Seven heaven for Caernarfon in Welsh Cup rout at Llanfair Caereinion

Action from Llanfair v Caernarfon in the Welsh Cup. Picture: Barcud-Coch Photography

Llanfair United 0
Caernarfon Town 7 (G Edwards 5 & 24, Lloyd 12, Breese 48 & 63, Thomas 76, C Williams 81)
Welsh Cup quarter-final – February 25, 2017

On this day four years ago, the Canaries stormed into the Welsh Cup semi-finals with a seven-goal away thrashing of Powys side Llanfair.

A huge support travelled from Caernarfon to witness their team in lethal form at Mount Field.

Llanfair began well until a fifth minute goal by Gareth Edwards broke the deadlock.

The hosts failed to deal with a delivery into the box and whilst Jamie Breese’s shot was cleared off the line by Matt Spencer, Edwards managed to rise above his marker to head the ball past keeper Chris Brown.

It was not long before it was 2-0. Caernarfon doubled their lead in the 12th minute and it was a beauty as Kevin Lloyd arrived late in the six yard area to meet an excellent low cross from Danny Sullivan and the striker’s first time volley nestled in the bottom right hand corner.

The visitors went further ahead in the 24th minute when Nathan Craig’s free kick in the centre circle found Gareth Edwards at the far post and the big defender finished well to complete his brace.
In the final 20 minutes of the half, Llanfair came into the game and Andrew Hughes, James Davies and Marc Jones all went close but could not get past a resolute Caernarfon.

Half-time: 0-3

In the second half, Caernarfon made it four and it only took three minutes after the restart when Breese latched onto a poor clearance from a Craig corner and struck past Brown from close range.

Breese got his second soon after when he sprinted past two defenders on the way into the area and finished comfortably.

Llanfair were finding it impossible to deal with Town’s quick passing and movement and were forced to rely on breaks from defence as they went in search of a consolation goal. James Davies was frustrated to see his excellent cross flash across the six yard box.

The Canaries added two further goals late on to complete the rout, Darren Thomas and Clive Williams putting the finishing touches to a remarkable victory for Iwan Williams’ side.

Caernarfon lost 3-1 to Bala Town in the semi-final.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: