Colwyn Bay FC sign off pre-season on a winning note – now the serious stuff starts…..

Colwyn Bay will finally get their league campaign underway when they welcome Flint Town United to Llanelian Road this Friday for a JD Cymru North clash (7.45 pm kick-off), reports Tim Channon.

The Seagulls were unable to make their long-awaited return to league football in North Wales after a 35-year absence last weekend as scheduled opponents Bangor City were under suspension ahead of their independent arbitration hearing against the FAW.

City emerged from the case triumphant, having a 21-point deduction from last season for allegedly breaching FAW rules revoked, an associated £700 fine quashed and a fresh charge of allegedly fielding an ineligible player thrown out. The club remains in Cymru North for the 2019-20 season as a result.

Meanwhile, three first half goals, including two from summer signing Mitch Bryant, secured a 3-1 home victory last Saturday over Salford City U20s development squad in Bay’s final run out before their opening league game against Flint.

Colwyn dominated much of the first half with Toby Jones and Bryant shooting narrowly wide and Daz Thornton glancing a header wide from a corner, before they opened the scoring on 13 minutes.

Julian Williams broke free of the last defender inside the area and although his shot was was well blocked by the keeper, Bryant was following up to score from the rebound.

Bryant then broke clear himself to add a second on 20 minutes and Toby Jones and Thornton both went close before Sion Edwards added a third five minutes before the break following great work by Alex Downes.

The Bay were not the same attacking threat in the second half, although Damien Ketley had a volley saved by the keeper and Downes made one superb run at pace from his own area before eventually being fouled on the edge of Salford area as he was about to break clear on goal.

As Salford came more into the game, Matty Russell cleared off the line following a corner and Paddy Rutter, who had come on for Andy Coughlin at half-time, made a good diving save before the Greater Manchester side finally grabbed a late consolation goal in the last five minutes.

Bay manager Craig Hogg was pleased with the first half performance and said: “The second half wasn’t as good, but hopefully we can take that first half performance into next week’s game against Flint.”

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: