Flashback – 10 years ago: Nomads win once more and bring league title ever closer

Ben Collins opened the scoring for Nomads. Picture: Connah’s Quay Nomads website

Connah’s Quay Nomads 3 (Collins 45, McIntosh 56, Thurston 74)
Penrhyncoch 0
Huws Gray Alliance – Tuesday 19th April 2011

Nomads edged ever nearer towards the 2010-11 Huws Gray Alliance title with a comfortable 3-0 win against a quality Penrhyncoch outfit on this date 10 years ago.

Even a floodlight failure could not stop the Deesiders’ charge towards the league championship.

Recalled to the side was goalkeeper Adam McGee, who had been unable to oust Louis Mackin from the No 1 jersey for the past two months.

In midfield, Tom Baker and Rob Jones came in for Jamie Petrie and Alan Hooley, while James McIntosh earned a place alongside Gary O’Toole in attack.

Nomads were quickly out of the blocks and McIntosh soon made an impact, crossing for Andy Alston to head straight at the Roosters’ ‘keeper Llew Hughes in only the second minute before shooting just wide following a Rob Jones corner.

Baker also went close following a bout of head tennis in the visitors six-yard box.

Almost half an hour elapsed before Penrhyncoch caused the home defence a problem and then Josh Shaw was unable to get on the end of a long ball from Tony Jones.

Nomads were soon back on the attack with Rob Jones firing wide, after being set-up by O’Toole, before Danny Forde had a ‘goal’ disallowed following a goalmouth scramble.

On the half hour, visiting centre-half Llyr Hughes stepped up to crack a 35 yard free kick which took a deflection and brought a diving save from McGee.

Right on half-time, Nomads took the lead.

Baker, advancing down the middle, spotted Ben Collins in the left channel. Collins collected the through ball in his stride, checked onto his right foot and scored his ninth goal of the season.

Half-time: Nomads 1 Penrhyncoch 0

As if on cue, the floodlights failed as the players left the pitch.

Fortunately, the problem was soon diagnosed and the second half was only delayed by five minutes.

Penrhyncoch quickly went in search of an equaliser and Dan James’ cross was glanced just beyond the far post by Ashley Stephens.

This spurred the home side into life and Baker saw his shot strike the body of ‘keeper Hughes.

On 56 minutes Nomads doubled their lead and again Collins played a big part. A quickly taken free-kick by Mark McGregor was turned into Collins’ path by O’Toole, the left-back striding forward before hitting a perfect low cross into the Penrhyncoch goalmouth where McIntosh slid the ball home.

Now the Deesiders began to turn the screw. Forde saw his lob bounce twice on the crossbar after Hughes had just managed to get a glove on the ball, O’Toole headed agonisingly past a post and Collins almost grabbed another goal following a good run by substitute Jamie Petrie.

And it was Petrie who made Nomads’ third goal in the 74th minute. Collecting the ball some 35 yards out he shot fiercely at goal and Hughes could only parry the ball which fell invitingly for Dean Thurston, on the pitch for only two minutes, to net his eighth goal of the campaign.

NOMADS: Adam McGee, Ben Alston, Ben Collins, Mark McGregor, Andy Alston, Craig Jones, Tom Baker (Jamie Petrie 55), Rob Jones (Stuart Scheuber 55), Gary O’Toole, Danny Forde, James McIntosh (Dean Thurston 72).

Report: Connah’s Quay Nomads website

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: