North Wales Coast East League – Sports still top but Llannefydd and Rhyl 1879 right up there

Prestatyn Sports striker Ian Griffiths (red – left) scored the winner against Llanfairfechan. Picture: RAY HIBBS


Premier Division

Prestatyn Sports 3 (Jones 30, Cassidy 35, Griffiths 85)
Llanfairfechan Town 2 (W Jones 47, Croston 84)

Ian Griffiths’ late winner ensured Sports remain top of the North Wales Coast East Premier Division on goal difference.

The hosts dominated the first half, Darren Cassidy hitting the post when one-on-one with keeper Kyle Jones before Griffiths struck the bar from 25 yards.

With a little shuffle in midfield from the manager, Mike Jones got pushed further forward and it instantly paid off.

On the half-hour, Jones broke into the box, beat a defender and walloped a shot high left which the keeper could only parry into the net.

Ten minutes later Cassidy made it 2-0 with a great header at the back post via a corner whipped in from the right.

A defensive calamity two minutes into the second half allowed William Jones to pull one back for the visitors.

Fantastic goalmouth action caught on camera by RAY HIBBS

Llanfairfechan now had their tails up and attacked constantly. With six minutes left, the away side finally made it 2-2 when Elliot Croston found the net after a fine run.

With time ticking away and a draw looking on the cards, Griffiths finally got the goal his play deserved.

The veteran striker got played in on the counter attack, beat his defender and smashed low to the keeper’s right to clinch the points.

Llansannan 2
CPD Y Rhyl 1879 8

Despite missing a number of regular players 1879 extended their unbeaten run to nine games and edged up to third in the table with a ruthless demolition of Llansannan.

It took only 12 minutes for the visitors to break the deadlock, recent signing Jordan Worthington rising above defenders to head home a Ryan Hassett left-wing cross.

Three minutes later, Worthington doubled his tally with another header, glancing in a Tom Cain corner.

Carl Lamb made it three on 35 minutes, then on 39 hard-working central midfielder Dan Sim turned sharply in the penalty area to drive home a left-footed volley.

Carl Lamb notched a treble for the visitors. Graphic: CPD Y RHYL 1879 – WITH THANKS

On the stroke of half time the home side managed to capitalise on a defensive error and pull a goal back through Gruff Roberts.

Llansannan came out of the blocks quickly in the second half and following a wicked bounce Roberts struck again to make it 4-2. Was a stunning comeback on the cards?

Answer – no. Two further goals from Lamb in the 57th and 59th minutes secured him a hat-trick – and 18th and 19th net-finders of the campaign – which put the visitors firmly back in control.

Hassett looped a spectacular long-range effort over the home keeper and soon after Worthington’s cross was deflected in by home player Adam Gage for number eight.


Improving Bro Cernyw made it back-to-back away wins with a 3-1 verdict at Kinmel Bay.

Euan Taylor put the hosts in front with a ninth-minute header before Carwyn McFadden equalised on 16 when he nodded in a deep cross from Cai Price.

On the half hour home player Daniel Wickerson had to leave the field and receive treatment for a nasty head wound. Everyone wishes him well.

Into the second half, and on 57 minutes Wil Hughes broke through the Kinmel defence, his shot deflected off goalkeeper Josh Wilmot and Dafydd Jones scored from 10 yards.

On 83 minutes, Price broke away and crossed to Harry Kirkham who made it 3-1.

Llandudno Junction edged a 3-2 victory over Penmaenmawr Phoenix thanks to a very late decider.

Daniel Williams put Pen in front with a ninth-minute spot-kick, but goals from Dion Jones and Harry Parkes-Smith had the Railwaymen ahead by half time.

Ben Hughes made it two-apiece on 61 minutes, but Jack Williams bagged an injury-time winner for the hosts.

Llannefydd thrashed Glan Conwy 4-1, Llion Morris, Elgan Roberts, Ciran Jones and Luke Appleby all on target in the first half for Gwyndaf Pritchard’s men, Darren Landers with a late consolation for the visitors.

Llandyrnog United took the honours 3-2 in a good contest at Rhuddlan Town.

Garmon Hafal, Sean James and David Lawson Cooke were the Dyrny net-finders, Ray Knight and Jordan Bellham for the hosts.

Meliden and Mochdre Sports played out a 0-0 draw.

First half chances for Meliden included Sam Haddon striking a free kick which Nic Bould parried away, Sam Duffy getting crowded out by the Mochdre defence and James Cairns’ chip landing on top of the net.

In the second half, Rhys Dowinton had an opportunity but his shot lacked power, while Gyorgy Szabo’s header cleared the bar.

Cairns had a late free kick twice blocked before he was sent off for a second yellow card offence in the 90th minute.


Llysfaen beat Y Glannau 2-1, Jake Reynolds and Nathan Russell on target for the hosts, Joshua MacGillivray replying.

NFA hammered Betws-y-Coed 9-0, Liam Bowers leading the charge with a hat-trick.

Hugh Holland and Morgan Davies bagged a brace apiece, while Paul Vinall and Nathan Jones added singles.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: