Flashback – 20 years ago: Last gasp leveller earns Porthmadog a point at Llanfairpwll

Gareth Caughter was on target for Porthmadog at Llanfairpwll back in 2002

Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League – January 5, 2002

Llanfairpwll 2 (Williams 15, Harvey 66)
Porthmadog 2 (Caughter 53, Pugh 90)

Report: Gareth Williams

Viv Williams’ Porthmadog side were grateful for an added-time equaliser from Steve Pugh to earn a point at Llanfairpwll 20 years ago yesterday.

The visitors failed to take advantage and close on the leaders by virtue of taking part in the only fixture in the league on this day to avoid postponement.

The match took place on a heavy and uneven surface which was not best suited to the visitors passing game.

Llanfairpwll, having twice been ahead, would consider they ought to have taken the three points.

Port, on the other hand, would have felt that the territorial advantage and lion’s share of possession they enjoyed entitled them to the point.

Defensive frailties which had plagued Port’s recent performances returned to haunt them after only 15 minutes, when a failure to close down quickly enough in midfield allowed an innocuous looking ball to reach Tony Williams, who turned inside Patrick Johnston before unleashing a powerful shot high past Dylan Pritchard from 20 yards.

Port should have equalised when a well-placed Graham Randles headed inches wide of the far post.

Only a minute later Lee Webber nodded over from a Dave Farr cross. Webber went close again before the break.

Half-time: Llanfairpwll 1 Porthmadog 0

The second half continued as the first with Port doing most of the attacking while the home side looked dangerous with occasional counter attacks in which Billy Evans and Jason Harvey were prominent.

After 53 minutes the visitors gained a deserved equaliser when a Pugh cross from the right was nodded on by Farr to find Gareth Caughter, whose wonderful header from 12 yards gave home keeper Richard Partington no chance.

Defensive lapses continued from the visitors and after 65 minutes Llanfairpwll were back in the lead when Johnston’s tackle failed to stop Harvey, who picked himself up to shoot past Pritchard from the edge of the box.

Port rallied and Pugh slipped a low ball to Farr inside the box but the industrious striker failed to take advantage. Then Partington made a fine save to cut out a ball from the right.

In the 89th minute Pugh saw his shot well blocked by Partington and immediately after the same player chipped over when it seemed he must score.

Then, when it seemed as though Llanfairpwll had successfully ridden out the storm thanks to sterling defence by Geraint Evans and Colin Redmayne, skipper Mike Foster supplied Pugh on the right and this time the winger drove powerfully through the packed goalmouth and into the net.

Llanfairpwll: Richard Partington, Arwel Evans, Geraint Roberts, Colin Redmayne, Geraint Evans, Gafyn Jones, Rhodri Owen, Gareth Parry, Billy Evans, Jason Harvey, Tony Williams. Subs: Glynne Williams, Gareth P Roberts, Darren Moore.

Porthmadog: Dylan Pritchard, Martin Jones, Patrick Johnston, Richard Hughes, Mike Foster, Dafydd Evans, Steve Pugh, Lee Webber, Gareth Caughter, Dave Farr, Graham Randles (Steve Fisher). Subs not used: Neil Fisher, Neil Roberts.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: