Rest of JD Welsh Cup round three reports – joy for Colwyn Bay, Buckley and Porthmadog

Colwyn Bay players celebrate with their fans after beating Newtown on penalties. Picture: IAN FRANCIS – IF IMAGE CYMRU. HUGE THANKS IAN

The draw for round 4 of the JD Welsh Cup will be streamed on RedWall+ this Friday, November 17, at 8 pm.

Grassroots North Wales has already reported in depth on two matches from Saturday’s round three action – now here are a few more.

Newtown 1 Colwyn Bay 1 (Colwyn Bay won 5-3 on pens)

Colwyn Bay equalise! Picture: IAN FRANCIS – IF IMAGE CYMRU

This result was a marvellous boost for a Colwyn Bay side which has struggled for the most part in their debut Cymru Premier season.

Penalty-taking perfection from the Seagulls after a 1-1 draw at Latham Park was what put Steve Evans’ men through to the last 16.

The main hero for the visitors, though, was goalkeeper Joe Smith, whose fantastic saves in the match itself was a major reason behind the tie going to spot-kicks.

In a goalless first half, Smith made a fine block after a defensive error had let in Callum Roberts, and he produced two other good stops to thwart Aaron Williams.

After the break, Smith did well to turn an effort from Zac Hartley away for a corner before the home side took the lead on 58 minutes with a good finish from Williams.

Bay sub Matty Hill impressed when he came on and his cross from the right enabled Jamie Cumming to score the equaliser on 80 minutes,

Smith, who is on loan from Chester, made another great save to deny Newtown a late winner and take the tie to penalties.

The shoot-out saw Smith keep out Henry Cowans’ kick, meaning Bay’s fifth successful pen out of five from Hill put the Seagulls through, sparking wild celebrations among the travelling support.

Airbus UK Broughton 1 Briton Ferry Llansawel 2

Veteran Luke Bowen’s 80th minute penalty sent Briton Ferry through at the expense of Cymru North hosts Airbus.

Jordan Evans’ 37th minute strike gave the Wingmakers a half-time lead, but Bowen levelled on 57 before adding the decider from the spot.

Cardiff Met 2 Mold Alexandra 1

Mold matched their Cymru Premier opponents for the majority of the game but lost out by the odd goal in three.

Tier 2 Alex thought they had forced a penalty shoot-out when they found the net in added time after the 90, but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Eliot Evans put the students in front on 24 minutes, but he missed a penalty after 39 before Sam Jones made it 2-0 on 41.

Jake Roberts converted from the spot for Mold early in the second half, but despite giving it their best shot they could not prevent Met ending up narrow winners.

Llanuwchllyn 1 Buckley Town 2

A great performance from Tier 3 Llanuwchllyn was not quite enough to secure them a giant-killing over Buckley from the Cymru North.

Garmon Hafal gave the Ardal North East side a 41st minute lead, but a cracking strike from Josh Dunroe in first half added time made it all-square at the break.

In a hard-fought second period, Callum Humphries notched what turned out to be the winner on 67 minutes.

Porthmadog 5 Cardiff Airport 1

Remember The Motors and their 1978 misery anthem Airport?


So many destination, faces going to so many places
Where the weather is much better and the food is so much cheaper
Well, I help her with her baggage for her baggage is so heavy
I hear the plane is ready by the gateway to take my love away
And I can’t believe that she really wants to leave me
And it’s getting me so, it’s getting me so
Airport βœˆοΈβœˆοΈβœˆοΈβœˆοΈπŸ›©πŸ›©
Airport, you’ve got a smiling face 😁
You took the one I love so far away
Fly her away, fly her away


The match!

While the scoreline suggests this was a comfortable win for Tier 2 Port, it certainly was not the case.

Tier 4 Cardiff Airport were eventually grounded, but not before they had taken the lead and pushed their hosts very hard until the Traeth favourites grabbed a decisive 3-1 advantage on 79 minutes.

Sonny Lambert got the visitors up, up and away with a second-minute opener, but it was not long before Cai Jones levelled.

That was it for the first half, though, no further goals and Port grateful not to be behind after some superb stops from keeper Alex Ward-Jones – indeed he made vital saves in both halves.

Iddon Price edged the Eifionydd outfit in front on 63 minutes, but it did need that third with 11 to go from Rhys Alun to give the home team much-needed breathing space.

Airport had Connor Caton red-carded on 84 and despite Cai Jones having a pen saved, Telor Williams put in the rebound and Zac Pike added number five for Port in the closing stages.

Copyright Dave Jones Β© All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.