Ardal North West – Porthmadog’s amazing away record continues to flourish, Mold still top

Porthmadog’s Rhys Alun Williams (yellow and black) takes on Denbigh Town. Denbigh Town photography is produced by ROY GUNTHER and STEPHEN WHITFIELD


Denbigh Town 0 Porthmadog 3

Porthmadog’s remarkable unbeaten away record in Ardal North West stretched to nine wins and a draw in 10 matches as they saw off title-rivals Denbigh 3-0 at Central Park.

Craig Papirnyk’s side have been stunning on their travels since the start of the 2021-22 campaign, collecting 28 points out of a possible 30.

Their stats away from Y Traeth read….

July 31: Saltney 4-0
Aug 17: Blaenau Amateurs 4-0
Aug 28: Rhostyllen 5-2
Sep 25: St Asaph City 8-3
Oct 23: Brymbo 2-0
Dec 4: Rhydymwyn 5-0
Dec 18: Llanrwst United 0-0
Jan 15: Llandudno Albion 2-0
Feb 12: Brickfield Rangers 3-1
Mar 5: Denbigh Town 3-0
P 10 W 9 D 1 GF 36 GA 6 PTS 28

Their home record is a more modest six wins, a draw and three defeats as they sit second in the table three points behind leaders Mold having played the same number of matches.

Port were very impressive at Denbigh, who sit third in the standings now seven points adrift of Mold.

Some clinical finishing from the away strikers saw them take an early lead through Cian Pritchard and follow up with two second half goals from Rhys Williams and Paul Lewis.

It was a controversial goal on eight minutes which saw Port take the lead.

Denbigh were penalised for being offside and yet referee Rhodri Owain ap Dafydd allowed Port to take the free kick from inside the Town half.

From the resultant free kick Pritchard was able to head home from Rhys Alun Williams’ cross.

Despite vehement protests from Denbigh’s players on the infringement the goal was allowed to stand.

This should have spurred Town into a response and yet the rest of the half was a scrappy midfield battle.

Porthmadog’s Euron Lloyd Roberts (20) looks to get the ball forward at Central Park. Denbigh Town FC photography is produced by ROY GUNTHER and STEPHEN WHITFIELD

Port’s Julian Williams was put clear of the chasing Denbigh defence, but keeper Aaron Jones forced him to shoot wide of the target.

Early in the second half, the hosts had a strong penalty claim turned down when Josh Davies appeared to be bundled to the floor by Port defenders.

The travellers responded and minutes later Pritchard was unlucky to see his header cannoning off the crossbar.

On 67 minutes, Port had their second, Rhys Alun Williams applying the finishing touch to a fine move.

Six minutes later it was game over as Lewis was able to calmly finish off another Port break.

Denbigh Town
Aaron Jones, Sion Jones, Billy Holmes, Craig Rogers, Dan Clarke, Paul Fleming, Keiron Roberts, Sean James, Mark Roberts, Sam Jones, Josh Davies. Subs – Lee Davey, Jacob Barratt, Kristian Pierce, Stuart Griffiths, Mike Sharples

Paul Pritchard, Cai Parry, Josh Banks, Iddon Price, Ifan Jones, Cian Pritchard, Marcus Banks, Rhys Alun Williams, Julian Williams, Paul Lewis, Euron Roberts. Subs – James Morgan, Dewi Thomas, Stuart Rogers, John Littlemore, Gareth Jones-Evans.

Blaenau Amateurs 0 Saltney Town 7

Tom Rowlands, goalkeeper Josh Cooke (penalty), Tommy Booth, Steve Chiocchi (2) and Sam Spridgeon (2) combined to deliver a big win for the Bordermen at Cae Clyd.

Brymbo 2 CPD Y Felinheli 2

Rhys “Archie” Parry celebrates goal 100 for Y Felinheli. Picture: PHIL STEAD

Rhys “Archie” Parry netted his 100th goal for Y Felinheli, while brothers Ryan and Jack Cain played their first 90 minutes together on a landmark day for Euron Davies’ side.

Parry brought up his ton with the opening goal after 25 minutes at the Brymbo Sports and Social Complex.

Jack Cain

The Steelmen came back hard in the second half, Dan Lloyd and Alex Sheriff netting on 61 and 65 minutes respectively.

Ryan Cain (red)

Caio Hughes levelled for Felinheli on 72 minutes and it stayed 2-2 till the end, Brymbo having Aled Powell red carded after 88.

Llandudno Albion 0 Llanuwchllyn 1

A run of six straight league wins for Albion came to an end after Joe Williams’ 27th league goal of the season in first half injury time clinched Llanuwchllyn all three points at Maesdu Park.

Llay Welfare 3 Rhydymwyn 0

Llay Welfare line-up

Welfare maintained their end-of-season push towards the top spots with a convincing win over Rhydymwyn.

Jonny Taylor and Matthew Worrall (2) sealed the points at The Ring.

Matthew Worrall struck twice. Picture: BRIAN PRYDDEN

A cagey first half saw Llay go in with a marginal lead through some quick feet at the back post from top-marksman Taylor.

A tactical tweak at half time enabled the hosts to impose themselves on the game, creating the better chances.

Jonny Taylor (20) was on the mark again. Picture: BRIAN PRYDDEN

Two great goals from Worrall clinched the game and as an added bonus the Welfare kept their fifth clean sheet in a row – including at leaders Mold, where they won 2-0.

Mold Alexandra 2 Brickfield Rangers 0

Steve Watkins bagged both Mold goals after 50 and 90+2 minutes respectively to ensure Alex remain top of the table.

Rhostyllen 3 Nantlle Vale 2

Three points for Rhostyllen in what ended up a dramatic game at The Rec.

After a goalless first half, the goals began to flow in the second period.

Sion Williams headed Nantlle in front after five minutes, but on 53 Lee McBurney equalised at the back post.

Two minutes later, McBurney doubled his tally from a scramble in the box.

Within a minute it was 2-2, Harri Hughes for the visitors!

Suddenly the goals dried up. Chances fell at both ends, but neither team could find the net.

Into the 90th minute and it looked like ending a draw, but a dramatic finish was in store.

Mike Pritchard was clean through for the hosts, but was taken out by a defender and a penalty was given.

Pritchard’s kick was saved by keeper Ceirion Hall and the referee blew for full time.

But the assistant was flagging, the keeper was apparently off his line and the referee awarded a re-take.

Pritchard made no mistake second time around, lashing into the top corner and the game was won.

St Asaph City 1 Llanrwst United 1

Saints did well to grab a point after having to play pretty much 90 minutes with 10 men.

In just the third minute defender Jordan Owen was sent off for a challenge on Gwion Owen.

Callum Parry put Llanrwst ahead in the 18th minute, but just past the half-hour Jason Foulkes levelled it up.

In the 74th minute Foulkes had a penalty saved by Gwydion Owen.

Llanrwst thought they had taken the lead again when Parry found the net, but he was adjudged offside.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: