Flashback – 10 years ago: Bucks fizz as Port falter in making their minds up

Buckley keeper Jamie Hulse saves at the feet of Marcus Orlik. Picture: Emyr Gareth

CPD Porthmadog 2 (Rhys Roberts 37 & 81)
Buckley Town 4 (Wes Brererton 17 & 33, Neil Wynne 49 & 76)
Cymru Alliance – February 26, 2011

On this date 10 years ago Buckley capitalised on defensive errors to take a deserved three points at Y Traeth.

The visitors were able to rely on a combination of sterling defence and counter attacks to complete a season’s double.

Thanks to a first half brace by Wes Brereton, followed by a Neil Wynne pair in the second period, Buckley were able to overcome a Port side for whom defender Rhys Roberts also scored twice.

It was a game full of niggly, ill-tempered fouls ending with Buckley defender Gareth Edwards being sent off for a head butt.

Had the referee produced some yellow cards earlier in the game then maybe this sanction could have been avoided and the small crowd would have been given more in the way of entertainment.

Port, with the wind on their backs, had most of the early possession with Carl Owen a threat.

They won a couple of corners and a free kick in a dangerous position which Mike Foster lifted over the bar.

But with 17 minutes on the clock Buckley scored with their first shot at goal.

Brereton broke down the right before crossing low to the near post and a rare error by Richard Harvey saw him only manage to parry the ball into his own net.

Following the goal Port continued to dominate possession with Gareth Jones Evans shooting narrowly over the bar from 25 yards and a minute later the excellent Jamie Hulse had to go down at the feet of Marcus Orlik.

Another Port attack saw Carl Owen’s effort deflected for a corner after good work by Jamie McDaid.

Buckley countered with a good break from Wynne and from the resulting corner Gareth Caughter saw his header cleared off the line by Jones Evans.

Against the general run of play it was Buckley who doubled their advantage when Brereton scored his second.

It came directly from a well taken free kick on the edge of the box which he lifted over the wall and inside Harvey’s left hand post.

Port now upped their game and a few minutes later they cut the deficit. Rhys Roberts rose at the back post to head Foster’s corner past Hulse to reduce the arrears.
The hosts continued to threaten and a good move set up by Jones Evans gave Carl Owen a shooting chance from 12 yards, but an excellent Joe Freeman block frustrated him and the same player followed with another smother to thwart Paul Roberts.

An Orlik cracker was deflected into the side-netting and Hulse pulled off another good save when Carl Owen volleyed a low Orlik cross.

Half-time: Porthmadog 1 Buckley 2

Four minutes into the second half and Buckley were handed what amounted to a winning lead when Wynne outwitted two defenders to get on to a long ball from the back, control well and score from 12 yards.

The game now became increasingly bad tempered but a strong well-organised Buckley defence denied Port the goal they desperately needed to bring them back into it.

Ryan Davies gets in a header for Porthmadog. Picture: Emyr Gareth

The hard-working Carl Owen had a header cleared off the line but then it was Buckley who found the net again.

They opened up a 4-1 lead with lone striker Wynne once again getting the better of Port’s central defenders. This time it was a long cross from the right and Wynne scored with a looping header from eight yards.

Port did manage to pull one back in the 81st minute with Cai Jones creating the opening with good work down the left and his cross was flicked on for Rhys Roberts to score with a close range header.

This was not a good day for Port. Defensive blunders made it an uphill struggle and Buckley took their chances, defended strongly and closed down quickly in midfield to take three points which Port would have expected to pick up – especially at the Traeth.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster (Craig Roberts 70), Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Gareth Jones Evans, Jamie McDaid (Darren Gowans 56), Carl Owen, Paul Roberts (Cai Jones 77), Marcus Orlik.

Buckley: Jamie Hulse, Joe Freeman, Barry Calder, Jack Rowlands, Gareth Edwards, Wes Brereton, John Leonard, Gareth Caughter, Neil Wynne, Anthony Williams (Paul Armour 76), Phil Molyneux (Jack Chaloner 88).

Referee: Howard Farrell (Abergele). Attendance: 107.

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for another excellent report.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: