JD Cymru North: Bangor 1876 up to seventh after return to winning form

Two-goal hero Corrig McGonigle (blue) on the ball for 1876. Picture: MATT JOHNSON


BANGOR 1876 3 (McGonigle 72, 73; Morris 87)

Report: Jonathan Ervine

Three goals in the last 20 minutes secured a return to winning ways for 1876 which lifted them up to seventh spot in the table.

Leading the charge was club record scorer Corrig McGonigle, whose quickfire double put him on 11 goals in as many league games for Bangor this season – and 14 in all competitions.

On a cold evening at Nantporth it was Bangor who threatened first in the third minute after Sam Jones broke down the right and cut the ball back towards Jamie Petrie. However, the captain’s left-footed shot went just over the bar.

In the 12th minute Bangor seemed to have broken the deadlock when McGonigle headed in a Jones corner. With the Bangor players set to celebrate, the referee consulted with one of his assistants and then ruled out the effort due to an offside.

Almost instantly Buckley won a penalty after breaking forward and drawing a foul inside the box. Danny Burgess’ strike had plenty of power but rattled the crossbar and rebounded to safety.

McGonigle had another chance after a neat through ball from Joe Sullivan. The attacker managed to lob the ball over visiting goalkeeper Ryan Goldston from just outside the box but his attempt dropped narrowly wide of the far post.

Jamie Petrie (blue) looks to win the ball for 1876. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

The visitors then had a trio of chances within a five-minute period. Liam Driscoll shot narrowly wide, then home keeper Huw Shaw did well to save from Adam Smith and acrobatically tip a header from Driscoll over the bar.

At the other end, Goldston turned away a powerful shot on the run by Petrie following a quick break.

The action continued to flow from one end to the other. Adam Boydell of Buckley headed goalwards following a corner but Joe Sullivan nodded off the line.

Sam Jones had the next chance for Bangor but fired wide after he was played in by Craig Whelan. Shaw then pulled off another good save to keep out a shot from Burgess.

Lots of chances, no goals

Half-time: Bangor 1876 0-0 Buckley Town

It was a rather subdued second half until Bangor took the lead on 72 minutes.

Sub Liam Morris played in a cross from the right and McGonigle slid in at the back post to score.

Within two minutes, Bangor doubled their advantage as McGonigle applied a neat finish.

Bangor 1876 celebrate a goal. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

With four minutes left, substitute Gethin Thomas received the ball on the right and cut it back to fellow replacement Morris, who found the net with a powerful shot from the edge of the area.

In the closing minutes a red card was shown to Buckley Town’s Josh Dunroe. Dunroe had been substituted 20 minutes earlier, but was disciplined after shouting at an assistant referee.

Bangor 1876 are next in action in a quick return away to Buckley on December 2.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.