Flashback: NWCFA Challenge Cup Final – Porthmadog v Llandudno (2009-10)

Marcus Orlik was Porthmadog’s match-winner. Picture: Emyr Gareth

Next season the North Wales Coast FA Challenge Cup competition is due to return after a six-year absence.

Grassroots North Wales is running a mini-series recollecting past finals.

In our sixth instalment, we remember the 2010 final between Porthmadog and Llandudno at Prestatyn.

CPD Porthmadog 1 (Orlik) Llandudno 0
NWCFA Challenge Cup Final – May 19, 2010

Marcus Orlik scored the only goal on 32 minutes as Porthmadog pipped Llandudno 1-0 in the 2009/10 final at Bastion Gardens, Prestatyn.

Port looked comfortable early on, and Tudno possession was kept to a minimum throughout the majority of the first half.

However, it was the Seasiders who had the first chance to open the scoring on 12 minutes when the ball fell to Gareth Evans in a goal-mouth scramble.

The majority of Port’s threat came through Orlik. He went close to scoring with a header, a long range effort and Andy Rooney had to pull off a good save to deny him after an excellent solo run.

It seemed only a matter of time before Orlik would find the net, and the goal duly arrived after 32 minutes.

Llandudno thought they had managed to deal with a tricky Carl Threadgill corner, but they only managed to clear it as far as Orlik on the side of the box.

His inch-perfect strike into the top corner was one that would deserve to win any cup final.

Port continued to dominate possession, but deep into injury time, Luke Carding was allowed to have a free header in the box. To Port’s relief, he missed the target.

Half time: Porthmadog 1 Llandudno 0

Llandudno started the second half on fire, and looked a very different team to the one seen before the interval.

Carding was in the thick of the action for Tudno and in the opening minute his header got the better of keeper Richard Morgan, but not the post.

Shortly afterwards, Morgan had to leave the pitch injured, to be replaced by Meilir Elis. Elis was called into immediate action, pulling off a good save to deny Carding.

After ten minutes of Tudno domination, Port managed to drag themselves back into the match, but as soon as they had done this, Ryan Davies was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

For the remainder of the match, neither side quite managed to stamp their authority on proceedings.

Cai Jones did well after coming on, and created one of Port’s best chances to extend their lead with a cross to Chris Jones, whose header was only inches wide, coming off the side-netting.

Although winning the cup served as a positive end to the season for Port, the fact they had already lost their place in the Welsh Premier took some gloss off the achievement.

Port: Richard Morgan (Meilir Elis), Euron Roberts, Ryan Davies, Dan Pyrs, Dylan Williams, Chris Jones, Jack Jones, Steve Jones, Carl Threadgill (Cai Jones), Marcus Orlik, Jamie Rogers. Subs not used: Aden Shannon, Mark Bridge.
Llandudno: Andy Rooney, Paul Roberts, Sean Eardley, Wyn Williams, Craig Hogg, Danny Hughes, Gareth Evans, Ben Dews, Lee Thomas, Luke Carding, Neil Coverley, Joe Carey. Subs: James Cornish, Grant Montgomery, Dylan Smith.

Many thanks to Porthmadog’s official website for information regarding this final.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: