Welsh National (Wrexham Area): Holywell beaten at last, away joy for Mold

Holywell (stripes) defend against Cefn Albion. Picture: Lee Douglas

Holywell Town’s long 16-match unbeaten streak in the Welsh National League Premier Division was ended when new leaders Cefn Albion triumphed 1-0 at Halkyn Road.

Albion now head the table by three points, but second-place Holywell have three games in hand.

The first chance fell to the Wellmen when a free kick into the box found Jacob Wise, whose well-placed header was destined for the bottom corner but Cefn keeper Joshua Roberts gathered smartly at the foot of the post.

Chances were few and far between, but Town were grateful to keeper Mike Platt in the latter stages of the half, when he punched a Dion Gibbins effort over.

The sides went off at half time with the game still goalless, but the visitors having the majority of the play.

Early in the second period, Cefn’s Jordan Williams had a snap shot which went wide before Josh Millington’s cheeky lob fell the wrong side of the post.

Town tried hard to get the breakthrough, but Albion’s defence was rock-solid.

Dylan Allshorn burst free down the left and his dangerous low cross was only inches away from being tapped in by Mark Connolly.

The deciding goal came in the 71st minute. A through ball released Alex Williams, who sprung the offside trap and slotted the ball past Platt.

Town nearly grabbed a quick equaliser. Jake Cooke’s low cross from the right just needed a touch to steer the ball home but it was a little too fast for Connolly and Mark Winslade.

Late on Allshorn forced Roberts into a great save, ensuring Cefn took the honours.

Rest of the Premier

FC Queen’s Park claimed a 2-0 victory at Rhos Aelwyd.

With the wind at their backs the Park started on the front foot and an early chance fell to Aled Powell, who cut inside and drilled home.

Both Barry Torrence and James Gregory went really close to a second.

With a number of players missing, the Park had to turn to Al Huxley as a stand-in keeper, but in truth the first half passed him by with the visiting defence standing tall.

Powell made it 2-0 when he found himself on the edge of the box, then with a drop of the shoulder he cut inside to drill home his second.

The wind died down considerably during the second half and the Park were able to counter attack at will.

Huxley was forced into a great save and credit must go to Tony Jones and Nicky Chesters for their performance in front of him.

The Park suffered a number of injuries during the game and they did well to emerge with three points and a clean sheet.

Dean Jones, Tom Douglas and Steven Jones grabbed the goals which earned Rhostyllen a 3-1 win over Saltney Town.

Jack Edwards, Jack Mountfield and Tom Wells made the scoresheet in Llay Welfare’s 3-1 victory against Brickfield Rangers.

Mold Alexandra took the honours 3-1 at Brymbo, Henry Carver, Kev Day and an own goal booking the points. Carl Lamb replied.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: