time, the visitors scored against the run of play.

Giacomo Mello slipped through winger David Carty, who finished coolly past the out-rushing Barnie Simpson.

On the hour mark, the hosts were back on level terms. Nathan Brown delivered an enticing ball into the six-yard area and Davies poked home.

Soon after, however, Isla breached the Airbus defence and was impeded by Simpson to earn a penalty. The forward stepped up to convert and restore Bangor’s advantage.

Two late goals from the lively Isla sealed the triumph for Hugo Colace’s side.

Colwyn Bay 0
Ruthin Town 1 (Mann 78)

Dark horses Ruthin upset the script by snatching all three points at the 4 Crosses Arena.

A crowd of 550 watched Bay’s first competitive home game in 18 months, but the majority went home disappointed.

The only goal of a tightly fought game came 12 minutes from the end when Ruthin’s Thomas Mann scored from a corner.

Earlier Sam Jones had a goal for the Seagulls ruled out for offside.

Against his old club, Llyr Morris had a shot saved and another effort blocked, while Tom McCready and Sam Jones were narrowly off target.

Conwy Borough 1 (Williams 82)
Llanidloes Town 3 (Carruthers 18, Bird 32 pen & 68)

A powerful Dafydd Carruthers header and Connor Bird penalty handed the Daffs a decisive 2-0 lead at half time.

Bird made it three on 68 minutes, then a tremendous double save from Luke Evans denied the hosts a consolation before Nathan Williams pulled one back.

Llangefni Town 1 (Smith 86)
Penrhyncoch 5 (Gittins 4, 31 & 40, Foligno 35, Nutting 42)

All the damage was done before half time by the visitors, who went in with a five-goal lead.

Stefan Gittins bagged a hat-trick, while Jon Foligno and Garmon Nutting also found the net.

The second half was damage-limitation for Llangefni, who at least notched a late consolation via Jack Smith.

Prestatyn Town 1 (Reed 72)
Gresford Athletic 2 (Chaplin 57 & 74)

Joe Chaplin scored twice for Gresford

One of the league’s deadliest marksmen, Joe Chaplin, grabbed both goals in an outstanding win for Gresford.

Jamie Reed brought Prestatyn level on 72 minutes, but it was not long before Chaplin plundered the winner.

Both teams had chances, but Gresford can be pleased with themselves for having the better ones and making them count.

After a fairly uneventful first half, Chaplin headed in a Danny Holland cross.

Reed’s headed equaliser was cancelled out two minutes later when Chaplin pounced from a Matthew Worrall pass across the Town defence.

Both teams fought hard in the final 15 minutes, with a number of yellow cards for players and coaching staff, but in the end, Gresford held on for all three points.

Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 1 (Burgess 41)
Llandudno 3 (Owen 1, Cavanagh 30 pen & 47)

Three points on the road for Sean Eardley’s men.

Morgan Owen scored after one minute for the visitors before Shaun Cavanagh doubled the advantage after 30 from the penalty spot.

James Burgess gave the home side hope before the interval as he got on the scoresheet to make it 2-1, but Cavanagh bagged his second soon after the turnaround to secure the honours.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: