North East Wales Football League – wins for the Park and Castell Alun Reserves

Graphic: FC QUEEN’S PARK – with thanks


Premier Division

FC Queen’s Park 1 (Roberts 79)
Halkyn and Flint Mountain 0

Report: FC Queen’s Park

Adam Roberts scored the decisive only goal which ensured Queen’s Park nudged into the top four of the Premier.

On a difficult surface at The Dunks, playing passing football was not really the way to go.

The Park had defender Luke Hughes returning to the club and he put in a great performance next to Charlie Rowley. Both kept the line and defended well.

A couple of penalty shouts were waved away despite Halkyn appeals and Jack Hanley went close with a long range effort for the Park.

Adam Roberts was finding time and space out wide and as the half time whistle went the plan was set – utilise these wide areas in the second half and overload the back post for deep crosses.

Ryan Griffiths started the second half brightly and managed to link up well with Jake Harper in attack.

The plan was to keep the ball from the centre as the state of the pitch made it almost unplayable, so both Nathan Brookwell and Tony Jones policed the area well.

As the half progressed the Park started to over commit and Halkyn found some joy in the pockets before the hosts rearranged their shape.

Adam Roberts had been moved into the number 10 position and tried a number of speculative efforts without really troubling the keeper.

Then with about 11 minutes remaining – GOAL! Luke Hughes found time out wide to deliver a great cross to the back post where Roberts connected well to thunder a strike against the bar and into the net.

Also making his debut was Park sub Liam Davies, who looked very pacy, strong and impressive in all his running.

Halkyn dominated the closing stages as the Park sat back to protect their lead and captain for the day, Joey Jones was forced into one great save.

Special mention should go to the Park youngsters who again have played above their years.

Reserve Division

Caerwys Reserves 3 (Pritchard OG 22, Anderson 42, 56)
Castell Alun Colts Reserves 5 (Worthington 55 & 57, Nardo 71, Randles 74 & 82)

Despite leading 2-0 at half time and 3-1 after the break, Caerwys Reserves ended up losers in a goal-packed affair.

The hosts edged ahead in the 22nd minute when Louis Pritchard conceded an own goal.

Ryan Anderson added a second to put ‘Wys in a good position at the interval.

Craig Worthington replied for Castell Alun in the 55th minute, Anderson made it 3-1 a minute later, but in no time Worthington struck again to reduce the arrears to one.

Luca Nardo then made it three-apiece in the 71st minute to set up a grandstand finish.

And it was the visitors who took the spoils and showed the greater staying power, Alister Randles with a double to clinch the match.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: