JD Cymru North – fine wins for Holywell, Airbus, Llandudno, Holyhead Hotspur and Llanidloes

Dylan Allshorn celebrates in style after scoring Holywell’s second. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


UP TO AND INCLUDING SATURDAY, MARCH 12. http://www.allwalessport.co.uk


Airbus UK Broughton 2 (Edwards 43, Eyre 77)
Buckley Town 0

Leaders Airbus moved three points clear in what is now a two-horse title race after Saturday’s 2-0 home win over Flintshire rivals Buckley .
The Wingmakers threatened early when from a Beau Cornish corner, which led to a frantic scramble, Jamie Crowther fired from the edge of the box, but Cameron Darling produced a smart save.
Buckley had a chance when Aled Bellis broke down the right and let fly, but Lewis Dutton palmed the attempt away.
Two minutes from the break, the deadlock was broken.
Cornish whipped in a great corner for defender Gareth Edwards to head home at the back post.
Ieuan Hewitt nearly doubled the lead just before the hour, but Darling kept out his strike.
Airbus certainly needed a second to create some daylight and it came in the 76th minute.
Ryan Edwards delivered to the back stick, where Jake Eyre applied the finish.

Holywell Town 4 (Andrews pen 26, Allshorn 29, Ap Gareth 41, Forbes 44)
Gresford Athletic 0

Ilan Ap Gareth taps in for Holywell’s third. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Ten wins in 13 games, just one loss in that run and up to fourth in the table – Johnny Haseldin’s Holywell are flying.
Saturday’s 4-0 win over Gresford at Halkyn Road was the latest success for the Wellmen.
Danger man Joe Chaplin had an early chance for the visitors, but fired high over the bar.
Chances were few and far between before a major turning point came in the 25th minute.
Town’s Ilan Ap Gareth burst into the box, Jack Jones took him down from behind and the referee pointed to the spot. And Jones was shown a red card.
Danny Andrews converted the penalty and the hosts were up and away.
Two minutes later, Town doubled their lead. Dave Forbes pulled the ball back to Dylan Allshorn and his first time shot flew into the top corner.
The hosts were rampant with Allshorn causing all sorts of trouble down the wing. His low delivery found Forbes, who forced Ben Jones into a great save, but Ilan Ap Gareth tapped the loose ball home at the far post.
At the other end, Keighan Jones saved well from Chaplin, then managed to pounce to prevent the striker getting to the rebound.
Just before half time, Forbes was put through on goal and finished to make it 4-0.
Holywell had several close calls in the second half, but there were no further goals.

Llanidloes Town 2 (L Jones 44, Owen 71)
Ruthin Town 0

An unexpected defeat for Ruthin to a Llanidloes outfit which had lost their previous four league games.
Lance Jones put the Daffs in front just before the break from a 25-yarder.
And Ashley Owen doubled the advantage with 71 on the clock.

Penrhyncoch 0
Holyhead Hotspur 1 (Gibbs 70)

Five games unbeaten for Hotspur and 11 points from a possible last 15 thanks to a 70th minute decider from the master of big moments Jay Gibbs.
It was an outstanding result for Darren Garmey’s side at a ground where winning is always difficult and against opponents who had whipped high-flying Guilsfield 3-0 seven days earlier.
Hotspur started slowly and could have been one down early if not for an outstanding recovery tackle from captain Alex Jones on Geoff Kellaway.
Then Holyhead settled into what was a cagey half, Dylan Summers Jones going close with a curling effort from outside the box.
Playing down the Cae Baker slope in the second half, Holyhead played with more confidence, dominating possession for long periods and dealing with the Penrhyncoch long balls comfortably.
Then on 70 minutes Gibbs was brought down on the edge of the box following good work from substitute Mel McGinness. The resulting free kick was expertly dispatched into the bottom corner by Gibbs, leaving the keeper helpless. It was the attacking midfielder’s seventh league goal this term.
Winning boss Darren Garmey said: “I thought we started slow and it took us a bit to settle into the game, but once we did we controlled the game brilliantly and never looked like losing.
“We knew what to expect from them and dealt with it brilliantly, once again defensively we were immense and that is what gives the guys in front of them the confidence to play with confidence and provide moments of magic just like Jay gave us today.”


Llandudno 3 (Danny Brookwell 10, Kristian Platt OG 21, Dean Seager 82)
Colwyn Bay 0

Friday night’s derby at Maesdu Park saw Llandudno show true class as they completed a league double over Colwyn Bay.
Narrow 2-1 winners at Llanelian Road back in October, Sean Eardley’s side’s success was far more clear cut in the return.
It was a fifth league victory on the bounce for the Seasiders, who finished the weekend three points behind leaders Airbus having played a game more.
An impressive 997 watched Friday’s clash which saw Tudno take a 10th minute lead.
Morgan Owen showed tremendous skill in running at the Colwyn defence before slipping the ball to Shaun Cavanagh.
The ex-Bangor City and Caernarfon Town forward played a short pass to Danny Brookwell, whose crisp left-foot drive bounced up awkwardly in front of keeper Andy Coughlin and found the net.
It was 2-0 after 21 minutes. Cavanagh fed over a corner from the right, Neil Ashton headed goalwards and Kristian Platt back-headed over his unfortunate keeper and into the goal.
Only an heroic defensive intervention by Platt from a Lee Thomas cross denied what would surely have been a third for Tudno before Cavanagh capitalised on slack Bay play to advance on goal, but he side-footed wide when odds on to score.
Gareth Evans was inches away with a 20-yard rocket before the points were booked eight minutes from time.
Brookwell played a slick one-two with Marc Williams before unselfishly laying it on a plate for Dean Seager to score at the back stick.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: