Tuesday night action from Cymru Premier and Cymru North: Rhyl and Buckley win while Nomads triumph to stay unbeaten

Asa Hamilton (white) struck at the double for Rhyl. Picture: James Curran

Results – Tuesday, September 10, 2019

JD Cymru Premier

Connah’s Quay Nomads 1 Cefn Druids 0
The New Saints 2 Newtown 1

JD Cymru North

Bangor City 1 Flint Town United 1
Buckley Town 2 Llandudno 1
Colwyn Bay 1 Llanrhaeadr YM 1
Penrhyncoch 1 Corwen 0
Porthmadog 2 Llangefni Town 2
Rhyl 4 Ruthin Town 2

JD Cymru North reports

Rhyl 4 Ruthin Town 2

Asa Hamilton (No9) is about to open his account for Rhyl from this cross. Picture: James Curran

Two goals apiece from Sam Molyneux and Asa Hamilton clinched Rhyl the victory which edged them up to fourth at the expense of a Ruthin side which lost for the first time this season.

Despite making a promising start the Lilywhites conceded first in the ninth minute when Ben Burrows turned the ball into his own net under pressure from a low cross.

Three minutes later the hosts were level. A free kick from Leo Riley via the right was met by Ben Nash, who sent the ball back into the six-yard box for the incoming Molyneux to head home.

And Molyneux was in the right place in the 15th minute to make it 2-1. A low Steve Thomas corner was met by a first-time finish from the Lilies attacker.

Unfortunately for Rhyl, Molyneux picked up an injury in scoring the first and eventually came off to be replaced in the 21st minute by Cai Owen.

Home keeper Keighan Jones rescued a dodgy situation for the hosts, then Osian Davies went close for the visitors.

On the stroke of half time, Hamilton looked likely to grab his first competitive goal for Rhyl when he confidently lifted the ball over keeper Ryan Goldston, but a Town defender was able to clear from the line.

Rhyl made a positive start to the second half and in the 57th minute Burrows’ cross from the right was headed in by Hamilton.

Dave MacIntyre’s low powerful effort brought a fine save from Goldston before Hamilton went near on two occasions.

However, when Llyr Morris netted following a free kick, Ruthin were right back in at 3-2.

Town pressed for an equaliser before Hamilton was able to create space on the left hand side of the box, shake off defenders and shoot low past Goldston to make it 4-2 in the 86th minute.

Rest of the Cymru North

Bangor City drew 1-1 with new leaders Flint Town United at Nantporth.

Andrew Brown put the Silkmen ahead, but Emmanuel Agyemang Akwa-Dei levelled for the Citizens just before the break.

Flint found the net again prior to the interval, but the goal was ruled out by the official.

The second half brought no further goals.

Buckley Town pipped Llandudno 2-1 at The Globe.

Callum Humphries headed home on 26 minutes to give the Claymen the lead and it remained 1-0 up to the break.

Dean Seager’s penalty levelled it on the hour, but soon after the hosts were awarded a spot-kick which Aled Bellis converted to clinch the spoils.

Llanrhaeadr’s magnificent start to the campaign continued with a 1-1 draw at Colwyn Bay.

Despite being under the cosh for much of the first half, the visitors led at the break through Iwan Matthews’ curling effort from 20 yards.

The Powys travellers were down to 10 men seven minutes into the second period when Tomos Jones was sent off.

Bay pressure finally told when Tom McCready’s super strike went in off the post in the 59th minute.

Only the heroics of the Llanrhaeadr keeper and a last-gasp miss from Julian Williams denied the Seagulls all the points.

Penrhyncoch edged a 1-0 verdict against visitors Corwen, Steff Davies with the second half decider.

Porthmadog versus Llangefni Town ended 2-2 at Y Traeth.

Craig Roberts put Cefni ahead, but before the half-hour Port led 2-1 courtesy of goals from John Owen and Mel McGinness.

Callum McMinimee’s 82nd minute net-finder ensured the Anglesey side went home with a point.

JD Cymru Premier

Connah’s Quay Nomads 1 Cefn Druids 0

Priestley Farquharson (red – No4) is about to score the winner for Nomads against Druids. Pic: Nik Mesney NCM Media

Priestley Farquharson’s 33rd minute goal was enough to secure Nomads three points which moved them up to fifth in the JD Cymru Premier.

Andy Morrison’s side remain unbeaten after five top-flight matches comprising two victories and three draws.

It has been a good week so far for the Deesiders, who defeated Cove Rangers 1-0 on Saturday in the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup to set up a visit to the Scottish Championship’s bottom side Patrick Thistle next month.

Nomads started well at Deeside Stadium against the Druids, Farquharson firing off target inside the first minute before George Horan headed just over.

James Davies had an opportunity for the Ancients but shot straight at keeper Lewis Brass.

A great stop from Brass then denied Ramirez Howarth before the Quay edged in front.

After great build up play from Danny Holmes and Ryan Wignall, the latter’s cross caused problems in the area, allowing Farquharson to smash home on the half-volley.

Both sides went close early in the second half before Farquharson was a fraction away from finishing off a Callum Roberts cross.

Wignall saw his attempt cleared off the goal-line, but the visitors were far from finished, almost levelling from a goalmouth scramble where Tyrone Ofori was prominent.

Further openings fell at either end, but the home side held on for the points.

The New Saints 2 Newtown 1

Champions Saints are in familiar territory back at the summit after narrowly beating occasional bogey side Newtown at Park Hall.

Ryan Brobbel and Dean Ebbe handed the hosts a 2-0 interval lead before Joe Kenton pulled one back for the Robins in the 76th minute.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: