North Wales Coast West League – 50-up for 1876 hero Les Davies, Caergybi win port derby

Bangor 1876 (blue) in action against Pwllheli. Picture: MATT JOHNSON




Pwllheli 1
Bangor 1876 3

Les Davies became the second player in Bangor 1876’s short history to reach 50 goals for the club when he broke the deadlock in Saturday’s victory at the Rec.

Captain Davies, 37, followed in the shooting boots of team-mate Jamie Petrie, who was first to hit the landmark earlier this season.

Former Bangor City, Connah’s Quay Nomads and Bala Town frontman Davies, who has scored 127 Cymru Premier goals, boosted his total in the current campaign for tier 4 side 1876 to 27 by putting his team on the victory road at the weekend.

In the seventh minute there seemed to be nothing on when Davies chested down a bouncing ball on the left of the Pwllheli penalty area, but his improvised hook shot went over home goalkeeper Andrew Gunby and in off the far post.

The hosts rallied. Right-back Gethin Trenholme broke into the box but shot wide of the near post. Not long after, Jac Williams failed to find the target from a similar position.

Midway through the opening period, there were key moments at both ends.

The hosts went close to equalizing from distance when a high ball played into the box struck the post.

Moments later 1876 broke upfield only for a threatening attack to be thwarted by a foul a few yards outside the penalty area. The free-kick was taken quickly, allowing Harry Galeotti to finish well with a low shot.

HALF-TIME: Pwllheli 0-2 Bangor 1876

After the interval, 1876 enjoyed a lot of possession and much of the play took place in the Pwllheli half.

Corrig McGonigle turned and shot at goal but his effort was saved by Gunby.

1876 shoot for goal at Pwllheli. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

In the 63rd minute another goal did arrive when new signing McGonigle headed in a free-kick from Aaron Heald to find the net for the third time in his first two games.

As the final quarter hour approached, the hosts got back into things after a foul on Mark Jones allowed Jamie Banks to reduce the deficit from the penalty spot.

With renewed drive, the hosts came close to adding another, but Ben Heald was at full stretch to turn away a shot across goal.

Heald pulled off another save – this time from Banks – while 1876 threatened via several counter attacks before the match ended at 3-1.

The result puts 1876 four points behind leaders Bodedern Athletic having played a game more.

CPD Mynydd Llandegai 2
CPD Llanberis 3

Mynydd Llandegai and Llanberis players stand together for Ukraine and in tribute to the late Sean Brett, former manager of Menai Bridge Tigers who lost his life on February 26

Tomos Saynor netted twice for Llanberis in a narrow win at Penrhiw.

Gethin Maxwell scored first for the Darans before Dylan Price Jones equalised, but Saynor made it 2-1 at half time.

Saynor struck again on 56 minutes and although Ben Parker replied for Llandegai from a late penalty, the visitors held on for the points.

CPD Nefyn United 5
Gwalchmai 2

Iwan Moore (2), Ifan Gwilym Jones, Mark Dunn and Josh Piper shared the goals as victorious Nefyn edged up to third.

Jenson Rowlands and Jordan Rowlands provided Gwalchmai’s responses.

CPD Pentraeth 3
Llanrug United 3

Kian Abbott’s stoppage time leveller rescued a point for bottom side Pentraeth.

Cai Evans-Hughes and Leon Owen had put the hosts two-up within the first 25 minutes at Bryniau Field, but Llanrug hit back in the second half to lead through goals from Jake Calley-Thomas, Tomi Llywelyn and Jonathan Sadler.

‘Rug were 3-2 ahead after an hour and that is how it stayed until substitute Abbott salvaged a draw for Pentraeth.

Amlwch Town 2
Glantraeth 5

Maximum points for the visitors thanks to hat-trick hero Gethin Davies, plus single goals from Paul Bryant and Aron Jones.

Cian Jones and James Parker came up with Amlwch’s consolations.


Bodorgan 1
Bethesda Athletic 2

Connor Rees gave Bodorgan a fifth-minute lead, but before half time goals from Daniel Hughes and Noa Hughes had put Pesda in front.

The hosts gave it a good go, hitting the woodwork three times, but it was not their day.

Aron Davies for the home side and the visitors’ Daniel Hughes were both dismissed for two yellow cards in the closing stages.

Caergybi 3
Holyhead Town 1

Louis Chapman hit the 40-goals mark for the season with a double in Caergybi’s derby success.

Chapman struck on eight and 49 minutes, the second goal a penalty, while Mike Edwards also netted for the hosts.

Kaine Bentley replied for Town, who had Justin Lewis and Ian Williams both sent off for straight red card offences in the first half.

CPD Cefni 0
CPD Mountain Rangers 2

Rangers moved into the next round with a superb victory away at Cefni.

The away side started the game on the front foot and were unlucky not to be ahead early when Dion Griffiths’ first-time shot was palmed away by keeper Owain Williams.

It did not take long for Rangers to exert their dominance though, as a great through ball by Jamie Griffiths and a clinical finish by Aled Rice put them one-nil up on 21 minutes.

Rice also hit the bar minutes after.

The score remained the same at the break but Rangers started the second half in much the same positive vein.

A couple of great saves from Jason Hughes in the away goal kept Cefni goalless, but the game was put to bed on 70 minutes by Jamie Griffiths’ strike from inside the box into the bottom left-hand corner.

Llangoed & District 0
Waunfawr 5

This tie at Tyddyn Paun was over by half time with the Beganifs roaring into a 4-0 lead.

Meurig Parry, Ioan Gwynedd, Hywel Jones and Adam Jones all made the scoresheet within the first 38 minutes.

Guto Llywelyn added a fifth for good measure on 58 minutes.

CPD Llannerchymedd 3
Llanystumdwy 1

Llannerchymedd and Llanystumdwy players gather in the centre circle before Saturday’s game in memory of Sean Brett. Picture: JOHN ELFRYN OWEN

Llion Vaughan Jones scored twice in the second half clinch progression to the next stage for the Anglesey hosts.

Gwion Thomas made it 1-0 to Medd at half time before Jones doubled the lead on the hour, but player-manager Sion Parry gave Llanstumdwy hope with an 80th minute reply.

However, Jones plundered the vital third for the islanders in stoppage time.

Talysarn Celts 4
Bontnewydd 1

Jac Jones, Gerwyn Williams, a Ianto Ap Rhun own goal and Jack Usher strike sealed this one for the Celts.

Bont, who were level affter 35 minutes when Cai Edwards scored, ended up with 10 men after Gari Jones was red-carded on 77.

CPD Y Fali 2
Llanfairpwll 3

Y Fali took the lead at Cae Mwd through Jac Jones’ 31st minute goal, but Llanfairpwll were ahead by half time after Dylan Williams and Dafydd Evans found the net.

Cian Owen made it 3-1 Pwll before the hour, but the hosts refused to give in, Kenneth Williams getting them a second on 73 minutes. However, the visitors went through.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: