Flashback – 10 years ago: Rhyl edge win in title battle with Nomads

Mark Cadwallader

Rhyl 1 (Cadwallader 22)
Connah’s Quay Nomads 0
Cymru Alliance – March 15, 2011

A single Mark Cadwallader strike midway through the first half sealed victory for Rhyl in a table-top tussle played on this date 10 years ago.

Cadwallader struck a 30-yard piledriver low into Louis Mackin’s bottom corner to inflict a second defeat in four days upon his former club.

The result hoisted the Lilywhites three points clear of Mark McGregor’s side at the Huws Gray Alliance summit in the process.

Rhyl looked to impose their attacking threat from the outset, dangerous winger Chris Williams blazing high and wide from a good position and Mike Pritchard hitting a half-volley straight at Mackin.

Lone Nomads striker Gary O’Toole then raced to meet a long Andy Alston pass, forcing home stopper Chris Howarth into a hurried headed clearance.

The ball eventually came back to O’Toole whose ambitious lob from wide on the right was denied a goal by a combination of Howarth and the crossbar.

Six minutes later, though, after a handful of nervy moments around the Nomads area, Rhyl went ahead when Cadwallader unleashed a fierce drive from distance which arrowed into the bottom corner.

Determined Nomads rallied. First, Stuart Scheuber played in Ben Collins to shoot tamely at Howarth then O’Toole struck inches wide with an acrobatic volley before dragging a low shot past the post moments later.

The visitors ended the half in control and after Jamie Petrie had clipped the top of the crossbar with a powerful strike from the right touchline, Collins fired across goal from the left corner of the box.

Half-time: Rhyl 1 Nomads 0

Immediately after the restart, Rhyl player-manager Greg Strong sent a swerving half-volley inches past Mackin’s post from 18 yards.

Williams then blazed horrendously high and wide when clean through to let Tommy Baker off the hook, but the visitors came close at the other end when Scheuber slid a first-time effort wide.

The Quay so nearly levelled on 65 minutes when Howarth miskicked a back-pass before hurriedly scrambling the ball off his goal-line with Petrie looming in.

Howarth then had to be alert to hold a low O’Toole effort at his near post.

In the 78th minute, an unmarked O’Toole looked set to equalise, but the 30-goal hitman couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and Howarth smothered.

Nomads continued to surge forward but were almost caught out when Paul Mooney forced a fine save from Mackin at the other end.

With two minutes of normal time remaining Quay’s Dean Thurston was adjudged to have been bundled over on the edge of the Rhyl penalty box – despite the cries from both players and supporters who were sure the offence took place inside the 18-yard line.

There was still time for one last effort deep into added time when Petrie raced to the byline and supplied a neat cut-back for the on-rushing Danny Forde but he connected with his shin and sent the ball flying high to the anguish of the Nomads contingent.

NOMADS: Louis Mackin, Ben Alston, Ben Collins, Tommy Baker (Sam McNutt 85), Andy Alston, Craig Jones, Jamie Petrie, Alan Hooley, Gary O’Toole, Danny Forde, Stuart Scheuber (Dean Thurston 73).

RHYL: Line-up not available

Match report: Connah’s Quay Nomads website – with thanks

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: