Flashback – 5 years ago: Roberts and Pierce seal Denbigh victory

Mark Roberts (red) put Denbigh ahead. Picture: Roy Gunther/Stephen Whitfield

Denbigh Town 2 (Roberts 68, Pierce 70)
CPD Porthmadog 0
Huws Gray Alliance – January 2, 2016

Two goals in as many second half minutes settled a game played five years ago this weekend in Denbigh’s favour.

The best early chance came Port’s way just four minutes in when Eilir Edwards broke from midfield and Julian Williams struck well from 18 yards but inches the wrong side of the post.

The visitors continued to look more likely to open the scoring as Josh Davies was twice released into the box by Eilir Edwards but an excellent block from Matty Hughes put a stop to the first and then an excellent chance was spurned as this time the shot was deflected wide.

Denbigh’s first real effort on goal came with a Kristian Pierce free kick which was hammered into the side-netting.

The half ended with a real let-off for Port when Mark Roberts played a ball inside for Sam Jones who blasted over from close range.

Half-time: 0-0

At the start of the second period the home team took the game to Port with Pierce threatening first as he cut in from the left but lifted his shot over the bar.

Soon after Mark Roberts broke down the left having been put away by good ball from Dave McIntyre. The winger cut inside but his angled shot drifted wide of the far post.

Having resisted these early threats, Port came back into the game again. Stuart Rogers found Josh Davies in the box, but home keeper Elliot Power was down well to stop a shot on the turn.

This was followed by two dangerous attacks instigated by Rob Evans. On both occasions he broke along the byline on the right and delivered excellent low crosses into the Denbigh goalmouth.

The first resulted in a scramble at the near post with Julian Williams forcing the ball narrowly wide. On the second occasion Asa Hamilton’s shot was only cleared as far as Iwan Lewis whose well struck shot was blocked on the line.

Ironically this provided the game-changing moment as the ball was swept out of the goalmouth and down the left to Mark Roberts who, despite being forced wider than he would have liked, provided an excellent finish lifting the ball over the diving Richard Harvey and into the net.

Kristian Pierce. Photo: DTFC website

Port’s woes were soon multiplied when inside two minutes Pierce doubled the home advantage. He combined down the left with Roberts before cutting inside and, though Harvey got a hand to the powerful shot, he could not prevent it rolling over the line.

Towards the end Iwan Lewis forced Power into a save while Harvey was in action at the other end to keep out a shot on the turn from Sam Tate.

Denbigh: Elliot Power, Sam Tate (Sam Lewis 87) , Dan Lloyd, Matty Hughes, Tony Davies, Mike Sharples, Kristian Pierce, Anth Williams, Paul Hart (Mark Roberts 43), Sam Jones (Mike Cronshaw 60), Dave McIntyre.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Rob Evans (Gwydion Ifan 72), Gruff Williams, Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers (Jack Davies 75), Eilir Edwards, Asa Hamilton, Josh Davies (Cai Jones 65), Julian Williams.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: