Remembering Rob….memories from CPD Bodedern’s 2006-07 season (part 1)

Anglesey football is devastated by the passing of former Bodedern, Llangefni Town and Gwalchmai manager Rob Hughes.

Grassroots North Wales has received some Bodedern FC match reports from the 2006-07 season, during which Rob became first team manager, having been appointed on November 22, 2006.

The reports were written and have been very kindly supplied by Col Smith, Bodedern secretary at the time.

We will run eight of these reports over the coming days.

This was Boded’s second season in the tier 2 Cymru Alliance. They finished ninth in 2005-06 and 14th in 2006-07.

Sat 2 December 2006
Cymru Alliance League
Bodedern 7 (Paul Bryant 2, Marc Evans 2, Corey Sinnott 2, Calvin Owen) Queen’s Park 0

Rob Hughes made a pretty good start as Boded manager!

This was Rob Hughes’s first home game as manager of Bodedern FC and went ahead following a pitch inspection.

It was the only Cymru Alliance fixture on Anglesey to survive the weather on this day.

Before the match started, Bodedern were bottom of the Cymru Alliance and had never lost to Queen’s Park previously.

The islanders knew this was a good opportunity to get the necessary 3 points needed to escape the basement.

The match was to be a test for new manager Hughes who had to manage with no substitutes available, injuries and suspensions limiting Bodedern to 11 players.

As luck would have it, the Park were facing the same problems with many regulars not available to them.

The hosts started well and on 18 minutes Deion Backhouse forced a good save from Craig Edwards.

In the 38th minute, Park failed to clear the ball from in front of goal with Boded’s Paul Bryant taking the opportunity to strike from close range.

Half-time: 1-0

Six minutes into the second half saw Boded’s new 16 year old signing Marc Evans applied a cool finish after wrong-footing the Park defenders twice and beating the keeper.

Calvin Owen was to make it 3-0 on 58 minutes following some determined midfield play.

Queen’s Park attempted to push up and get back into the game leaving Corey Sinnott enough space to score on 85 minutes.

Marc Evans then scored his second on 87 before Bryant fired a screamer from wide right for his personal brace after 89.

Sinnott lobbed the goalkeeper for number seven on 90 minutes.

Overall the defence was solid, John Jones had a great game in midfield as did Bryant, who has just returned from injury.

The pace of Sinnott, Backhouse and Owen were a constant threat and it was a great start for young centre forward Evans – two goals in his first Cymru Alliance match.

Many thanks to Col Smith for match report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: