Flashback – 10 years ago: Porthmadog prove too strong for Llangefni at the Traeth

Marcus Orlik scored a stunner for Port. Picture: Emyr Gareth

Porthmadog 4 (P Roberts pen 7, R Davies 19, C Owen 25, Orlik 56)
Llangefni Town 1 (Evans 45)
Cymru Alliance – March 23, 2011

On this date 10 years ago one point and one place separated these two sides in the table at start of play, but events on the field made the gap appear considerably more.

With Gareth Jones Evans and Dan Pyrs running the midfield, Porthmadog created a hatful of chances and had they taken even half of them the margin of the win could have been far greater.

After seven minutes Rob Marshall-Jones brought down Carl Owen in the box and the referee J B Roberts pointed to the spot.

Paul Roberts fired his penalty inside Kieran Williams’ right hand post.

In the 19th minute, a well-worked Marcus Orlik corner was turned into the box by Paul Roberts towards defender Ryan Davies, who stunned the Llangefni defence with a smart back-heel effort into the corner of the net.

The hosts continued to apply the pressure and keeper Williams did well to keep out a Rhys Roberts shot at the expense of a corner, from which a Carl Owen effort was cleared off the line.

However, Owen did not have to wait long to get on the scoresheet, racing near post to head another Orlik corner past Williams’ outstretched hands.

Port continued on the attack. A Darren Gowans volley flew wide before Paul Roberts with half time approaching ran on to a well-directed Owen downward header but with only the keeper to beat pulled his shot off target.

Then on the stroke of half time Llangefni managed to release Marc Evans with a header over the defence following a goal kick.

The striker raced into the box, finishing coolly with a shot across Richard Harvey into the net.

Half-time: Porthmadog 3 Llangefni 1

The second half started much the same as the first with Port again in the driving seat.

Jones Evans had a shot deflected over the bar, Gowans fired wide and Paul Roberts’ glancing header was not far away.

But with 56 minutes gone Port were awarded a free kick 22 yards out. Up stepped Orlik to crack a superb strike into the left hand corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Sub Cai Jones announced his arrival on the pitch, setting up Orlik with a strong run and a square ball but the forward’s shot was off radar.

Llangefni then upped their game for a period, forcing a couple of well-taken corners and Rhys Roberts twice made good clearing headers. Darren Thomas also blasted over the bar.

This was very much Port’s night, though.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones, Richie Owen, Gareth Jones Evans (Mike Foster 87), Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Dan Pyrs, Paul Roberts, Carl Owen (Cai Jones 55, Euron Roberts 77), Darren Gowans.

Llangefni: Kieran Williams, Dean Wright, Steve Kehoe, Rick Higham, Rob Marshall Jones (Matthew Hughes 46), Mike Robinson, Kevin Roberts, Tom Dix, Marc Evans, Darren Thomas, Leigh Craven (Scott Reid 80).

Attendance: 137.

Match report: Gareth Williams (Porthmadog FC website)

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: