Flashback – October 30, 2010: Porthmadog edge a nine-goal stunner

Marcus Orlik (No 10) knocked in a hat-trick at Welshpool while team-mate Paul Roberts (also pictured in this attack) scored twice and was involved in all five away goals at Maesydre. Picture: DOROTHY WILLIAMS


Welshpool Town 4 (Lee McElmeel 7 & 89; Dan Tolley 66; Andy Webb pen 73)
CPD Porthmadog 5 (Marcus Orlik 22, 26 & 90; Paul Roberts 47 & 59)

On this day 11 years ago Porthmadog were involved in what must rank as one of the most thrilling Cymru Alliance League contests ever.

Chasing a seventh straight away league win, Port looked home and dry at Maesydre with a 4-1 lead just before the hour.

However, Powys hosts Welshpool battled back to level at 4-4 and the visitors needed an added-time goal by hat-trick hero Marcus Orlik to get out of jail and snatch a victory.

It was the mid-Wales Lilywhites who struck first, however, totally against the run of play.

Andy Webb played a hopeful ball in from the left, home forward Lee McElmeel was first to react and fired past Richard Harvey unchallenged.

After 22 minutes came the equaliser when Paul Roberts slipped a perfect through ball for Orlik to run on to.

The forward then coolly slotted the ball past advancing keeper David Jones.

It needed only four more minutes and Port were ahead. Paul Roberts again was the supplier, running on to a good ball played into space by Rhys Roberts.

The striker rode a tackle before crossing low to the back post, giving Orlik a simple tap-in.

Though Port continued to dominate they failed to turn pressure into goal chances.

Half-time: 1-2

Port struck two minutes after the interval when Paul Roberts got in behind the defence and, though Jones did well to save his initial close range shot, the Traeth great headed in the rebound.

On 59 minutes, Rhys Roberts rose to head a Mike Foster free kick back into the goalmouth and Paul Roberts was on hand to send a rasping shot through the crowded box to score.

What was to happen next could hardly have been predicted.

In the 66th minute, with Harvey down in the box, the ball was lobbed towards the unguarded goal. Back was Foster, whose attempted clearance header struck the bar and sub Dan Tolley nodded into an empty net.

Then referee Martin Williams entered the fray, surprising everyone by waving a yellow card at Rhys Roberts for an alleged shirt pull at a corner from the left. He then pointed to the penalty spot.

Webb converted and now at 4-3 it really was game on.

The home side raised their game and suddenly they were first to the loose ball. Port’s play lost its confidence and composure.

Then with a minute left, the away team defence was caught expecting another offside decision.

McElmeel could hardly believe his luck in space and lifted his shot over Harvey for 4-4.

But there was an unlikely sixth goal in this amazing second half.

Paul Roberts, who had been involved in the four Port goals, played a part again in a fifth. He broke into the box on the right and cut the ball back for Orlik to fire the winner from 12 yards, completing his hat-trick.

What a stunning encounter it had been.


Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Dan Pyrs, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies (Gareth Owen 64), Rhys Roberts, Richie Owen, Jack Jones, Cai Jones (Jamie McDaid 64), Paul Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Iwan Williams. Subs not used: Darren Jones, Barry Evans, Geraint Mitchell.

Welshpool: Dave Jones, Scott Jones (Zac Manhire 63), Paul Dowridge, Chris Barker, John Harris, James Neill (George Clifton 85), Tommy Lewis, Lee McElmeel, Steve Tomkins (Dan Tolley 61), Scott Bright, Andy Webb.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: