Football friendlies reports: Holyhead recover from two-down to win, Nefyn hit nine

Amlwch (blue) enjoyed a great win at Trearddur Bay. Pic: Wynne Evans

Holyhead Town 3 (Robert Thomas, Jenson Rowlands, Josh Evans)
Llangefni Town Reserves 2 (Luke Waller, Zack Haighe)

The Harbourmen fought back from two goals down to beat Llangefni with three second-half strikes.

Holyhead were much changed again, welcoming back previous week’s absentees Justin Lewis, Dale Murphy and Jordan Hughes.

Cefni made a strong start and when Dan Doyle was caught in possession the visitors striker Luke Waller capitalised to make it 1-0.

Holyhead were limited to long range chances, Luke Jones and Jenson Rowlands going close.

Five minutes before the break a Zack Haighe shot slipped through the hands of home keeper Luke Owen and at the interval it was 2-0 to the visitors.

At half time the Holyhead management made some tactical tweaks and reminded the players of what they did so well in their last game.

After the restart the hosts began to look better in possession with more shape and tempo to their play.

They halved the deficit when a corner was swung in and found Robert Thomas to fire home his first goal of pre-season.

From another corner in the 62nd minute, Jenson Rowlands saw his header cleared off the line. From the rebound Rowlands regained possession and forced a fabulous save with his shot destined for the top corner.

Three minutes later Rowlands did get his goal when he volleyed in a well-delivered cross by Luke Jones from 10 yards.

Now 2-2 and all to play for.

Llangefni still looked a threat on the counter and created a couple of half chances without threatening Owen’s goal.

In the 80th minute Dale Murphy was fouled 25 yards from goal. The free kick was spilled by the keeper and Josh Evans followed up to hammer the ball in for the winner.

Trearddur Bay Bulls 2 (Iolo Jones, Casey Gregg)
Amlwch Town 5 (Jordan Edney 2, Jack Thomas 2, Dan Jones)

Amlwch’s defensive wall deals with a free kick. Picture: Wynne Evans

Jordan Edney made it five goals in two games as he followed up his previous weekend’s hat-trick with a double in an impressive victory for Amlwch at Lon Isallt.

Debutant Jack Thomas also struck twice for the visitors, while Dan Jones, in his first game in nine months, added a single.

Trearddur Bay were second best on the day, but goals from Iolo Jones and Casey Gregg put them on the scoresheet.

Llannerchymedd 3 (James Burgess, Andy Swindells, Deion Evans)
Bro Goronwy 1

Llannerchymedd (green) take on Bro Goronwy. Pic: John Elfryn Owen

Three high quality marksmen provided the goals in this home success for Llannerchymedd.

Another good workout for Meirion Grieves and Iwan Williams’ side saw James Burgess, ex-Goronwy man Andy Swindells and Deion Evans all on target for the Medd.

Nefyn United 9 (Carl Jones 2, Dafydd Gwyn Jones 2, Dylan Sion Jones 2, Tomos Ll Jones, Ifan Jones, Tristan Parry)
Bontnewydd 1

Carl Jones scored twice for Nefyn

Goals flowed for Nefyn in a game where they faced a late change of opponent.

Carl Jones, Dafydd Gwyn Jones and Dylan Sion Jones all delivered doubles for the Penwaig.

Tomos Ll Jones, Ifan Jones and Tristan Parry were also on the mark for the hosts, who will take on a much tougher task against Nantlle Vale next time out.

Llangoed 3 (Llion Roberts, Sam Gregson, Josh Pugh)
Llandegfan 2 (Aled Davies, Sammie Williams)

Llangoed and Llandegfan shared a cracking contest. Picture: Richard Gregson

Having lost heavily in recent meetings with their local rivals Llandegfan put up a much improved performance which saw them battle back from two-down to level, only to lose out in the end.

Llangoed raced into a 2-0 lead early on with two well taken finishes but Llandegfan heads never dropped and they battled back hard.

Aled Davies, playing central attacking midfield, was the first man on the scoresheet for Arron Evans’ side this pre-season as he beat a defender to poke home a shot which narrowly crossed the line.

Before half time, a penalty was given to Llandegfan for handball. Sammie Williams stepped up to fire home down the middle and make it 2-2 at half time.

The second half was a great battle, but it was Llangoed who landed the 82nd minute decider.

Scorers for the hosts were Llion Roberts, Sam Gregson and Josh Pugh.

CPD Y Rhyl 1 (Alfie Edwards)
Corwen 2 (Owen Cordiner 2)

Two early goals set up Corwen for a narrow win over newly-formed Rhyl 1876.

The visitors soon led when a mistake from a Rhyl defender allowed Owen Cordiner through on goal. He went round Ryan Roberts the oncoming keeper and slotted the ball into the unguarded net in the third minute.

Ten minutes later Rhyl won a corner, but Corwen were able to gather the ball and hit the home side with a lightning quick counter attack which ended with Cordiner getting his second goal of the afternoon.

Rhyl’ were denied a reply before the break following a great save from Corwen keeper Joshua Atkin.

In the second half, the hosts halved the deficit when Alfie Edwards sent a powerful shot just beyond Atkin’s reach.

Late pressure from Gareth Thomas’ team almost delivered an equaliser.

Brickfield Rangers 1 (Aaron White pen)
Airbus 4 (Nathan Brown, Owen Payne, Dan Edwards 2)

Two youthful sides fought out a great footballing contest at Clywedog Park today as Airbus ran out 4-1 winners against Brickfield Rangers.

On 13 minutes Nathan Brown first had a shot well saved by keeper Rangers Keighan Jones, before moments later being played in again, this time shooting into the bottom corner for Airbus to take the lead.

Within five minutes the Wingmakers were two-up as Owen Payne looped a great shot over the keeper.

Slowly but surely though Brickfield started to impose themselves. Later in the half, a great solo run by Aaron White saw him shoot just wide of the post.

Both sides had efforts early in the second half before Airbus notched a third just after the hour, as Dan Edwards managed to score in the far corner.

The hosts and visitors continued to press one another, but it was Airbus who got their fourth on 85 minutes through Edwards again.

Brickie pushed again straight from the whistle, and within a minute won a penalty as White was brought down in the box.

There was no doubt he wanted the penalty, and he coolly finished into the bottom corner.

Late on, Owen Jones and White shared a number of one-twos, which included a back-heel from Jones, before White played in Jimmy Hill who shot on target but without enough power to beat the Airbus keeper.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: