Flashback – 20 years ago: Citizens made to work hard for win over Druids

Total Network Solutions' Marc Lloyd-Williams and Glentoran's Chris Walker (Photo by Matthew Ashton - PA Images via Getty Images)

Marc Lloyd-Williams (left) in his TNS days. Jiws scored twice for Bangor in a 3-1 win over Cefn Druids 20 years ago this week (Photo by Matthew Ashton – PA Images via Getty Images)

Bangor City 3 (Lloyd Williams 20 & 39, Giggs 48)
Cefn Druids 1 (Griffiths 45)
Welsh Premier League – February 24, 2001

Marc Lloyd Williams made it eight goals in three matches – and 10 in five – for Bangor in this victory at Farrar Road 20 years ago this week.

Despite some difficult moments in the first half City led 2-1 at the break thanks to a Jiws double and clinched the points in the second through a Rhodri Giggs strike.

The visitors nearly took a first-minute lead when Kevin Scott showed the pace to get behind the home defence but his shot was blocked by young Paul Sellers. The next meaningful action saw Lloyd Williams have a shot saved by David Williams.

Then City fans held their breath as home keeper Paul Evans needed treatment for a dislocated finger which physio Arwel Jones popped back.

Bangor took the lead on 20 minutes when impressive centre midfielder John Paul Roberts picked out Lloyd Wiliams on the right side of the box. Jiws stepped left inside the defender and beat Williams at the keeper’s right post.

On the half hour Steve Cooper was the hero with two goal-line clearances as Cefn fought for an equaliser. City also had Evans to thank for a good stop from Scott and for some cool defending from Sellers, in at centre back for Mark Thomas.

At the other end Giggs could have opened up the Druids defence a couple of times but indecision struck and he was caught in possession.

The little winger nearly increased the lead with a brave near post header from a Craig Roberts cross, but despite getting in front of the defender he sent the effort narrowly wide.

On 39 minutes Lloyd Williams met an excellent threaded through ball from Giggs to double the lead.

But slack marking in midfield allowed big Huw Griffiths to run unchallenged before firing a thunderbolt effort over Paul Evans in injury time.

Half-time: Bangor 2 Druids 1

The first meaningful action of the second period saw Aled Rowlands pick out Lloyd Williams on the right, who turned to find Craig Roberts on the edge of the box. The tall youngster calmly supplied Giggs, who fired the ball into the bottom corner.

On 50 minutes Craig Roberts turned well and tore past the Cefn defence only to be pulled down in the box. Play went on – and advantage? – and the chance went begging. Penalty? Looked that way.

Five minutes later the youngster was replaced by Paul Roberts and received a warm round of applause from the home support.

As the game progressed Sellers grew in confidence, Richard Owen used his cultured left foot to good effect, both in defence and attack, particularly snuffing out Simon Richards on a couple of occasions on the edge of the box.

If anything the game petered out, although Evans made a couple of excellent saves – one from a close range downward header was outstanding.

Cefn withdrew Mike Davies and encouraged fellow striker Scott to take throw ins, which realistically left the City defence without too many goal threats to mind.

Man of the Match – Bangor City: Paul Sellers

Man of the Match – Opposition: Huw Griffiths

Bangor: Paul Evans, Steve Cooper, Richard Owen, Emrys Williams, Paul Sellers, Clayton Blackmore, Marc Lloyd Williams, John Paul Roberts, Craig Roberts, Rhodri Giggs, Aled Rowlands. Subs: Paul Roberts, Karl Roberts, Sean Hazelden.
Druids: David Williams, Paul Morris, Mark Rutter, Aled Rowlands, Mark Allen, Huw Griffiths, Jay Davies, Rene Pinard, Mike Davies, Kevin Scott, Alan Williams. Subs: Simon Richards, Andy Davies, Stuart Thornley.

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for another excellent report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: