Flashback – 15 years ago: Robbo double secures a well-deserved Bangor win in west Wales

Paul Roberts bagged both Bangor goals at Caarmarthen. Picture: Citizens Choice website

Carmarthen Town 0
Bangor City 2 (Roberts 31 & 56)
Welsh Premier League – Feb 18, 2006

Two-goal Paul Roberts produced a Man of The Match performance alongside notable newcomer Mike Linnecar in this televised victory for Bangor.

With Kieran Killackey and Carl Lamb unavailable manager Clayton Blackmore drafted 18 year old Kyle Jones into midfield and student Linnecar up front.

Both played a big part in this away win and in particular the galloping academic was a thorn in Carmarthen’s side until his late substitution.

The Citizens took the early initiative with Paul O’Neill setting Linnecar up but his effort went across the face of goal.

Tommy Harrison went close for the travellers, the Old Gold’s Nathan Cotterrall rounded Andy Price but Blackmore cleared, Paul Roberts saw his shot blocked and again Carmarthen broke – this time through Sacha Walters – but Price made a good low save.

However, on 31 minutes Bangor had the lead.

Kyle Jones sent Linnecar down the left wing. The tall student cut inside and fired a fierce drive on target which keeper Andrew Delve fumbled into the path of Paul Roberts who beat Wayne Jones to the loose ball for a close range finish.

Half-time: Carmarthen 0 Bangor 1

Six minutes into the second half, a very long throw by Linnecar set Paul Roberts up in the Carmarthen six-yard area but he hesitated and the chance went.

Soon after Kyle Jones squeezed the ball through to Linnecar, but his close range effort hit Delve on the legs.

But on 56 minutes it mattered not as City doubled their advantage. A corner on the left delivered deep by Blackmore was misjudged by Delve and Roberts kept his eye on the ball to calmly head home from beyond the back post.

Carmarthen showed the strength of their squad as 100-goal marksman Mattie Davies came on for Martyn Giles on the hour, but it was Bangor who should have gone further ahead when Mike Walsh – enjoying a run out on the left – played in Roberts but he took one touch too many.

For the hosts, Walters continued to pose a threat with a fine run and shot which was blocked by manager Blackmore.

Mattie Davies sent Danny Thomas through but he lifted his shot over the bar. On 77 minutes Kaid Mohammed stirred from an otherwise quiet debut to run into the Bangor box but could only shoot at Price whilst under pressure from the ever-alert Martin Beattie.

Two minutes of stoppage time and the final whistle blew on a deserved Bangor win at Richmond Park, with two-goal striker Paul Roberts once again the hero. There were also fine performances from Paul O’Neill, Martin Beattie and Chris Priest, but this was a great team display.

Bangor: Andrew Price, Clayton Blackmore, Tommy Harrison, Kyle Jones, Martin Beattie, Paul O’Neill, Kenny Burgess, Chris Priest, Paul Roberts, Mike Linnecar (Layton Maxwell 82), Mike Walsh.

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice for another great match account

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: